Just done a stupid thing

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ellisdj said:
Its the not the fact the bits are coming off the different storage methods that makes a trumpet sound like a drum beat on a HD compared to an SSD - its the overall noise level of the source that is affected differently by these methods, to get better sound from the computer source you need to get the noise down as low as possible.

This improves clarity and improves soundstaging, timing and realism and helps reduce the nasty digital sound that we all despise.

Spend some time with a PS Audio DirectStream Dac and hear how a system sounds on the end of a very low noise dac like this - how much clarity is really there on digital files.

Then listen to what the designer says about noise and its effects on sound and it will make more sense to you in practical terms 

rubbish.  Most of it plays from ram which means the HDD/SDD is irrelivent in this context.  Plus, as I've already said, if what you say is true, digital recording would be impossible, which we know it's not.

If someone offered you choice of either SSD or hd for no extra cost, which one would you chose?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If someone offered you choice of either SSD or hd for no extra cost, which one would you chose?

in what context? I'd generally stear towards SSD primarily due to the speed of things. But for pure storage it has to HDD as they don't make SSD's big enough yet.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Each to their own as always cheeseboy.

If I was using a laptop as my source I would feed into from an external USB Caddy and SSD drive with the music on only.

So the music is not on the OS HD which I would also swop to an SSD but that is just me

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
Is not a problem these days All my CDs ripped to flac is hardly taking up much space at all.

What I hate is my noisy laptop as the source
Is that physically noisy, as in whirring disks and fans, or electrically noisy in a way that DACs seem not to like too much?

Noisy as in fans and such noise.
Does not effect the dac operation one bit

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
Is not a problem these days All my CDs ripped to flac is hardly taking up much space at all.

Is that physically noisy, as in whirring disks and fans, or electrically noisy in a way that DACs seem not to like too much?

Noisy as in fans and such noise. Does not effect the dac operation one bit

Laptops as a general rule are bloody noisy when the fan kicks in because they are so small. If you wanted fanless, have a look here http://www.hystou.com/products/fanless-mini-pc/c-2/

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:

Noisy as in fans and such noise. Does not effect the dac operation one bit

Laptops as a general rule are bloody noisy when the fan kicks in because they are so small.  If you wanted fanless, have a look here http://www.hystou.com/products/fanless-mini-pc/c-2/

Some of them look good value

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Some of them look good value

aye none too shabby. I couldn't comment on how well they are grounded or anything like that though, so there may be noise coming down the usb line, who knows! I'll probably take a punt at some point. I think Gigabyte also do some fanless NUC computers.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd use an external drive if I were you, all that fresh air around them gives the music a more open soundstage. Internal drives give the music a closed in sound. And as the dust collects inside, so the music becomes musty, and a bit smelly.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrew your a computer programmer build one 

Yes I can do that also but ATM the cost is still high and I'm really tied up with life etc
Btw I'm not a programmer I was just software and networking support for a fleet management company I used to work for in south african. I can build pcs though. I always used to build them myself and get all the best parts for the money etc. Only since living here that I just buy them instead.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
Andrew your a computer programmer build one 

Yes I can do that also but ATM the cost is still high and I'm really tied up with life etc
Btw I'm not a programmer I was just software and networking support for a fleet management company I used to work for in south african. I can build pcs though. I always used to build them myself and get all the best parts for the money etc. Only since living here that I just buy them instead.
With such background and ability to build them yourselves you know that the two components that matter so much are always the ones that pre build PC are the worst offenders for. Namely power supplies and motherboards. I won't even mention cooling.

Only downside to putting them together yourself is they will cost much more as each part will be quality.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Build it how I tell you and I will make a beliver out of you - thats a gaurantee 

I think I may have the plans for such a build but have not had time to read them yet.
But I will and cost it all up

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
And I don't have that much music compared to most of you I bet.

3455 songs in total that would take
9.8 days to playback from start to finish.

All ripped in wave and only taking up 139gb

From memory the same in flac was between 70-80gb on the level compression I selected.

So as space is no issue I'm happy with wave from now on.
Can't really hear any difference though and did not expect to either. But I don't really need the advantage of less storage as it's neither here or there.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

3455 songs in total that would take 9.8 days to playback from start to finish.

From memory the same in flac was between 70-80gb on the level compression I selected.

So as space is no issue I'm happy with wave from now on. Can't really hear any difference though and did not expect to either. But I don't really need the advantage of less storage as it's neither here or there.

What about tagging information and artwork?

WAV doesn't support either of these.

steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:

So as space is no issue I'm happy with wave from now on. Can't really hear any difference though and did not expect to either. But I don't really need the advantage of less storage as it's neither here or there.

Good point! You don't want a 4,000 track random play!!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:

I've not noticed any difference to flac regatds tagging and infact it has been more reliable than last time but could also be the upgraded version of jriver.

It may be the same but seems to rip faster also.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Good point!  You don't want a 4,000 track random play!!

That's exactly what I do just hit shuffle.
Although I have my music arranged into only 4 genre:
Hard(korn, system of the down, rage against the machine etc)
Medium(anything from Lana del Rey to nirvana)
Soft(things like Lisa Gerrard)
Live any live recording

And I just hit random
Even when I get a new cd I sometimes just leave the software to play it as and when. I find I enjoy much more like that and very rarely listen to.a.whole cd like I used to.do

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Good point!  You don't want a 4,000 track random play!!

That's exactly what I do just hit shuffle.
Although I have my music arranged into only 4 genre:
Hard(korn, system of the down, rage against the machine etc)
Medium(anything from Lana del Rey to nirvana)
Soft(things like Lisa Gerrard)
Live any live recording

And I just hit random
Even when I get a new cd I sometimes just leave the software to play it as and when. I find I enjoy much more like that and very rarely listen to.a.whole cd like I used to.do
I like your picks from Hard category :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts