Just buying a screen, not a TV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:
6th.replicant: Might have something to do with the fact that the last four TVs that I've purchased ALL had fundamental faults.

Gosh! You're incredibly unlucky!!!
emotion-3.gif

Ah, but you know what they say: 'A man who's unlucky with TVs is lucky with hifi!'

So far...

Touches wood...

Damn, probably jinxed that too...

A

Anonymous

Thanks again all :)

I have to say that if I need to do some complex work around with HDMI cables..... then 3D is out full stop and will be for the foreseeable future. I didn't spend £1300 odd on an amp just to chuck the ****** out the window as soon as somethign else comes along. I think I might be better off spending quite a bit less and just having a top notch 2D experience instead. Frankly, this is my first decent stereo and it already blows me away :)

So - if the panasonic is out (unimpressed by quality issues feedback on this thread!!) Then I'll go just 2D and be happy with it for 5 years until they iron out any 3D issues :) ) - what should I go for instead and is there any significant quality differences between say £1,000 and £1,500 models.

Thanks again - didn't expect controvercy here!!

cheers

A

Anonymous

tetsugaka ..

one person in this thread said he was not impressed by any of the 3d tvs he had seen , not just panasonic , that is just one opinion , i certainly wouldnt rule out 3d because of it ..

if you did decide on a 3dtv , you wont have any issues with hdmi cables , just use the ones you currently have , they will work fine , and so will your expensive av receiver , just so long as you buy a panasonic 3d blu-ray player as suggested ..

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Maxflinn, out of interest, for how long have you had your Panasonic 46G10; approx how many hours has it done; and are the black levels still as deep as when it was new?

I ask because I'm contemplating a Pana plasma - not 3D! - but I'm wary of the the recent Pana plasmas' reputation for fading black levels.
emotion-3.gif

Ta
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

yes 6th , i do believe my tvs blacks are not as black as when the tv was new , i contacted panasonic , who said that the tv is working fine , and thats that ..

now you might ask why im still reccomending pana tvs ? because even though i think the blacks are not quite as deep , they are still deep enough , and the picture my tv produces , is imo better than that of any lcd tv i have seen , and yes , im still buying a 50vt20 ..

just came from a store where i demoed one , e2400 , amazing 3d picture for me , the samsung 46c8000 was good too , but i know which one would look the best once in my lounge , calibrated , under sensible lighting ...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:yes 6th , i do believe my tvs blacks are not as black as when the tv was new , i contacted panasonic , who said that the tv is working fine , and thats that ...
Thanks for reply.

Sounds a similar scenario to my recently returned Philip TV's ever-increasing backlight-bleed. FWIW, Trading Standards/Consumer Direct (TS/CD) advised that because the TV was not performing to the same standard as when purchased, therefore, the TV had a fault and fell under the 'not fit for purpose' caveat.

TS/CD advised that one has the right to expect a product to perform to the same standard as when purchased - up to six years after purchase. You'd be justified to argue that your Pana's when-new black levels were part of your reason for buying the TV in the first instance.

If the manufacturer/retailer says that the TV cannot be repaired, then they've effectively backed themselves into a corner and admitted that the product has a design fault, which was the case with my Philips TV.

Considering the above, you could try returning your G10 to the store/retailer and say that you require a credit note - retailers prefer it if you don't demand a refund - which you could then put towards the cost of the 50VT20 (assuming the same retailer sells the latter)?

Worth a punt?

A

Anonymous

to be really honest i cant say for sure if the blacks have faded , in the daytime they look jet black , its only when viewing in total darkness , do i think they may have been blacker , shadow detail is still excellent , i recall a few other forumites bought pannys around the same time as me , last november , hmtb and strapped for cash , i dont think either of them have noticed any problems ..

i wouldnt go back to the store unless i was sure that the blacks were faded to such an extent as to impact on the tvs performance , and im not , so ill keep it , for a little while longer , till i get its big 3d brother
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:maxflinn:
...hmtb ...
HMTB? Do you mean Heart Moves the Blade or Hand Made Teddy Bears or...?couldnt tell you what it stands for , but i know hes a very smart young man , who has an andreweverardesque way of wording things in the queens best english , and of course , great taste in tvs
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts