Buying a new TV.

More correctly our daughter is buying it.

Our old LG LED is now 10 years old and showing its age. At least once a day it just cuts out. The power light goes off. Have to unplug it for 5 minutes before it starts to work.

Max screen size is 40", from the likes of LG, Philips or Samsung. We're off to Currys tomorrow. I know TV aficionados will say a waste of time. But a very large screen does my head in.

If it wasn't for buying the speakers I would be buying it.

Bless our daughter.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I know what I need to see for a good picture - it has to have good fast motion. Affordable LGs do that side very well. Also like the Philips plus the sound quality is superior to other similar-sized screens. Also fascinated by their Ambilight technology.
I found Sony's picture processing and motion control to be excellent. It's worth checking side by side with other brands. You really can't go wrong with Samsung, LG, Philips, Panasonic and Sony. They're all coming up with excellent TVs.

Gray

Also fascinated by their Ambilight technology.
I've watched Philips TVs in a couple of different houses.
First time I saw it, I liked the Ambilight, thought it added something worthwhile - more than just a gimmick.
More recently found it a bit annoying.

First owner was a bit of a videophile, second not.....so maybe you can set the parameters to avoid annoyance 🤔
(No doubt it can be switched off altogether).
In both cases I found the picture quality great though.
And always been a fan of Sony and Panasonic TVs.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
rule one do not go over budget size is not everything 65 and over have to be mounted on a wall ,rarely they are not. But be carful where you put it on the wall keep away from a cold wall and over a heater (yes many make mistakes)
remote controls too TCL has a crap one bit of plastic then what do you expect on a good but cheap 50 inch . Lucky all modern TVs can use blue tooth and a programable remote. The sound quality of all cheap TVs is generally poor by modern standard . Strangely my 2012 model PLASMA has a much better sound as standard no extra connections . what do you expect for £256 still as good as many £500 on picture alone . There is much worse out there less than £350 50 to 55 inch is the standard but remember the bigger the screen the better overall picture you going to need . Even m any 70 inches pictures are no better than a 50/55 . Yes the Sony is the best at a best price £2500 you expect the best TV ever made probably right but is it worth ten times the price of a TCL 2022 50 inch not in a million i just wonder if it is possible to run 2 TCL 50 inch together like a Computer monitor split screen ? perhaps much too much yo expect but it does have PC mode does it not ? run it through a pc

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
40 is an odd size either a 37 or 43 i would go for a 43 inch even though it is not a standard size anymore However there are monitors that size work through a PC. I notice a new ASUS monitor? on the market

TV purchased. Delivery 3-5 days.

Had no Sonys in the required size or budget. Currys Do dont stock any Philips, they're usually send direct from Philips factory.

Saw a TCL 32" which looked good for the money. After pestering the sales guy with questions, eventually plumped for a JVC 39". No idea what the picture is like, had none on display.

daveh75

JVC are just badged engineered Vestel TVs these days, which aren't renowned for their quality.

Buying a budget TV without viewing it seems a little unwise/risky to me.

Haven't you got a Richer Sounds or John Lewis nearby? Where you could have viewed them, and crucially, both are known for their returns policies.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
JVC are just badged engineered Vestel TVs these days, which aren't renowned for their quality.

Buying a budget TV without viewing it seems a little unwise/risky to me.

Haven't you got a Richer Sounds or John Lewis nearby? Where you could have viewed them, and crucially, both are known for their returns policies.
Concur. We are changing it purely because I didn't allow for a bigger rack, which is designed for a 32". So we're changing it to either a Samsung or LG 32", probably the latter as we like budget LG flat screens

Reactions: WayneKerr
Aaaah, the good old days of walking into your local Comet…
Comet were great.

Convinced eye surgery is easier than buying from Currys.

Changed the TV for a LG but to get to this point it was a marathon. Nearly half an hour on the phone speak to someone who vaguely resembles a human being to tell me I had to go in-store.

Once there we explained we wanted to change the order from last night. He asked who served us, and I said "the youngster with the curly ginger barnet." He looked liked a mad love child of Mick Hucknell.

When this guy went onto his computer, he said there was no stocks of the JVC we ordered. When I pointed to about 10 boxes of the TV we ordered, which were stacked in the middle of the shop, he turned a funny colour. (Don't these people look?)

After spending another 45 minutes in the store so he could change the paperwork, add in the 30 mins on the phone and nearly an hours round trip, it's been a strange day.

WayneKerr

I prefer to buy from a physical shop if possible but Currys do test my patience with their continual pushing of additional insurance. My general answer to them is "I've come here to purchase an electrical item, not an insurance policy!".

Guess they get commission on insurance sign-up.

Reactions: plastic penguin
Richer Sounds is the best. They have a dedicated demo room in my local branch and can arrange demo. They also give a 6-year warranty on TVs.
Learned my lesson. Currys are good for washing machines (still have the Samsung you recommended to me years ago) but anything else they're a pain.

Richer Sounds I've used many times for various things incl the Dalis. No real complaints.

From now on I'll give Currys a wide berth.

Reactions: bigboss

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My wife & I bought an LG OLED55C24 from JL in Nov22. This is currently used without external sound. I also own last year's 55” G1 that uses its optical out into a DAC. I was astonished how good the sound is on the C2 - being thicker than the Gallery series where the speakers are firing down.
The picture IQ beats the G1 (& internal sound) - its motion artefacts are better handled than last year's models.
LG also make both 42 & 48” models that won’t quite match the peak brightness of the 55” & larger but are hardly dim. If you want the pinnacle of motion control - it’s Sony but at a price!

Getting a bit peed off with Currys. Still haven't received the new TV yet.

My daughter has paid for it and Currys told her she would be reimbursed for the JVC. Not received.

She was told when we re-ordered that she would receive a second email as confirmation. Not received, even though her money went through okay. As it's getting close to Christmas maybe it'll take a while. This 'while' is starting to grate with me now.

May have to take another trip down there, this'll be the third trip. Another 20 mile round trip. I'm almost on the verge of cancelling the order and buying from Richer Sounds.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
better off with Amazon TCL 50 inch £256 50 a month 5 months no apr. there are such a choice Richer is a bit pricey do not buy there warranty Amazon order came within a few days Hisense LG Samsung TCL etcetc

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Richer sounds do not sell TCL at all they only have 3 Hisense only . The 6 year is not worth the paper it is written check the details on it what is included and not included . Normal usage clause is in every contract . what is normal usage ? If you want to collect the TV (prefer) then great . They do not go out of there local areas , If ytou can buy it put it in your car hey presto I f unless paid more than £500 for a 50 inch you find no better TV even the Hisense 2022 is not as good but beware there are a number of 2020 models they could not sell about and 2021 . Check the year of manufacture first . Hisense and TCL are the best 50 and 55 inch for the money Samsung cheapie is not as good and that is now £399 . But if you like Samsung then buy it. I have looked now for 2 years about changing my TV . It took that long trust me . Downside on the cheapies the speaker is not great and probably the remote too ( TCL) Off course spending £2k look at the best on the market the SONY , but it needs to be a big screen . Keep an eye on the new Hisense 70 inch it not cheap but almost half the price of the Sony . If you gave me £400 to spend it would be a LG 55 inch . But as it is my money and not you giving it to me. I stick to cheap good TVs . I probably get another £256 TCL on that deal if it is there or maybe a Hisense 2022 who knows still keeping my PLASMA until such time

Richer sounds do not sell TCL at all they only have 3 Hisense only . The 6 year is not worth the paper it is written check the details on it what is included and not included . Normal usage clause is in every contract . what is normal usage ? If you want to collect the TV (prefer) then great . They do not go out of there local areas , If ytou can buy it put it in your car hey presto I f unless paid more than £500 for a 50 inch you find no better TV even the Hisense 2022 is not as good but beware there are a number of 2020 models they could not sell about and 2021 . Check the year of manufacture first . Hisense and TCL are the best 50 and 55 inch for the money Samsung cheapie is not as good and that is now £399 . But if you like Samsung then buy it. I have looked now for 2 years about changing my TV . It took that long trust me . Downside on the cheapies the speaker is not great and probably the remote too ( TCL) Off course spending £2k look at the best on the market the SONY , but it needs to be a big screen . Keep an eye on the new Hisense 70 inch it not cheap but almost half the price of the Sony . If you gave me £400 to spend it would be a LG 55 inch . But as it is my money and not you giving it to me. I stick to cheap good TVs . I probably get another £256 TCL on that deal if it is there or maybe a Hisense 2022 who knows still keeping my PLASMA until such time
Your situation and PP's situation is totally different. 6 years warranty is totally worth on paper. Even my Kuro needed a panel replacement just before its 5 year warranty was over, replaced for free.

Please don't spread false information as Richer Sounds offer free delivery nationwide on their TVs. They're rated the best in customer service and after sales support in the country.

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Hold on what is the manufacturers warranty ? Samsung warranty on new TVs is 5 years The minimum on Samsung is 2 years but OLEDs are 5 years so what is this Richer sounds warranty ? Is the Richer sounds one free??? or pay extra there is another problem every TV has a minimum by law is 1 year . best advice do not relie on a warranty. The TV could drop or get damaged by flood or accident . That is not covered so you do the right thing and insure the TV on your house hold insurance and list it as a separate item list the s/n number and full details of when bought . You buy a TV may cost over £1000 quite easily . That 70 inch is on your wall ,drops on the ground ( i personally would never put any Tv on any wall myself , especially modern houses do not have solid walls. I would not be an expert but i did receive all the commission on a insurance policy i wrote out myself at Norwich union head office on a motorcycle , so unique that they had never insured this bike before and worth a hell of a lot of money (1989). So i have a bit of experience in commissions and writing out insurance contracts too . Each of my top of the range bikes Honda Goldwings was on the same insurance ;policy unique at the time I had 3 of these in the garage . This is why i neg a special contract with them in person

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts