Buying a new TV.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Well, it's up and running. Have to say the picture is more vivid, crisp and just cleaner. The purity of the picture is very impressive for a cheapo TV.

My daughter is currently setting up all the apps.
Bless her, our daughter is setting all subscription channels (Netflix, Amazon & Disney +), and she's volunteered to pay for it.

The only downside to this TV is I'll have to buy a cheap Dac to connect to the amplifier. I'll address that after the festive period.

Last edited:
Have to say the more I watch it the better it gets. Whether it's old episodes on ITV X, BBC iPlayer or whether played through the Sky Box.

Not saying for one moment it's anywhere near as good as the bigger OLEDs or 4k, but for a entry-level LED it's very impressive.

Comparing it to the outgoing LG, is like comparing a DVD with a Bluray: the leading edges vastly precise, natural, bright colours, good blacks and, like most LGs, really impressive with fast motion.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
nice sorted out the TV as most of you know i bought the TCL 50 its a good tv well happy and very cheap too ( there are times the PLASMA is better or as good on 1080P ( Freevee in particular) Its only on 4k you notice a difference . There is even a better TCL the new 2023 model , now available in QLED? ( is it full QLED ) But you pay what you can afford. And get advice from here is a good way to do it . But glad you are happy at last.. Would i buy from Curries no way Jose . Unless i can take it away with me that day . look at Amazon reliable buys and deliveries . I may change my TV , the PLASMA next year "maybe" . It still gives a superb picture even compared with the TCL But it is not our main TV its the one i use in the bedroom the wife likes the TCL ( so do i) Buying a new TV is like buying a new car you see the adverts the claims and expert opinions from you hope are experts not guys being paid to sell the TVs . Only difference not paying £20k for one , you keep for years ( or leased for 2 years or so ) . But it is the same in a way , TVs should last for year maybe up too 5/6 years of ownership . It is sort of the same thing

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Its strange that now Albums are out selling CDs now How long will it before people get bored with digital downloads (amazon or Spotify or even |You tube ) yet willing to pay £30 for an album ?
But use that lovely TV audio to connect to your lovely record player here real music rather than something digital , which is pure? But people do not want pure anymore they want 78s 45s and 33s

Its strange that now Albums are out selling CDs now How long will it before people get bored with digital downloads (amazon or Spotify or even |You tube ) yet willing to pay £30 for an album ?
But use that lovely TV audio to connect to your lovely record player here real music rather than something digital , which is pure? But people do not want pure anymore they want 78s 45s and 33s
Digital music will represent 99% of all sales. The purists and "audiophiles" are a minority. In today's world of wanting things straightaway, people don't want to wait for their CD to arrive. CD player sales are massively down. They're not portable and it takes an effort to convert them to digital music to upload on your phone or portable music player. The future is digital and physical media will die a slow death.

Not sure how this post is relevant, given my main source has always been vinyl.

This just adds to the vinyl and CD sources (and radio of course)

jjbomber

My daughter has set up Spotify and I've been listening to some Nirvana tracks from the 'Nevermind' album. Can't wait to get a cheap Dac to connect to the amp.

(Welcome to the 21st Century PP 😋)
You may be able to connect it to an Echo Dot. The third or 4th gen have a headphone output that you can connect to your amp. Just need a 3.5mm to 2RCA adapter. Probably £20 all in. Your daughter may even have these lying around.

kdbur

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
A 14 year-old Pioneer is not better than a decent OLED. You seem to keep repeating this because you want it to be true, but as someone who has owned Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas and an LG OLED, I can confirm that it's simply not true.
Indeed, my lovely panny 65'' plasma looks awfully dark and dull compared to my oled in another room and it was the 'bees knees' when I bought it many years ago....

Really enjoying the little LG, fabulous picture. The only negative is installing a app is quite tedious. The search section (A-Z) is slow and laborious.

This evening installed UKTV Play. Once you go through all the letters, agree their T&Cs and 'Continue', gawd it's a faff.

Otherwise it's brilliant VFM set.

Reactions: bigboss

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
there is a question whether spending a large sum on a new TV , just because next door has a 70 inch is good idea at all . How many of those buy these huge tvs , just because him next door has one. I suspect a large percentage ,that must keep up with the Jones family. And then simply put the thing , on a wall , because they want everyone in the road to see there tv . Unless they have a huge interest in Home cinema ,with a large collection of BluRay dvds.( pointless) . But hid the screen in a special room ,with large speakers . Walls are often not the best place , as most of us have paper walls , not really suitable , and what about the noise being so close to the next doors "paper walls" . Then they are annoyed about the noise from the TV . Yes i am one of those that rather spend under £400 on a cheap tv (55 inch or 50inch ) Then perhaps add another tv in another room (second lounge or dinning room . That be still cheaper then buying one 70 inch tv on the wall , where you cannot get too close to the tv , as the screen is too big . This then asks ,you do realise that having a big screen is great , but very few transmissions are actually on 4k ( BT Ultra sport ) So that big screen is not going to look so good after all , unless watching 4k vids all days long

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
This thread has gone a little all over the shop, but that's the OP's prerogative. But speculating about other people's motivations for choosing a TV set is probably going off topic.
But what are the reasons why someone wants a tv and advice is good ? is it not

1 value for money
2 what make should stick to "X "a trusted make?
3size should i get that one next door has ( maybe i should ask him the price and here he got it from or more important ?
4 Ask "what hi fi members instead ! and yes that other important one
5 "BUDGET"

Think 1 and 4 and 5
Thats all you need to know
So we lose motivation

But what are the reasons why someone wants a tv and advice is good ? is it not

1 value for money
2 what make should stick to "X "a trusted make?
3size should i get that one next door has ( maybe i should ask him the price and here he got it from or more important ?
4 Ask "what hi fi members instead ! and yes that other important one
5 "BUDGET"

Think 1 and 4 and 5
Thats all you need to know
So we lose motivation
The one thing I make a conscious effort of over the years is to not judge others. I have no clue what TV my neighbours have. I enjoy watching films, wanted to buy the biggest TV I could afford and accommodate, went for a 75-inch TV. Yes, brand does matter in terms of having the backup of reliability. I asked on this forum because I knew gel would suggest me a good TV and find me a good deal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts