Buying a new TV.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Hold on what is the manufacturers warranty ? Samsung warranty on new TVs is 5 years The minimum on Samsung is 2 years but OLEDs are 5 years so what is this Richer sounds warranty ? Is the Richer sounds one free??? or pay extra there is another problem every TV has a minimum by law is 1 year . best advice do not relie on a warranty. The TV could drop or get damaged by flood or accident . That is not covered so you do the right thing and insure the TV on your house hold insurance and list it as a separate item list the s/n number and full details of when bought . You buy a TV may cost over £1000 quite easily . That 70 inch is on your wall ,drops on the ground ( i personally would never put any Tv on any wall myself , especially modern houses do not have solid walls. I would not be an expert but i did receive all the commission on a insurance policy i wrote out myself at Norwich union head office on a motorcycle , so unique that they had never insured this bike before and worth a hell of a lot of money (1989). So i have a bit of experience in commissions and writing out insurance contracts too . Each of my top of the range bikes Honda Goldwings was on the same insurance ;policy unique at the time I had 3 of these in the garage . This is why i neg a special contract with them in person
1) Samsung only gives 12 months warranty on TVs.

2) Richer Sounds 6 year guarantee is free.

3) Not relying on a warranty is the worst advice. Electronic items can break down anytime and repairs aren't cheap. Free 6 years warranty gives a massive peace of mind.

4) Damage by floods etc. is covered by personal possessions insurance. It's not a portable item for me to accidentally drop it. Accidents can happen anytime to anything. I've never accidentally damaged a TV in my life.

5) The wall fixing to mount a atV has to be suitable for the wall it's going up in. If properly installed by an experienced home cinema installer, it shouldn't just fall. You always have the option of TV stand. My 75-inch TV is on a TV unit and not hung off the wall.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
1) Samsung only gives 12 months warranty on TVs.

2) Richer Sounds 6 year warranty is free.

3) Not relying on a warranty is the worst advice. Electronic items can break down anytime and repairs aren't cheap. Free 6 years warranty gives a massive peace of mind.

4) Damage by floods etc. is covered by personal possessions insurance. It's not a portable item for me to accidentally drop it. Accidents can happen anytime to anything. I've never accidentally damaged a TV in my life.

5) The wall fixing to mount a atV has to be suitable for the wall it's going up in. If properly installed by an experienced home cinema installer, it shouldn't just fall. You always have the option of TV stand. My 75-inch TV is on a TV unit and not hung off the wall.
i seen that Samsuung on OLEDS is 5 years i checked this today and there is a list that are covered too This ask the question on any warranty check the clauses it is that simple . In regards to TVs put on walls how many so-called expert owners put up there TVs on there own walls oh yes i seen some of those disasters on You tube etc etc. And off course do not put a TV close to any heat (yes i seen some real dummys put it over a fire or radiator. I did notice Richer Sound do not sell any TC<L TV why is this and just 3 Hisense products

i seen that Samsuung on OLEDS is 5 years i checked this today and there is a list that are covered too This ask the question on any warranty check the clauses it is that simple . In regards to TVs put on walls how many so-called expert owners put up there TVs on there own walls oh yes i seen some of those disasters on You tube etc etc. And off course do not put a TV close to any heat (yes i seen some real dummys put it over a fire or radiator. I did notice Richer Sound do not sell any TC<L TV why is this and just 3 Hisense products
I think you're begging to differ with whatever you feel necessary, be careful!

1) Can you share the link of the website where you've seen Samsung offers 5 years warranty on OLEDs please? All my statements are backed up by evidence which I have shared.

2) Incorrectly mounted TVs always make good YouTube videos. Correctly mounted TVs don't get as many views on YouTube.

3) Richer Sounds either don't have an agreement in place with TCL to sell their TVs or they're unable to give 6 years guarantee on TCL TVs.

Reactions: WayneKerr

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
i have it now lists Samsung TVs with 5 year warranty 1st September 2020 to 31st August 2021 lists the models cover 30 models in the UE range well it is on there main UK website (OLEDS) includes call out charges parts and labour too/ UK models another list covers 25th march to 1st October 2021 You look on the Samsung UK site they list all the models . Note OLEDS I stand by this statement .
One of the problems of modern TVs they are not meant to last ,that long . otherwise they would make any money . After 5 years they likely to have sold the TV (note the warranties probably cannot be transfer to a new owner .
The other problem is the company may not stock older parts ,with the newer technology . Especially after 5 years anyway It is not as if you buying a car ,its just a TV that is old . 5 years is very good / I have an amateur radio ( valves) that is 50 years old i can still get parts and its been rebuilt in the last year .
Just as good as new . Todays modern Kenwood /Yaesu/ Icom radios might last 20 years or would if you can get the parts . which is highly unlikely . I collect these radios classic ones have ten here hence why my home insurance protection is high

WayneKerr

RS probably don't stock the cheaper TVs as there's less profit margin in it for them, Currys do stock the cheaper end TVs. One thing I noticed noticed when walking around Currys when my brother was shopping for his new TV was that the lower end models were all being fed by an SD signal, the more expensive models were being fed with a 4K signal feed, obviously the picture quality difference is immediately apparent... psychology.

What one has to bear in mind is that the cheaper TV brands are built to a price-point, okay for some, not for others. If you want a quality TV then go for one of the leading brands. The lower end TVs tend to be built solely for landfill purposes. You pays yer money and you take your choice :)

One of the problems of modern TVs they are not meant to last ,that long . otherwise they would make any money . After 5 years they likely to have sold the TV (note the warranties probably cannot be transfer to a new owner .
The other problem is the company may not stock older parts ,with the newer technology . Especially after 5 years anyway
My Samsung LCD TV bought in 2011 is still going strong.

As mentioned, you get what you pay for. Cheaper TVs are built to a price and more likely to break down. You're more likely to use the warranty now. The consumerism over the years has resulted in TVs getting cheaper. I paid £2300 for my 50-inch Kuro (KRP 500A). Pioneer was still losing money on every TV sold. Now I have a 75-inch Sony TV for half the price.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
You maybe right you get what you pay for but spending over 5 times what i paid for my TCL i would expect 5 times life span , which off course is not going to happen may get 10 years if lucky. Note Samsung on certain models OLED gave a 5 years warranty in 2021 Sony is suspect is similar . WOW the greatest TV ever made the Kuro in either 50 o 60 inch made in 2008 late wow 14 years ago only the mighty pure black 2013 Panasonic was its only competitor some say the Panasonic was better Note the Pioneer was made in the UK (mine was anyway) comparing a 75 inch Soiny against these two mighty TVs maybe not fair but i know what i would want if they still made them and it would not be a Sony or a LED OLED QLED and did i not see that Samsung still has a problem with pure blacks ?

I think it can - you've yet to substantiate your claims by 'experts', despite a request for a suitable link. And I will stress that finding something on the internet doesn't necessarily count - you can find all opinions validated in some dingy corner of the web, no matter how bizarre or deluded.

Fact remains that domestic plasmas aren't thirty years old yet, and OLED as a mature product has only been around for a few years. Any opinion about longevity, however expert the holder might consider themselves to be, is still (to a degree) speculation.

Re the TVs - at least I have owned all and been able to assess progress for myself. I know you don't want to believe it is there, but it emphatically is.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I think it can - you've yet to substantiate your claims by 'experts', despite a request for a suitable link. And I will stress that finding something on the internet doesn't necessarily count - you can find all opinions validated in some dingy corner of the web, no matter how bizarre or deluded.

Fact remains that domestic plasmas aren't thirty years old yet, and OLED as a mature product has only been around for a few years. Any opinion about longevity, however expert the holder might consider themselves to be, is still (to a degree) speculation.

Re the TVs - at least I have owned all and been able to assess progress for myself. I know you don't want to believe it is there, but it emphatically is.
yes this says it all only been around a few years at least have an idea that PLASMAs are still around after 15 years Will LEDs OLED QLEDS be here in 10 years time . Time will tell but i think the answer is no , even the mighty very expensive SONY.. Build quality has to be not, to the standard it was But will those parts still be available in 6 or even 10 years time ? How long will SONY support the products ? They are much better than most manufacturers for this Hisense and TCL questionable They are cheap , what else would expect ? I am trying to imagine what a PLASMA , if still made today in UK or Hungary would look like . 1 THX or surround sound 6 speakers 2 1600 hz technology 3 lighter and using less power( that would be vital)3Full SMART 4 satellite connections x 2 as standard 5 enhanced tech on 1080P 4k and enhanced 8k 6 split screen 7 advanced HDD solid state recording recording 8 Blue tooth and faster wi fi 9 screen sizes 50 to 75 inch more than big enough for most homes tes it is a dream world but i am sure the next technology advance will not be LED or micro LED . Will be complete flat screens and size cut to order (yes they do exist ) But look at organic screens as the next advancement . ( note they do exist USN are using it for under water use now ) And it is not Star Trek either

yes this says it all only been around a few years at least have an idea that PLASMAs are still around after 15 years Will LEDs OLED QLEDS be here in 10 years time . Time will tell but i think the answer is no , even the mighty very expensive SONY.. Build quality has to be not, to the standard it was But will those parts still be available in 6 or even 10 years time ? How long will SONY support the products ? They are much better than most manufacturers for this Hisense and TCL questionable They are cheap , what else would expect ? I am trying to imagine what a PLASMA , if still made today in UK or Hungary would look like . 1 THX or surround sound 6 speakers 2 1600 hz technology 3 lighter and using less power( that would be vital)3Full SMART 4 satellite connections x 2 as standard 5 enhanced tech on 1080P 4k and enhanced 8k 6 split screen 7 advanced HDD solid state recording recording 8 Blue tooth and faster wi fi 9 screen sizes 50 to 75 inch more than big enough for most homes tes it is a dream world but i am sure the next technology advance will not be LED or micro LED . Will be complete flat screens and size cut to order (yes they do exist ) But look at organic screens as the next advancement . ( note they do exist USN are using it for under water use now ) And it is not Star Trek either
Irrelevant. My TV isn't OLED or Plasma, please keep it on-topic.

It's a basic LED Smart TV, which suits our needs for the timebeing.

Please feel free to discuss the pros and cons of a OLED v Plasma by starting a new thread.

Once it's up and running, you'll read my thoughts. If it's anything like my old LG it should tick all the boxes expected from a TV of it's type: clear picture, crisp, natural colours, deep blacks, and very important for us, good fast motion handling.

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Will LEDs OLED QLEDS be here in 10 years time . Time will tell but i think the answer is no , even the mighty very expensive SONY.. Build quality has to be not,
So, just further speculation on your part, then.

The OP has requested that this discussion be taken elsewhere, so please feel free to start another thread - further off-topic posts (which you are not the only one guilty of!) will be deleted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts