Issue with some blu rays

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

When playing underworld awakening on a Sony 380 ,he sound pauses for a second .this happens many times after 50 minutes of watching he film.

When played in a Panasonic bdt110 no sound issues.

The Sony is fully updated .

Any ideas please.

Thank you

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
This is a typical result of layer change, when the laser that is reading the first layer of a disc (DVD or BluRay) comes to the end and has to refocus and read the second layer.

In some players this is less noticable than others, due to memory buffers reading a few seconds ahead or just better and faster mechanics.

There used to be a warning on the cover of some films warning that "A layer change may cause a moment's pause" or something like that - the fact that you mention it appears exactly at the 50 minute mark indicates to me that it indeed a layer change.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I read it that it pauses repeatedly after 50 minutes, not just once, which wouldn't be the layer change. Fingerprints on the disc perhaps?

Does it still happen after 50 minutes if you start watching from the middle of the film?

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

The sound stops after about 50 minutes,I don't think it the layer change , the sound stops for a split second many times ,it more noticeable through my Yamaha av amp.the images for the 6 speakers gos out when the sound stops,but the picture is not effected ,it reminds me of dropouts .

When played on the Panasonic there is no issues at all.

Thre was an update for the Sony today,I have just updated and will try the film again tomorrow.

Thanks for th help so far

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Ahh!, in that case I still think it is caused by the layer change, but as it appears to have continual dropouts after 50 mins, then perhaps the laser is unable to focus correctly on the second layer.

As playback is OK on another player, that would rule out a faulty pressing.

The next step is to find out if the offending disc is indeed a dual layer disc (If your "Awakening" copy is the 3D/2D combo then it is most definately a BD50 pressing), then try to source another title which is also dual layered and see if the problem replicates.

If it does the same on both discs then it can only be the laser assembly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts