Is the resurgence of vinyl LP's a fad?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Yes, the 'rubbish in - rubbish out' message was used a lot before CD came about.
Spend the highest proportion of your budget on the turntable and almost any old amp and speakers would do - according to some.

These days, with digital sources so prominent, the reverse is a more popular choice for many - giving much more priority to speakers and amps.

Is there anyone here willing to argue that quality differences between modern digital sources are remotely comparable in scale with those between different makes/ models of speaker?
Back then, the turntable was centre of the universe. I wonder if the momentum now going with vinyl, it will swing back in that direction?

It has shifted with the advent of digital. It is true what you say, I have been for the most part, upgrading my speakers and amp because it made more sense. If I changed the DAC, I would not hear significantly large difference between the two devices. The better DAC will smooth out the rougher edges or resolve better detail.

The degree of these sonic differences isn't as wide as two TTs from the opposite end of the market spectrum, where one is from the bargain basement al' la the false wood veneer Lenco with the many knobs and the other shiny minimalistic rotating biscuit tin, is an engineering legend and, you vomit a mouthful of latte after the Sales Rep told you the price .

Reactions: Gray

froze

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
The problem with new vinyl recordings is that they are indeed taken from digital masters, so you're not gaining a damn thing, just buy the CD and forget it.

However, due to the growing trend of vinyl modern recording artists are beginning to record 2 masters at the same time, one for digital and one for analog.

By the way, when I write in cursive, I find that I write neater with a fountain pen than any other type of pen, not sure why that is, the only guess I can make is that with a fountain pen, the tip grips the paper better instead of sliding over it like on ice as the other types of pens feel like. My worst penmanship comes from roller writers. I am not so old school that I was raised on fountain pens, I was raised on ballpoint pens. When I tried a fountain pen when I ran my own business it worked better for me than any other pen I had ever used, so I stayed with the fountain pen for many years. I no longer use them because unless you use that type of pen every day the ink can dry up in a fountain pen, plus fountain pens do require maintenance, and the less you use the pen the more maintenance you have to do. I always used the Parker Jotter because they were inexpensive, wrote fantastically, and I could buy the ink and the pen in a lot of local stores, Walmart, and office supply places carried them back then, but probably not true anymore, probably have to go to Amazon now.

The problem with new vinyl recordings is that they are indeed taken from digital masters, so you're not gaining a damn thing, just buy the CD and forget it.

However, due to the growing trend of vinyl modern recording artists are beginning to record 2 masters at the same time, one for digital and one for analog.

By the way, when I write in cursive, I find that I write neater with a fountain pen than any other type of pen, not sure why that is, the only guess I can make is that with a fountain pen, the tip grips the paper better instead of sliding over it like on ice as the other types of pens feel like. My worst penmanship comes from roller writers. I am not so old school that I was raised on fountain pens, I was raised on ballpoint pens. When I tried a fountain pen when I ran my own business it worked better for me than any other pen I had ever used, so I stayed with the fountain pen for many years. I no longer use them because unless you use that type of pen every day the ink can dry up in a fountain pen, plus fountain pens do require maintenance, and the less you use the pen the more maintenance you have to do. I always used the Parker Jotter because they were inexpensive, wrote fantastically, and I could buy the ink and the pen in a lot of local stores, Walmart, and office supply places carried them back then, but probably not true anymore, probably have to go to Amazon now.
The presumption that alll vinyl recording is taken from digital masters is erroneous.

SohoAudiophile

Jun 5, 2024
Visit site
I'd like to get into records, but as you say putting a digital mix onto vinyl makes no sense.

Is there some scheme or marking for records that come from an analogue original recording that has never been digitised? Some watermark of 'analogue-only path' from reording would be useful.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I'd like to get into records, but as you say putting a digital mix onto vinyl makes no sense.

Is there some scheme or marking for records that come from an analogue original recording that has never been digitised? Some watermark of 'analogue-only path' from reording would be useful.
NativeDSD, I download my music from there a lot but they also do vinyl mastered from analogue. I'm not sure how extensive is their analogue catalogue but worth checking it out - see link below below.

1718363402298.png

DCarmi

Is there some scheme or marking for records that come from an analogue original recording that has never been digitised?
There is the SPARS code on some modern LPs. You may see codes like:
AAA - Fully analogue
AAD - Analogue recording and editing and Digital mastering
ADD - Analogue recording, Digital editing and Digital mastering
DDD - Everything Digital

The caveat is that it is not compulsory to note the SPARS code. I've not checked my vinyl to see how prevalent. There are companies like Rhino which release AAA vinyl. Basically hunt the interwebs.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts