Is the Pioneer KRP Plasma still king?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Can't see it. I only own a LX508D which is awesome and beats any TV my friends own, so if the KRP is far superior to mine, then I think it's untouchable even 2-3 years after being made.

Gosh, I wish Pioneer were still making TVs, think how good they would be now

A

Anonymous

I have 2 Pioneer TV's, One is a 4 year old 42" Pioneer Non Kuro 1378x768 (Or something like that but not a 1080 version) It is brilliant I have nothing but praise for it. It provides a stunning picture no matter what you throw at it even SD and 1080 HD.

I also have a 2 year old 60" Pioneer Kuro 600A Display only and connected to a surround AV and B&W MT30 speaker system. It is a phenomenal performer and produces the best picture I have ever experienced to date (Though Panasonic VT20's catching up).

So yes they are still king, but wait a minute!

One surprise recently revealed is, I replaced a bedroom TV (Increased the size) with a bargain 40" Sharp Quattron for £550. LED side lit. It is amazing and seriously challenges the Pioneer 42" mentioned earlier. I am not a fan of LCD technology because I watch a lot of sport and there is absolutely no comparison with Plasma's for fast moving action as the response / refresh rate is just so superior with the plasma. However this Sharp Quattron is amazing and as close to Plasma as I have yet to experience, it makes the Sony's, Samsung's and Philips very fuzzy by comparison (Slightly over exaggerated that statement) and what's more HD on Freeview down the old terrestrial aerials coaxial connection is almost as good as SKY HD.

There you go Pioneer and Plasma still top but hey watch out for Sharp Quattron, the extra yellow incorporated into the RGB all the other manufacturers use is a real improvement on colour and clarity and goes a long way to dilute the endless arguments over deep blacks and greys with other LCD's. Go to Currys/PC World and they have the 40", 46" and 60" on show...go see for your self. But as usual their prices are very much OTT so have a look at PRC Direct or 1st Audio Visual.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Can I ask a question about the KRPs.

Do you have to have the media box to be able to get a picture, or would a sky hd box plug directly in

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Yes you can plug straight into the TV for the picture but there would be no sound, you need and Av receiver / surround sound speakers for that

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
JohnHolmes:
Does any 50" screen beat for pure picture quality?

Ta :)

Yes, the PDP-LX5090 is!
emotion-5.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

taurus8dhw:Yes you can plug straight into the TV for the picture but there would be no sound, you need and Av receiver / surround sound speakers for that

Thanks. I was under the impression that everything had to come through the media box, because there is a brand new KRP500 on ebay without the box for £1500, which seems quite cheap.

Unfortunately I don't have the cash at the mo, but could be good for someone

D

Deleted member 2457

taurus8dhw:

I have 2 Pioneer TV's, One is a 4 year old 42" Pioneer Non Kuro 1378x768 (Or something like that but not a 1080 version) It is brilliant I have nothing but praise for it. It provides a stunning picture no matter what you throw at it even SD and 1080 HD.

I also have a 2 year old 60" Pioneer Kuro 600A Display only and connected to a surround AV and B&W MT30 speaker system. It is a phenomenal performer and produces the best picture I have ever experienced to date (Though Panasonic VT20's catching up).

So yes they are still king, but wait a minute!

One surprise recently revealed is, I replaced a bedroom TV (Increased the size) with a bargain 40" Sharp Quattron for £550. LED side lit. It is amazing and seriously challenges the Pioneer 42" mentioned earlier. I am not a fan of LCD technology because I watch a lot of sport and there is absolutely no comparison with Plasma's for fast moving action as the response / refresh rate is just so superior with the plasma. However this Sharp Quattron is amazing and as close to Plasma as I have yet to experience, it makes the Sony's, Samsung's and Philips very fuzzy by comparison (Slightly over exaggerated that statement) and what's more HD on Freeview down the old terrestrial aerials coaxial connection is almost as good as SKY HD.

There you go Pioneer and Plasma still top but hey watch out for Sharp Quattron, the extra yellow incorporated into the RGB all the other manufacturers use is a real improvement on colour and clarity and goes a long way to dilute the endless arguments over deep blacks and greys with other LCD's. Go to Currys/PC World and they have the 40", 46" and 60" on show...go see for your self. But as usual their prices are very much OTT so have a look at PRC Direct or 1st Audio Visual.

Yep, i was lucky enough to have a demo of the Pioneer Kuro 600A with the Pioneer bdp-lx91 blu ray player and all i can say is "wow" the picture was amazing.
emotion-21.gif

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

taurus8dhw:Yes you can plug straight into the TV for the picture but there would be no sound, you need and Av receiver / surround sound speakers for that

Thanks. I was under the impression that everything had to come through the media box, because there is a brand new KRP500 on ebay without the box for £1500, which seems quite cheap.

Yes, you have to have the media box. That's where all the inputs including HDMI ports are located, along with the TV tuner. Only the display without a box is useless.

All that you'll see on the rear of the KRP 500A plasma screen is a power connection, a small proprietary socket for the TV's colour sensor and a set of speaker connections, along with the display port-style connector, which is designed to connect the TV to the media receiver.

pioneere:is there much differance between this and the 5090?

The main difference betwee nthe KRP 500A & 5090 is obviously the separate media receiver in the KRP 500A. All the reviewers have noted the KRP 500A to be better than the 5090. Even I found the colours to be more natural in the KRP 500A.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bigboss:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Yes, you have to have the media box. That's where all the inputs including HDMI ports are located, along with the TV tuner. Only the display without a box is useless.
All that you'll see on the rear of the KRP 500A plasma screen is a power connection, a small proprietary socket for the TV's colour sensor and a set of speaker connections, along with the display port-style connector, which is designed to connect the TV to the media receiver.

That's what I thought, explains the ebay item not selling

The KRP has no speakers, with or without the media box. You have to buy the speakers separately.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:

The KRP has no speakers, with or without the media box. You have to buy the speakers separately.

I think I was quoted around £200 extra for the speakers with my KRP-500a, I didn't bother in the end.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:

The main difference betwee nthe KRP 500A & 5090 is obviously the separate media receiver in the KRP 500A. All the reviewers have noted the KRP 500A to be better than the 5090. Even I found the colours to be more natural in the KRP 500A.

i wonder if a calibrated 5090 would come close to a 500A?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think they're close anyway, but if both were calibrated, the KRP would edge it from what I've read.

As I said earlier in the thread, just think how good Pioneer TVs would be now if they were still making them

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Sorreltiger:I spotted this Pioneer screen too - there's one media box on ebay somewhere, but it's something like £700!!

So £2200 for a brand new KRP500. I wish I had the money, but anyway, I'm happy as Larry with my LX508D

pioneere:bigboss:

Aha......but even the KRP 500A can be calibrated you know
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger: you are right to be happy with your LX5080, a mate has one and I was staggered by it. May be not the out right definition of the pana VT20 (which I own) but a something very special about the picture - no doubt. Would love to see a review of the 5090 against the VT20 and the sony HX903

A

Anonymous

johnb1966:Sorreltiger: you are right to be happy with your LX5080, a mate has one and I was staggered by it. May be not the out right definition of the pana VT20 (which I own) but a something very special about the picture - no doubt. Would love to see a review of the 5090 against the VT20 and the sony HX903all but one review site that i've found have stated the kuro is still the best from those three (and the best of all tv's), and all but one
emotion-16.gif
emotion-5.gif
from the same sites reckon the vt20 comes in 2nd ahead of the sony...

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:johnb1966:Sorreltiger: you are right to be happy with your LX5080, a mate has one and I was staggered by it. May be not the out right definition of the pana VT20 (which I own) but a something very special about the picture - no doubt. Would love to see a review of the 5090 against the VT20 and the sony HX903all but one review site that i've found have stated the kuro is still the best from those three (and the best of all tv's), and all but one
emotion-16.gif
emotion-5.gif
from the same sites reckon the vt20 comes in 2nd ahead of the sony...

Now, now Max! Let it lie...

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:bigboss:

I think I was quoted around £200 extra for the speakers with my KRP-500a, I didn't bother in the end.

I can't believe you turned down an opportunity to get some new speakers
emotion-3.gif

i've got MA BR1's hooked up to mine for standard viewing.
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
v1c:the_lhc:bigboss:

I can't believe you turned down an opportunity to get some new speakers
emotion-3.gif

What makes you say that? Apart from a 50 quid pair of Roth Oli 2s I haven't bought any speakers in 11 years. These were the speakers that attach to the 500A, not hi-fi speakers, I knew I was never likely to use them, so I didn't bother, it wasn't worth the money, given how much the TV was costing me already.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
pioneere:bigboss:

It would, or at least that is what a skilled ISF calibrator has informed me.
As far I know the panels used in these TVs are the same.

And BigBoss, yes the KRP-500 can of course also be calibrated, but there is not much to gain as the settings out of the box is just to darn good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts