Is the latest iPod touch only available in white???

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Just a bit of clarification required if possible, i've been looking at finally getting an iPod in time for xmas and have decided on a touch in either 8gb or 32gb but can only find it in white on stores other than the Apple store. Is it the case that the october 2011 version of the touch is only available in white?

The Apple store doeasn't state which version of the touch is on sale but i would expect it to be the latest version as they make them but other online retailers are listing the black touch as 'the latest version' but a closer look reveals this to be the september 2010 version with no sign of the 2011 version in black which strikes me as being odd.

I don't mind paying the extra on the Apple store to get a black one but the opportunity to save a few pounds would be welcome so could anyone tell me if it's available in black from anywhere other than the Apple store or if indeed it's only available in white as all the major retailers (amazon, play, tesco, dixons etc) are listing the black version as released september 2010.

Many thanks in advance.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Isn't the white 2011 Touch just a white version of the black 2010 model? If so, the black 2010 Touch could still have the same model number as it's unchanged.

And definitely go for the 32GB if you can. I freqently need to remove things from mine to make space!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I have no idea if that is the case but from what i have read the 2011 touch is slightly smaller in dimensions and lighter but of course you can't rely on everything you read on the web and i have no idea if the spec is any different this year either. I'm going to contact Apple for some clarification as i can't find any answers myself but many thanks for the reply.

A

Anonymous

If I remember correctly the revision to 4G, included the better retina display, it's slightly thinner, the better A5 chip (not dual core) and the hold button was moved. However it was originally black only, then the white was added at a later date. I've just bought a 4G black 32gb version for my son for Christmas.

spinaltap

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, that is incorrect: the current iPod Touch only has the A4 Chip. Only the iPhone4S and iPad2 have the dual-core A5 chip.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi oldboy,

I went through this whole saga at Heathrow Airport Dixons last month. I wanted the iPod Touch 64GB (4th Gen.) in black, but they only had it in white and 2010 stock in the black. The staff were adamant the only difference between the black 2010 model and the 2011 white model was the latter was pre-loaded with the new iOS 5 operating system software.

The iPod Touch 64GB white model packaging case had 2011 printed at the bottom of the inner white card insert, but the iPod Touch 64GB black model packaging case had 2010 printed at the bottom of the inner white card insert.

I doubted this and contacted Apple Customer Care by phone and the guy there advised me there are physical differences like the screen was half an inch wider and longer battery life. I then went back and advised the Heathrow Airport Dixons Manager of this and decided to hold fire on buying it. A week later I chatted to an Apple Account Manager who was visiting the Edinburgh Airport Dixons, who went with only the software has changed angle and refuted with the Apple Customer Care person had said.

Before taking the plunge, this week I went into The Apple Store in regent Street London and appraised them of the conflicting information trail. After 15 minutes of inter-staff discussions the outcome was the only difference is the iPod Touch 64GB 2011 model comes with iOS 5 pre-installed. I then purchased the iPod Touch 64GB (black model) from the Apple Store last Friday when they had the discount offer. It arrived today and the packaging case had 2011 printed at the bottom of the inner white card insert and iOS 5 installed.

I can conclude from this that some retailers will offload their iPod Touch 2010 black model stock first, due to the software being the only difference, so if you want new 2011 stock (I would paying £200+), buy it directly from Apple. However, Best Buy are selling the the iPod Touch 64GB (black or white model) for £299.00, but have a 10% discount code (BBY) at checkout as part of their closing down deal, so you could save a bit of money there if they still have stock.

Cheers,
SonicD

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
SonicD,

Very many thanks for the info it's much appreciated!

My black touch arrived earlier today direct from the Apple store online so i'm wondering just where on the packaging it would have 2011 or 2010 printed on it?? I've looked on the white card inside that the iPod is mounted on but there seems to be no date printed, could you be a little clearer as to where i might find it please thank you.

I did indeed see the best buy sale but felt safer buying from the Apple store just in case i wasn't happy with my purchase plus i bought it on black friday on the Apple store and so still received a good discount plus free engraving for the personal touch, nice!

What i forgot to check was if it came with iOS 5 installed, i did need to update it to the latest version of iOS 5 but i did forget to check if it came pre installed. It would be much simpler if Apple had an easy way of checking what version of the iPod touch you were buying to eliminate all this confusion, considering their reputation you would think this would be easy to check!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts