Bought my new system today - thanks for the advice

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
I posted recently about wanting to replace my 1997 Technics with a network receiver and general sound upgrade. I had some really helpful suggestions from the good folks here, and I went to a store today with the Marantz PM7000N in mind, and Dali speakers recommended here.

The sales guy recommended some Bowers & Wilkins to pair with the Marantz, which my wife and I agreed sounded superb. Slightly more than the £400 Dali - about £420-50 I think.

Then we tried some Focal speakers. Wow! We tried a whole slew of different music to put them through their paces. He got the price wrong, originally saying £499, then apologising that he’d got confused with the centre speaker in the surround system. These were actually £799, but as the only ones available were the very ones we were listening to, he took them down to £599.

So about £1250 for the speakers and Marantz, and an absolutely amazing sound at home. My wife even text me while I was putting the baby down just to say how thrilled she was.

I don’t know how it compares to the high end systems of other members, but it’s surpassed our expectations. Hopefully both are of sufficient quality to stay working great for many years to come…

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
I posted recently about wanting to replace my 1997 Technics with a network receiver and general sound upgrade. I had some really helpful suggestions from the good folks here, and I went to a store today with the Marantz PM7000N in mind, and Dali speakers recommended here.

The sales guy recommended some Bowers & Wilkins to pair with the Marantz, which my wife and I agreed sounded superb. Slightly more than the £400 Dali - about £420-50 I think.

Then we tried some Focal speakers. Wow! We tried a whole slew of different music to put them through their paces. He got the price wrong, originally saying £499, then apologising that he’d got confused with the centre speaker in the surround system. These were actually £799, but as the only ones available were the very ones we were listening to, he took them down to £599.

So about £1250 for the speakers and Marantz, and an absolutely amazing sound at home. My wife even text me while I was putting the baby down just to say how thrilled she was.

I don’t know how it compares to the high end systems of other members, but it’s surpassed our expectations. Hopefully both are of sufficient quality to stay working great for many years to come…
Have fun the Marantz is a great bit of kit i love mine .

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Very nice, and you may well be right - I suspect the speakers aren't giving their best sat as they are.
They’re front ported so I think they don’t need to sit as far forward as some others, but the salesman also mentioned just separating them from the surface of the cabinet too so the vibrations aren’t going straight into it, so I’ll try that. It sounds huge though, drums are phenomenal on it

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
takes time time too set it all up cant let it take over the room .
This was a considerable reason we wanted something small like the Marantz rather than various separates. As it is, the unit fits nicely in our cabinet, with a speaker on top and the other speaker the same height on a bookcase the other side of the room. Perfect distance from each other and where we sit

WayneKerr

Happy for you Rich (y) and happy that you and the Mrs are happy too :)

Don't worry about comparisons with other peoples kit on here, the only thing that really matters is what it sounds like to you. It should hopefully serve you well and give you years of enjoyment.

Would love to keep you as an active member but if you have any upgrade itches then forums such as these are the worst possible places to frequent :)

Congrats. Nice looking system. Always good when you get a system you love.

Enjoy your bundles

Reactions: richwhite08

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Very nice. The speakers do need to be isolated from cupboards, shelves etc. It can make a big difference to the sound. You can get cheap stand mounts for £100, or buy the same used from Gumtree or eBay for £20-30 and paint to match your decor.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Very nice. The speakers do need to be isolated from cupboards, shelves etc. It can make a big difference to the sound. You can get cheap stand mounts for £100, or buy the same used from Gumtree or eBay for £20-30 and paint to match your decor.
Problem we’ve got is a) space and b) a young child who likes to grab and smash things. We’d be worried that he’d pull the stands down

WayneKerr

Problem we’ve got is a) space and b) a young child who likes to grab and smash things. We’d be worried that he’d pull the stands down
It's ideal world thinking, Rich, but compromises have to be made to suit your lifestyle... nothing is written in stone, go with what is safest for you (y)

You could try some blu tac on the bottom of the speakers to stop them from being moved easily.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I remember you saying before. Could you not accommodate wall brackets?
Yep that’s one of the options we’re considering. The realistic options are the wall or similar to how they are now, for the time being anyway. The salesman also suggested just raising them slightly so they’re not vibrating directly into the cabinet, but I don’t know how much difference that would make

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Yep that’s one of the options we’re considering. The realistic options are the wall or similar to how they are now, for the time being anyway. The salesman also suggested just raising them slightly so they’re not vibrating directly into the cabinet, but I don’t know how much difference that would make

Just experiment. Blobs of plasticine or Blu Tak, or cork mats help. Suboptimal sound is preferable to a child injured by a falling speaker.

Yes, wooden cabinets aren't the best, the ma-in-law plonked a computer mouse mat underneath her old Technics speakers. They made minimal difference, but her system was a mini all-in-one. Also having them at different heights won't help.

TRENDING THREADS