Is my Blu-Ray Burner on the Way Out?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Whilst ripping all my DVDs and Blu-Rays over the last few weeks and months, I've seen a gradual, then sudden drop in the speed of my Blu-Ray drive, An LG WH16NS40 unit, supposedly capable of 16 (sixteen) times read speeds. It's currently reading at 1.4 (yes, one point four) times normal playback speed, or about 50 megabits/second. That means it's taking me over an hour and a half to rip a single movie!.

It's an 3.3 GHz i7 hex core machine with 32 gigs of RAM running update-up-to-date Windows 10. I rip to a 500 gigabyte SSD before transferring the finished movies to my RAID10 array of spinning rust, so I'm pretty confident it's not a downstream bottleneck. I use AnyDVD HD version 8.0.50 and MakeMKV version 1.10.2, the latest versions of each.

I just downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the BD reader but that made no difference.

Is this a Windows, AnyDVD / MakeMKV glitch or is my drive on the way out?

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Whilst ripping all my DVDs and Blu-Rays over the last few weeks and months, I've seen a gradual, then sudden drop in the speed of my Blu-Ray drive, An LG WH16NS40 unit, supposedly capable of 16 (sixteen) times read speeds. It's currently reading at 1.4 (yes, one point four) times normal playback speed, or about 50 megabits/second. That means it's taking me over an hour and a half to rip a single movie!.

It's an 3.3 GHz i7 hex core machine with 32 gigs of RAM running update-up-to-date Windows 10. I rip to a 500 gigabyte SSD before transferring the finished movies to my RAID10 array of spinning rust, so I'm pretty confident it's not a downstream bottleneck. I use AnyDVD HD version 8.0.50 and MakeMKV version 1.10.2, the latest versions of each.

I just downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the BD reader but that made no difference.

Is this a Windows, AnyDVD / MakeMKV glitch or is my drive on the way out?

Thanks.

Costs about 50 quid to replace. (Or send it back under warranty.)

It's not the discs or the times/speeds would vary.

Is your ripping software engaging outside services (for artwork, notes etc.), via the internet, when ripping? Maybe that's slowing it down. Disconnect from your network next time you rip something and see what happens.

abacus

Have you tried re-starting your computer? (NOTE: With Win 10, only the programs are shut down, the rest goes into hibernation if you just use the shutdown feature) by making sure you use the re-start option.

Hope this helps

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:

Have you tried re-starting your computer? (NOTE: With Win 10, only the programs are shut down, the rest goes into hibernation if you just use the shutdown feature) by making sure you use the re-start option.

Hope this helps

Bill

You mean a full power off, pull out the mains plug, shut down? Haven't tried that...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It does sound to me like you've just simply worn it out. I've no idea how durable BD lasers are compared to CD and DVD but my £15 USB DVD drive was still chugging along merrily after ripping over 630 CDs. Maybe they're just not as durable.

abacus

Shutting down and pulling the plug is not a re-start in Windows 10, it just shuts down the programs and hibernates the system.

Click the Start (Microsoft) button followed by the power button, then choose re-start.

If this fails, then it is probably the drive or the discs that are the problem.

Hope this helps

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Shutting down and pulling the plug is not a re-start in Windows 10, it just shuts down the programs and hibernates the system.

Click the Start (Microsoft) button followed by the power button, then choose re-start.

If this fails, then it is probably the drive or the discs that are the problem.

Hope this helps

Bill

Figured it out.

Scan the disk with AnyDVD HD and then use MakeMKV to rip the disk - one point five times speed

Run MakeMKV on its own - 5 point something speed.

Getting AnyDVD HD out of memory requires a reboot as you suggested.

Conclusion: only use AnyDVD HD if MakeMKV can't crack the encryption itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts