Off to John Lewis tonight to test out a blu-ray and a PS3 game on the TH-37PX80

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I called their Customer Service department and explained that I am intending to purchase a plasma tv from them but first wanted to test out a blu-ray movie and a PS3 game or two. They came back and said yes - but to try and make it on a week day as its less busy. So i'm off tonight to test both out. I've already seen a blu-ray in action which looked superb but it was a movie that they were playing and I want to see a couple of my own. It's even more essential that games look half decent as I play a fair bit of pro-evo with my lad and want to check out the plasma's performance with all those fast moving figures on screen. If it passes the test i'll be purchasing it at my price match price of £669.00 with a 5 yr warranty - bargain!

If anyone wants me to check anything else out for them while i'm there let me know...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Buzzer"]

If it passes the test i'll be purchasing it at my price match price of £669.00 with a 5 yr warranty - bargain![/quote]

You can get a JL pricematch with Sound & Vision, Bolton for £628 delivered.

A

Anonymous

It might be worthwhile taking along some standard DVDs from your collection and seeing how the screen performs without a HD source, as if you're like me, most of your viewing will be in Standard Definition.

PS. Note of caution, make sure they show you the SD pictures through a standard DVD player and not through an upscaler like the PS3 (unless of course you plan on watching all future discs this way) to give you a true test.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Whatever you do, don't do what I did after blu ray testing the TH-37PX80. I thought I'd just see what the same disc looked like in the TH42PZ85B. Cue sleepless nights agonising about whether I could afford it and make it fit the room ( and since browsing this forum, which machine the SD picture would look better on)

Are you sure about the £669 price match with 5 year warranty. I'd always assumed that JL's price were higher purely because they allowed for the "free" warranty in the price. Most onine stores are doing the TV for around £650 - 700, but with only the standard 1 year. If they really are doing this deal please let me know as they will be the place to go.

A

Anonymous

Yes, £669.00 with Warranty is confirmed - I have it in writing. Just need to call up their customer service dept and either they will fill out an undersale application or put you through to the undersale dept to do it. Can take up to 10 days. The proice match was with Empire Direct store in Romford but all their storeshave it at that price. Good deal

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Buzzer"]

Yes, £669.00 with Warranty is confirmed - I have it in writing. Just need to call up their customer service dept and either they will fill out an undersale application or put you through to the undersale dept to do it. Can take up to 10 days. The proice match was with Empire Direct store in Romford but all their storeshave it at that price. Good deal

[/quote]

Thanks for that. It was Empire Direct that I was thinking of using, mainly because they are bundleing a home cinema system with it to create a pretty good deal. However it may now require yet another rethink.

A

Anonymous

John Lewis are offering a panasonic surround system for £49 (usual price £149) if bought with either the 37LZD70 or 37PX80 though only while stocks last. Worth bearing in mind though that surround system has no optical out which is pretty naff but will obviously still boost the sound of the TV in general.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Looks like a trip to JL in Reading today. Judging by a couple of other posts today they are going to be sick of the words Empire Direct by the end of the week. Interestingly Reading has one of the few remaining Dixons stores. Dixons on line has it for about £640, it'll probably be worth popping into the store and seing if I can get a price match to that.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tvmog"]
Looks like a trip to JL in Reading today. Judging by a couple of other posts today they are going to be sick of the words Empire Direct by the end of the week. Interestingly Reading has one of the few remaining Dixons stores. Dixons on line has it for about £640, it'll probably be worth popping into the store and seing if I can get a price match to that.

[/quote]

JL don`t PM online stores. I think that Dixons is online only now and doesn`t have any high street shops.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="rewerb"][quote user="Buzzer"]

If it passes the test i'll be purchasing it at my price match price of £669.00 with a 5 yr warranty - bargain![/quote]

You can get a JL pricematch with Sound & Vision, Bolton for £628 delivered.

[/quote]

I had a PM against S & V but JL told me that S & V quoted a £30 delivery charge which JL then added to my quote.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bf1"]
I had a PM against S & V but JL told me that S & V quoted a £30 delivery charge which JL then added to my quote.
[/quote]

S&V do not charge for delivery, it's mentioned on their web site, on their home page.

"All prices include VAT at 17.5% and delivery to mainland UK."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts