PS3 As A Blu Ray Player

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
How good (or not) is the PS3 for playing Blu Ray versus a comparable priced dedicated Blu Ray player?

I need a new player and am wondering wether to go for the PS3 or a dedicated player, I don't watch massive amounts of films and am only an occassional game player

Any advice much appreciated

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
belker said:
How good (or not) is the PS3 for playing Blu Ray versus a comparable priced dedicated Blu Ray player?

I need a new player and am wondering wether to go for the PS3 or a dedicated player, I don't watch massive amounts of films and am only an occassional game player

Any advice much appreciated

I have 2.

The "only" possible issue is fan noise, but so long as you don't close it in a cupboard it should be fine.

As far as blue rays goes it's (IMO) as good as any assuming you're connecting via HDMI. As for DVDs it has what I would call "pretty good" upscaling capability (which has also improved over time). ie it's better than the average budget player, but not on apar with top-end players.

Of course it is Wi-fi compatible and updates arrive fairly frequently. I have never had a disk that didn't work (which I did on my old Panasonic).

It's quick (unlike my old Panasonic).

You have access to iPlayer etc (in the UK), Lovefilm etc (afaik, I can't get it here in Sweden), Music unlimited (Sonys Spotify) and lots of other things. Video zone is quite cool (music videos, free).

If a small amount of fan noise is not an issue, then for me it's the best, and of course you can play games on it (as well as listen to music, use the internet etc)

T

the record spot

Excellent all rounder and picture quality is fine - I stream most films off Netflix via the Apple these days, or off Sony's Video Unlimited site alternatively. I've been using the PS3 as a source for its all rounder capbilities. The Panasonic BDT210 is pretty much unused, good though it is. Chances are it'll be getting moved on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts