Whats the best connection for my Blu Ray and Soundbar to HDTV? HDMI or Optical?

andy22

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So moving home and decided to splash out on new home cinema system. I've gone all Samsung:

UE48J6300 smart curved TV, BD-J5500 Smart 3D curved Blu Ray player and the HW-J6000 bluetooth curved soundbar with wireless subwoofer.

Now I've looked briefly into which connection to go for between HDMI and Optical and kind of get the feeling HDMI is the better option. Could anyone give me some advice if this is true or not? And why?

Also is it just a case of plugging my HDMI Cable from my Blu Ray player to my Soundbar and then another HMDI Cable from my soundbar to my tv?

Basically I want to get the maximum out of my system and don't have much experience with home cinema systems. Can't wait to get it all set up and watching my favourite films so any help would be very much appreciated!

andy22

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Nice one! And is it just a simple process of connecting the HDMI cable from Blu Ray player to Soundbar and then another HDMI from Soundbar to TV?

Also what sort of HDMI cable should I go for? I've seen so many different types/costs that I'd like to know which one I can get the most of but at the same time not get ripped off. Saw on currys there are some black/silver/gold series cables all with different speeds. Any advice?

If your soundbar is capable of passing video, then that's the way. Otherwise blu ray player to TV and TV to soundbar via HDMI ARC.

This HDMI cable is brilliant:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Black-Line-HIGH-SPEED-Ethernet-15-2Gbps/dp/B0019RKS32

More expensive cables will not give you better quality.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Simply connect them yes. £10 will buy a decent quality cable, much more will be a rip-off. More money may give a more robust cable but unless you give it a daily waggle then don't waste your money. "That Cable" do some well regarded cables for little money and speed? Faster cables will simply empty your wallet more quickly.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Simply connect them yes. £10 will buy a decent quality cable, much more will be a rip-off. More money may give a more robust cable but unless you give it a daily waggle then don't waste your money. "That Cable" do some well regarded cables for little money and speed? Faster cables will simply empty your wallet more quickly.

HDMI cables are definitely the way to go, but don't skimp on them. Despite what some people might say around here, cheap HDMI cables aren't always good, if even capable, of passing 4K signals, audio return channel (ARC) or internet channels.

Make sure you buy HDMI 2.0 cable(s) suitable for 4K content (most of the cheap ones aren't, despite what some people here think). Such cables will almost certainly have audio return channel (ARC) and internet wires within them.

Starting prices are under a tenner on amazon.co.uk. For long runs you may want to think about going to slightly more expensve cables. I probably went over the top using Audioquest Chocolate at about 35 quid / 50 US Dollars for a 1 metre run, double that for 2 metre runs, but then that's my choice and I'm happy with it.

The likes of Currys sell their TVs pretty much at cost, but make a HUGE mark-up on cables (and extended warranties, of course).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts