Is 4K really better than HD TV or Blu-ray video?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Leeps said:
Might aswell throw all my cards on the table in one go: I don't like curved TV's either. I suppose they're ok if you don't have ANY friends or even the mildest passing acquaintance who may just pop in and watch TV with you and find their viewing angle less than impressive.

TV's should be 2D, flat and just a very good picture quality. But that's just my preference.

Perhaps my anti-curved stance is somehow linked to my former 70kg behemoth CRT TV that was curved the other way? Somehow curved TV's seem to be taking a step backwards.

I don't agree with you about 3D, but I'm entirely with you about liking flat TV screens, not curved!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The first 2 or maybe 3 chapters in 3D is incredible considering the film was not shot in 3D.

Its a little cardboard but there is a bit where they are walking along the deck of the intial ship they are on in the modern day (not titanic) and the helicopter comes up the beyond them next to the ship. Its so realistic and the sense of depth...

Makes you do dodo's in your drawers its so incredible - well it is here. Titanic is a 3D convertor, just like Pacific Rim on the 65VT

D

Deleted member 116933

Benedict_Arnold said:
MajorFubar said:
millennia_one said:
There's a very good reason why 24fps was choosen in the goldern age
There is. But do you know what it is, accepting that the internet 'spoils' such trivia questions these days because people can easily Google the question then pretend they already knew the answer.

Didn't google it, but a long time ago I was told that it was chosen because the UK mains frequency is 50 Hertz, i.e. 50 cycles a second, so the old CRT televisions were built to scan once every two cycles, 2 x 24 = 48 and reset for the next scan on 49 and 50. It also happened to be about the minimum frequency at which the human eyeball stopped noticing any "steps" in the motion.

Well prepared to be told all of the above is complete ball-cocks, however. If my paternall grandfather had lived longer (he was a BBC chief engineer between 1936 and 1968) I'd have been able to tell you everything you needed to know about televisions, but he died when I was just eleven.

In technical terms your on the ball. But in practical terms Its easy to see for yourself to! to see why the frame rate would of always been chosen regardles of electrical wave length. Do a flick book with with a boncing ball. (if you have time or are bored)

Do 1 sec with 12 frames (so 12 drawing)

Do 1 sec with 24 frames (24 drawings and so on)

Going all the way up to 60 and then you will see there is no point (in my opinion) with 60 FPS because after 30FPS you just won't see any differeance. Your just adding detail in that you just won't see in time. BUT!!!!! it makes it smoother. And the effect is quite jarring it not unlike floating/free falling. For your eyes that is!

D

Deleted member 116933

Son_of_SJ said:
Leeps said:
Might aswell throw all my cards on the table in one go: I don't like curved TV's either. I suppose they're ok if you don't have ANY friends or even the mildest passing acquaintance who may just pop in and watch TV with you and find their viewing angle less than impressive.

TV's should be 2D, flat and just a very good picture quality. But that's just my preference.

Perhaps my anti-curved stance is somehow linked to my former 70kg behemoth CRT TV that was curved the other way? Somehow curved TV's seem to be taking a step backwards.

I don't agree with you about 3D, but I'm entirely with you about liking flat TV screens, not curved!

Don't Agree at all. With the Curved tvs that is. My viewing angles are awsome with amazing picture quality! I don't get any reflections from windows because of the curve either. "But work for me" as they say

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
curved screens might work for films, but for everyday viewing I couldn't have one. Saw a demo a while ago with a football demo and someone taking a penalty. The 18 yard area was no longer rectangle, all the lines were curved, it was so awful it's put me right off, but I appreciate for others its great. Life would be dull if we all accepted and liked the same things!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts