In my setup how can I tell if the TV or 4K Blu-ray player is up scaling to 4k hdr?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

In John Lewis yesterday the Panasonic brand manager gave me a extensive demo of the Panasonic 65-ez952 OLED TV and it was with the Panasonic ub9000 4k Blu-ray player. It was playing Avator and upscaling into 4k hdr picture. On my Oppo I have now selected 2160 uhd resolution and when I click on info button on the LG 65e6v OLED tv remote I now get 2160 too. Does this mean I am now doing it the same as the Panasonic’s?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
In John Lewis yesterday the Panasonic brand manager gave me a extensive demo of the Panasonic 65-ez952 OLED TV and it was with the Panasonic ub9000 4k Blu-ray player. It was playing Avator and upscaling into 4k hdr picture. On my Oppo I have now selected 2160 uhd resolution and when I click on info button on the LG 65e6v OLED tv remote I now get 2160 too. Does this mean I am now doing it the same as the Panasonic’s?
it’s a good point gel

because the Tv can upscale and so can the OPPO 203 now with my settings on the 203 I’ve left the picture settings to Auto but what your basically doing is telling the 203 to play at 2160 so what happens when playing 4k or a format that can’t do 2160 does the 203 automatically adjust its self ?

In regards of which is doing the upscaling I think the 203 but unsure of this but when you press the info button is does say what your running the picture at but with the TV it will not show you .

years ago well before 4k TVs & Oled TVs I used to look at my TV as just being a monitor to transfer information from a DVD player to the screen and the same applies to satellite TV too but now we have smart TVs which are more complicated then the old TVs we used to have 15years ago so I can’t really answer which does what now .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
The first equipment that handles the picture does the upscaling, unless you specifically ask it not to (selecting "auto" or "passthrough"). In your case, you're asking the Oppo to upscale.
so which is better the Oppo or the Tv at upscaling ?

why not try both and see?
I’ve got thinking now my TV is setup for upscaling and so is my Oppo that’s what worries me

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Vincent Teoh who calibrated my TV always recommended your Tv does the processing and set your BD to have no processing and AVR to pass through. The Tv should do the work automatically.

Blacksabbath25 said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
The first equipment that handles the picture does the upscaling, unless you specifically ask it not to (selecting "auto" or "passthrough"). In your case, you're asking the Oppo to upscale.
so which is better the Oppo or the Tv at upscaling ?

why not try both and see? 
I’ve got thinking now my TV is setup for upscaling and so is my Oppo that’s what worries me 
There's nothing to worry. An upscaled picture cannot be upscaled again. Your Oppo is doing the job.

Samd

Series1boy said:
Vincent Teoh who calibrated my TV always recommended your Tv does the processing and set your BD to have no processing and AVR to pass through. The Tv should do the work automatically.

This from Oppo 203 manual:

The UDP-203 supports a special Source Direct mode through its HDMI outputs. This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs. In Source Direct mode, the player works as a “transport”. It decodes video from the discs and then sends the raw video signal in its native resolution and format, without extra processing, to the external video processor or TV.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So what does that effectively do then ?

let the Av do the sound processing and the Tv do the picture processing

Or the Oppo do the picture and sound processing though the Av though to the Tv

And by setting the Oppo to direct mode does this give the best possible picture and sound quality ? For all formats

and is it normal not to notice not much of a difference between 4k films and blu-rays in picture quality a specially modern blu-rays like transformers last night were the picture is outstanding away .

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I thought the OPPO has a specific SOC to handle the payback of 4k discs which was why i asked on another thread whether the 203 HDMI input would pass HDR as the OPPO would have better processing. If that only applies to 4K discs and OPPO recommend that the TV (as long as it's decent) takes the upscaling duties then it lessens the attractiveness for me as i have most of my library on a NAS.

Sky Q upscales at source, i'm assuming anyone using KODI/SPMC or equivilent might pass through although the GUI can be set to 2160p. I certainly has to disable upscaling on my Denon as it ruined the PQ until i sorted that out.

BS, i reckon you should be able to notice the difference between upscaled and native 4k fairly easily. HDR is where the real PQ differences stand out but even if you have upscaled resolution and faux HDR applied you would probably still tell easily between the new discs and upscaled content. Worth checking everything in case some small setting is holding back the full glory and hence less of a perceivable difference.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am still confused too, why don’t the TV just says automatically what it does then? It would make things a lot more simpler. The Panasonic’s were coming up in clear writing at the top of the screen what it was doing, on the LG you haven’t got a clue half of the time. Doesn’t even do 4K hdr YouTube!

Samd

Link below gets there although it is written as though we're all 10 year olds! As said by others, try both ways cos your TV might not be the better option.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-your-4k-tv-is-probably-the-only-upconverter-you-need/

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I am still confused too, why don’t the TV just says automatically what it does then? It would make things a lot more simpler. The Panasonic’s were coming up in clear writing at the top of the screen what it was doing, on the LG you haven’t got a clue half of the time. Doesn’t even do 4K hdr YouTube!

I've got everything passing through the denon, the ipad app it quite useful as it shows the input audio and video, FPS and the output. for example the signal might be stereo but output at 5.1.

the Shield TV has Amazon and Netflixx plus HR set to passthough to external amp for all audio and video/HDR set to passthrough on the amp. I would expect if you are using the TV apps for netflixx rather than a fire/roku/etc then you will be getting native 4K straight out of the box unless you have some settings incorrect in the flow.

Anything set to video passthrough such as a DVD played from NAS should pass as 720p native and then upscaling done by the TV.

buzz_lightclick

I recall reading on here someone who had Pioneer's BDP LX88 blu ray player, which upscales 1080p blu rays to 4K, and he felt letting the Pioneer do the upscaling resulted in a much better picture than having his TV upscale.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:

Are you thinking of buying the Panasonic OLED TV then Gel?

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:

Nope, although I did like it. TVs just frustrate me now, every year they bring improvements which you think why couldn’t they have done that on mine, really my should tell me everything it does, not finding out everything it doesn’t do. Even on Kick Ass 4k HDR and Dolby Vision and there’s lots of unwanted artificial processing.

D

Deleted member 2457

Samd said:
Link below gets there although it is written as though we're all 10 year olds! As said by others, try both ways cos your TV might not be the better option.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-your-4k-tv-is-probably-the-only-upconverter-you-need/
Cheers.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:

Nope, although I did like it. TVs just frustrate me now, every year they bring improvements which you think why couldn’t they have done that on mine, really my should tell me everything it does, not finding out everything it doesn’t do. Even on Kick Ass 4k HDR and Dolby Vision and there’s lots of unwanted artificial processing.

Sounds like your settings are not correct somewhere in the chain if the 4K HDR content is over processed and artifacting. Get it set up the best you can, then forget about it and just enjoy the content. At the moment it seems you are watching the TV rather than the film but that's understandable if something is wrong and it jarrs when you are watching.

D

Deleted member 2457

I was showing my TV to my uncle the other day and even he pointed it out.

Feral said:
I thought the OPPO has a specific SOC to handle the payback of 4k discs which was why i asked on another thread whether the 203 HDMI input would pass HDR as the OPPO would have better processing.  If that only applies to 4K discs and OPPO recommend that the TV (as long as it's decent) takes the upscaling duties then it lessens the attractiveness for me as i have most of my library on a NAS.

Sky Q upscales at source, i'm assuming anyone using KODI/SPMC or equivilent might pass through although the GUI can be set to 2160p.  I certainly has to disable upscaling on my Denon as it ruined the PQ until i sorted that out.

BS, i reckon you should be able to notice the difference between upscaled and native 4k fairly easily.  HDR is where the real PQ differences stand out but even if you have upscaled resolution and faux HDR applied you would probably still tell easily between the new discs and upscaled content.  Worth checking everything in case some small setting is holding back the full glory and hence less of a perceivable difference.
Oppo does not recommend that the TV does upscaling duties. It merely stated what source direct mode does.

You're getting confused here. 4K discs need no upscaling, and the film is already coded in 4K. It's only 1080p blu rays that are upscaled.

Samd said:
Series1boy said:

This from Oppo 203 manual:

The UDP-203 supports a special Source Direct mode through its HDMI outputs. This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs. In Source Direct mode, the player works as a “transport”. It decodes video from the discs and then sends the raw video signal in its native resolution and format, without extra processing, to the external video processor or TV.

This merely says what source direct mode does. It does not mean Oppo recommends your TV to do the upscaling. People seem to be getting confused by this.

gel said:
I am still confused too, why don’t the TV just says automatically what it does then?  It would make things a lot more simpler.  The Panasonic’s were coming up in clear writing at the top of the screen what it was doing, on the LG you haven’t got a clue half of the time.  Doesn’t even do 4K hdr YouTube!  
What are you confused about? All TVs upscale picture, have always done. Most TV buyers don't care who's doing the upscaling.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
What are you confused about? All TVs upscale picture, have always done. Most TV buyers don't care who's doing the upscaling.
It confuses me that the TV just doesn’t come up with the resolution, my Oppo was set to something else and it was just doing Blu-rays to 1080p according to the info button on the TV remote it was doing 1080p and then I selected it on the Oppo and it was then saying 2160 resolution. I do get how you know what the the TV is doing or not? Without telling you. I just really dug how the Panasonic was telling you everything and you could see a difference in picture quality on Avator.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts