In my setup how can I tell if the TV or 4K Blu-ray player is up scaling to 4k hdr?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

It’s like how can you tell on a iPhone X or Samsung Galaxy S8 if YouTube is doing 4k or HDR? It seem the iPhone X does it on ITunes and Netflix but that’s it for 4K HDR at the moment. And the Samsung Galaxy S8 doesn’t even do that!

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
You're getting confused here. 4K discs need no upscaling, and the film is already coded in 4K. It's only 1080p blu rays that are upscaled.

I get the 4k content from a disc is just a passthrough to the display but the quote from the manual on source direct is misleading (and to your point even out of context without the rest of the manual)as "This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs." is pretty confusing at face value. My understanding was that the 4k processing on the SOC is optimised and my specific use case would be to pass the NAS srouce media player content using the the 203 as an external player to get better PQ. If that is not the case then my current set up which is passthough via the amp to the TV is optimal and less of a selling point at least to me.

D

Deleted member 2457

This years Panasonic Oled TVs have missed out on Bluetooth but just got my niece a £200 Toshiba 32-inch TV and it’s got Bluetooth.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
perhaps the question should be does the 4k optimised SOC in the oppo offer better upscaling than the TV or is it simply designed for h.265 processing a native feed?

D

Deleted member 2457

Feral said:
perhaps the question should be does the 4k optimised SOC in the oppo offer better upscaling than the TV or is it simply designed for h.265 processing a native feed?
Hi Feral does your new LG Oled tell you if if does 4K HDR on YouTube? What about resolutions issues on the new one too? Does it tell you stuff? Thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for sounding really thick here but I am still confused which settings to use on the Oppo do I use the direct option or auto ? As when I play a 4k films I get the correct resolution going by the Oppo info button using auto

blu-rays 1080p - 2160 going by the Oppo info button and using auto setting .

Feral said:
bigboss said:
You're getting confused here. 4K discs need no upscaling, and the film is already coded in 4K. It's only 1080p blu rays that are upscaled.

I get the 4k content from a disc is just a passthrough to the display but the quote from the manual on source direct is misleading (and to your point even out of context without the rest of the manual)as "This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs." is pretty confusing at face value.  My understanding was that the 4k processing on the SOC is optimised and my specific use case would be to pass the NAS srouce media player content using the the 203 as an external player to get better PQ.  If that is not the case then my current set up which is passthough via the amp to the TV is optimal and less of a selling point at least to me.

That's the usual recommendation for all audiophiles and videophiles, to ensure minimum processing possible. It doesn't mean Oppo is inferior. If you force Oppo to output at a different resolution and the TV wants to correct the resolution to its display, that's 2 different processings happening to the picture. This isn't good. That's why it's best for only one equipment to do all the processing. This is a standard Oppo advice ever since we had HD TVs (1080p) and HD ready TVs (720p).

Samd

bigboss said:
Samd said:
Series1boy said:
Vincent Teoh who calibrated my TV always recommended your Tv does the processing and set your BD to have no processing and AVR to pass through. The Tv should do the work automatically.

This from Oppo 203 manual:

The UDP-203 supports a special Source Direct mode through its HDMI outputs. This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs. In Source Direct mode, the player works as a “transport”. It decodes video from the discs and then sends the raw video signal in its native resolution and format, without extra processing, to the external video processor or TV.
This merely says what source direct mode does. It does not mean Oppo recommends your TV to do the upscaling. People seem to be getting confused by this.

Oh yes it does!!

Samd said:
bigboss said:
Samd said:
Series1boy said:
Vincent Teoh who calibrated my TV always recommended your Tv does the processing and set your BD to have no processing and AVR to pass through. The Tv should do the work automatically.

The UDP-203 supports a special Source Direct mode through its HDMI outputs. This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs. In Source Direct mode, the player works as a “transport”. It decodes video from the discs and then sends the raw video signal in its native resolution and format, without extra processing, to the external video processor or TV.

This merely says what source direct mode does. It does not mean Oppo recommends your TV to do the upscaling. People seem to be getting confused by this.

Oh yes it does!!
Read my response just above your post.

D

Deleted member 2457

Okay, I have just switched my Oppo on and have these settings:

output resolution - source direct

Custom resolution - uhd auto

Wrongly or rightly?

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:

Wrongly or rightly?
Just put Adele live at the Albert Hall Blu-ray on and it’s showing 1080i on the TV remote, so output resolution on auto and it’s now on 2160 on the TV remote.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
gel said:

Wrongly or rightly?
Just put Adele live at the Albert Hall Blu-ray on and it’s showing 1080i on the TV remote, so output resolution on auto and it’s now on 2160 on the TV remote.
i have left my oppo on auto setting for resolution the same for the rest of the picture settings because how I understand direct mode is that the TV does the upscaling in direct mode instead of the OPPO .

but how I understand things is both the TV and the Oppo do a great job of selecting which is the best resolution depending on what format you use as 4k discs have already been In coded in 4k but standard blu-rays need the upscaling and processing so what ever way you choose auto or direct mode both will do the same job it just means with direct mode the tv does the processing and auto the Oppo does the processing but both ways the TV has to work out weather it can do the resolution your asking from the Oppo .

but with the Oppo you can force it to do the highest resolution and you can make do 12 bit colour depth you can make it do anything but all depends how good your TV is and whether it can handle it with out any issues as not all films are the same quality so one setting might be good for one film but not for the other so best leave the picture settings on auto and let Oppo desired which are the best settings to use with what ever kind of film you put in .

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Samd said:
Series1boy said:

well I know I’m not confused ;)

ok, so when I watch sky 1080i, I press info on my panny remote and it confirms 1080i/50 which can be confusing. However, I know for for a fact my tv is upscalling to 1080p because it can only display at this resolution, therefore it is upscaling my source. However, I could set my amp to upscale at 1080p but you have processing involved now and is what isn’t advised.

all Tv calibrators recommend to switch all processing off at source I.e. BD player and AVR.

saying all this, it’s down to personal choice but if you have your TV calibrated, then you are wasting your money on this calibration if you start messing with the source(s) picture processing, leave it off if you want the picture to display as the director intended.

on other matters, why does this forum not auto capital on a new sentence....!?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gel I found this on the unofficial Oppo site
[*]
LG E6 OLED

• Bob Pariseau

HDR: Auto, Output Resolution: Custom, Custom Resolution: UHD Auto, Color Space: 4:2:2, Color Depth: Auto, 3D Output: Auto, DVD 24p Conversion: On, in a dual HDMI configuration.

That gets you 4K/24 4:2:2 12b or 4K/60 4:2:2 12b according to whether the content you are playing is /24 or /60. The DVD 24p Conversion will of course have to be turned off if you see the typical severe stutter in pans indicating this particular disc is not suitable for conversion.
[/list]

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Also I’ve read it’s important to buy certificated hdmi leads that can handle high bandwidths which makes sense if you want to push quality resolution that’s stable .

i have the audioquest peal hdmi leads right though my setup but now and again I do get a handshake issue which can be down to the hdmi leads but unsure how to sort that issue out as I would of thought they are good quality so unsure why I get a handshake issue .

Blacksabbath25 said:
Also I’ve read it’s important to buy certificated hdmi leads that can handle high bandwidths which makes sense if you want to push quality resolution that’s stable  .

i have the audioquest peal hdmi leads right though my setup but now and again I do get a handshake issue which can be down to the hdmi leads but unsure how to sort that issue out as I would of thought they are good quality so unsure why I get a handshake issue .
What handshake issue?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Also I’ve read it’s important to buy certificated hdmi leads that can handle high bandwidths which makes sense if you want to push quality resolution that’s stable .

What handshake issue?
now and again I get what they call a handshake issue where my Sony TV will display the input bar when watching a film it’s meant to be were one of the hdmi cables have interrupted the signal and not communicate properly in the chain of the pass though .

i get no loss of picture just the input info bar comes up on the screen so somewhere in my chain of hdmi ‘s I think it’s the TV doing it but unsure without taking a hdmi out one at a time to test were it’s not communicating properly .

but they say that the hdmi cables need a couple of seconds to talk to the chain and I am using ARC so it might be this making the issue as it starts up TV , Av amplifier , Oppo one by one when pressing the Oppo power button .

But I have read that hdmi cable quality can be an issue with handshake issue and I’ve read that from AVS forums

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers Blacksab! I will have a look at those settings.

D

Deleted member 2457

Blacksabbath25 said:
Gel I found this on the unofficial Oppo site

• LG E6 OLED

• Bob Pariseau

HDR: Auto, Output Resolution: Custom, Custom Resolution: UHD Auto, Color Space: 4:2:2, Color Depth: Auto, 3D Output: Auto, DVD 24p Conversion: On, in a dual HDMI configuration.

That gets you 4K/24 4:2:2 12b or 4K/60 4:2:2 12b according to whether the content you are playing is /24 or /60. The DVD 24p Conversion will of course have to be turned off if you see the typical severe stutter in pans indicating this particular disc is not suitable for conversion.
Great.
thumbs_up.png

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

What handshake issue?
now and again I get what they call a handshake issue where my Sony TV will display the input bar when watching a film it’s meant to be were one of the hdmi cables have interrupted the signal and not communicate properly in the chain of the pass though .

i get no loss of picture just the input info bar comes up on the screen so somewhere in my chain of hdmi ‘s I think it’s the TV doing it but unsure without taking a hdmi out one at a time to test were it’s not communicating properly .

but they say that the hdmi cables need a couple of seconds to talk to the chain and I am using ARC so it might be this making the issue as it starts up TV , Av amplifier , Oppo one by one when pressing the Oppo power button .

But I have read that hdmi cable quality can be an issue with handshake issue and I’ve read that from AVS forums

It's HDMI-CEC (HDMI Cotrol and other titles!) not ARC which is controlling your other equipment.

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

What handshake issue?

It's HDMI-CEC (HDMI Cotrol and other titles!) not ARC which is controlling your other equipment.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Samd said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

What handshake issue?

there a ARC setting in my Yamaha 1070 for ARC and then with the Sony TV .

so if I switch on the Oppo when everything else is off I then get the TV coming on then the Yamaha 1070 but if I want to switch the lot off I use the TV remote which turns everything off in one go. . Unless you want to call hdmi control

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
Samd said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

What handshake issue?

there a ARC setting in my Yamaha 1070 for ARC and then with the Sony TV .

so if I switch on the Oppo when everything else is off I then get the TV coming on then the Yamaha 1070 but if I want to switch the lot off I use the TV remote which turns everything off in one go. . Unless you want to call hdmi control

Getting a bit muddy! ARC is audio return channel and allows the TV to send audio back to, say, the AVR through HDMI only when the TV is producing the sound (not BD or other device) and it needs to be 'distributed' to the speakers by the AVR.

HDMI-CEC is a totally separate setting on all(?) modern kit which allows the control of other devices' on/off facilities by sending a 'message' through HDMI to those other devices.

The confusion often occurs because some manufacturers do not permit CEC unless ARC is in use but the two things are still separate entities.

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

What handshake issue?

I didn't comment on the handshake part of your post cos of the discussion on CEC/ARC but it's generally accepted that first thing to try is starting up your components in a different order with the first one to turn on being the TV. To do that your would first of all have to disengage CEC on all devices and then use the individual remotes for each item. Make a note of the order in which you do the turn on sequence.

You could also just try changing the input on your TV and then switching back to HDMI (ARC) and also checking to see that all your components are up to date on firmware.

TRENDING THREADS