In my setup how can I tell if the TV or 4K Blu-ray player is up scaling to 4k hdr?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Samd said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Also I’ve read it’s important to buy certificated hdmi leads that can handle high bandwidths which makes sense if you want to push quality resolution that’s stable .

i have the audioquest peal hdmi leads right though my setup but now and again I do get a handshake issue which can be down to the hdmi leads but unsure how to sort that issue out as I would of thought they are good quality so unsure why I get a handshake issue .
What handshake issue?
now and again I get what they call a handshake issue where my Sony TV will display the input bar when watching a film it’s meant to be were one of the hdmi cables have interrupted the signal and not communicate properly in the chain of the pass though .

i get no loss of picture just the input info bar comes up on the screen so somewhere in my chain of hdmi ‘s I think it’s the TV doing it but unsure without taking a hdmi out one at a time to test were it’s not communicating properly .

but they say that the hdmi cables need a couple of seconds to talk to the chain and I am using ARC so it might be this making the issue as it starts up TV , Av amplifier , Oppo one by one when pressing the Oppo power button .

But I have read that hdmi cable quality can be an issue with handshake issue and I’ve read that from AVS forums

I didn't comment on the handshake part of your post cos of the discussion on CEC/ARC but it's generally accepted that first thing to try is starting up your components in a different order with the first one to turn on being the TV. To do that your would first of all have to disengage CEC on all devices and then use the individual remotes for each item. Make a note of the order in which you do the turn on sequence.

You could also just try changing the input on your TV and then switching back to HDMI (ARC) and also checking to see that all your components are up to date on firmware.
probably my trouble

because if I turn the Tv on first then the Av comes on next but no source but if I turn the Oppo on first then the Tv comes on then the Av

if I do not use the ARC then obviously I would have to use each remote control to turn on each source and I have 5 remote controls but not sure if the Yamaha Av remote control is a learning remote and how easy it is to control all sources

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
Samd said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Also I’ve read it’s important to buy certificated hdmi leads that can handle high bandwidths which makes sense if you want to push quality resolution that’s stable .

i have the audioquest peal hdmi leads right though my setup but now and again I do get a handshake issue which can be down to the hdmi leads but unsure how to sort that issue out as I would of thought they are good quality so unsure why I get a handshake issue .
What handshake issue?
now and again I get what they call a handshake issue where my Sony TV will display the input bar when watching a film it’s meant to be were one of the hdmi cables have interrupted the signal and not communicate properly in the chain of the pass though .

i get no loss of picture just the input info bar comes up on the screen so somewhere in my chain of hdmi ‘s I think it’s the TV doing it but unsure without taking a hdmi out one at a time to test were it’s not communicating properly .

but they say that the hdmi cables need a couple of seconds to talk to the chain and I am using ARC so it might be this making the issue as it starts up TV , Av amplifier , Oppo one by one when pressing the Oppo power button .

But I have read that hdmi cable quality can be an issue with handshake issue and I’ve read that from AVS forums

I didn't comment on the handshake part of your post cos of the discussion on CEC/ARC but it's generally accepted that first thing to try is starting up your components in a different order with the first one to turn on being the TV. To do that your would first of all have to disengage CEC on all devices and then use the individual remotes for each item. Make a note of the order in which you do the turn on sequence.

You could also just try changing the input on your TV and then switching back to HDMI (ARC) and also checking to see that all your components are up to date on firmware.
probably my trouble

because if I turn the Tv on first then the Av comes on next but no source but if I turn the Oppo on first then the Tv comes on then the Av

if I do not use the ARC then obviously I would have to use each remote control to turn on each source and I have 5 remote controls but not sure if the Yamaha Av remote control is a learning remote and how easy it is to control all sources

In that case, I would try for a few sessions using the TV remote which also turns on the AVR then use the Oppo remote to turn that on. It's really a matter of trying different HDMI sequence combinations.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Just get Logitech Harmony remote.

doesn't replace everything but makes it a lot easier. I don't use the apps on the TV so if i need to use the TV cursor then i have to use the LG remote although you can get to most things using UDLR on the harmony.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:

doesn't replace everything but makes it a lot easier. I don't use the apps on the TV so if i need to use the TV cursor then i have to use the LG remote although you can get to most things using UDLR on the harmony.

Samd

bigboss said:

I am a fan also but their one real 'issue' is not of their making. Most manufacturers produce kit with a power toggle rather than on and off (bring back the old days). Multi-function remotes do not know what the power toggle state is in, only what they did to it last! Other and Better Half gets into a right mud-hole when this happens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts