Internet radio through network

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I posted a simular, well the same question realy last week but put it on the Home Cinema section, thought I'd try it here.

Basically I'm streaming music to my AV receiver and would like to try the Internet radio but keep getting server error, although the Network is working fine. The question is, is it posssible to stream Internet radio from a PC? If so does enyone know what I need to do, settings etc..?
The other option I was thinking of is to get a NAS with Internet radio built in.

A

Anonymous

Del Smith:The question is, is it posssible to stream Internet radio from a PC?

How have you got this connected, with a crossover or to the router? The receiver shouldn't need the PC it should be able to access internet radio through its own connection.ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for answering so quickly.

I've got the receiver connected to a belkin router using cat5 cable from downstairs at the receiver to the router upstairs, then the PC connected to the router. I know the network is fine since I got windows media to work, the receiver even see's my laptop which is wireless so I'm halfway there.
The settings on the receiver I have set to automatic DHCP (which I believe is for the Lan IP addresses/subnet etc..) and then it asks for a proxy server and port number, I have put in the PC host name as proxy and tried many port numbers. This is where I get stuck.

A

Anonymous

It should be pretty simple to connect to internet radio, you don't need to connect to your PC. Have a look at page 78-80 in the manual.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks.

Found it in the small print it was the firewall on the router, and the proxy server setting needed to be set to off page 83. I've set the IP address of the receiver on the DMZ part of the firewall which I think makes it vulnerable to hackers/viruses, but now I know the cause I can figure out.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You shouldn't need to set a proxy server unless the firewall is blocking communications out. In virtually all default cases, leaving the proxy server and port setting blank should allow the connection out just fine.

A

Anonymous

I'm getting a similar message on my Yamaha DSPZ7, "access error". Internet radio worked fine on my RXV 3800. I haven't changed any network settings. How can i check to see if firewall settings are set correctly? Do i have to change any settings on the amp?

Juzzie Wuzzie

I am surprised that you have to change something on your router from its "out of the box" settings (unless you've changed something in the past). All the internet radios I've had just latched right onto the network. If it is a stand-alone unit, potentially it could be having issues with any "n-signals" that are in your area - older Acoustic Energy units had this problem until you updated the USB wifi stick inside it.

How are you streaming to your AV receiver - does it have network capabilities, or are you using an airport express / internet radio plugged into it?

Simplest solution I've found for internet radio is computer to AV receiver through an airport express.

A

Anonymous

The DSPZ7 has network capabilities, it's connected to router via CAT 5 cable. I haven't changed any settings. The RXV 3800 worked just fine, there shouldn't be a difference between Z7 and RXV 3800.

A

Anonymous

Del,

Did you get the Internet Radio to work? I still can't connect and keep getting "access error". My Yamaha DSP Z7 is connected to my network in the same way as your set up.

A

Anonymous

Charl:
Del,

Did you get the Internet Radio to work? I still can't connect and keep getting "access error". My Yamaha DSP Z7 is connected to my network in the same way as your set up.

Hi Charl, it took me many hours to get it to work for me.
I can tell you what I know.
Instead of using the automatic DHCP I used a static IP address, not sure what you know about this but my router has a limit of 1 to 255 I think and the router is number 1, so choose any number instead of that 10 for example and then the subnet numbers normally 255.255.255.0
the important one is the gateway, this I think is the address your router uses to connect to the internet. It has to be the same number your router is using. If the router is switched off at any time then this number will change, you can find what this is when you access the router via your pc. The next thing is the DNS server setting,until recently this was on auto in my house for all PC's until I had problems and then TalkTalk (my provider) told me what numbers to put in, so I used the same numbers for the receiver. Your problem might be the DNS or the gateway.

I've only found this out since I bought a networked receiver.
Hope this helps, I'm not the greatest with computers, perhaps someone can add to this?

A

Anonymous

Hi Del,

Thanks, i will try and see if that works for me. I thought it might be the firewall but i disabled the firewall without any luck. I managed to access internet radio via itunes and windows media player so it can't be my computer, must be the router settings.

A

Anonymous

Totally forgot,

I had to go into the DMZ firewall of the router and put in the static IP of the receiver.

A

Anonymous

Hi Del,

Thanks a lot for the help, I managed to get it working. I needed to get the DNS from my service provider and change the DMZ firewall.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Charl:
Hi Del,

Thanks a lot for the help, I managed to get it working. I needed to get the DNS from my service provider and change the DMZ firewall.
emotion-21.gif

I'm glad I could help, frustrated me for ages, you would think new technology would make things easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts