Integrated or PWR Amp?

praggers1

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I am in the process of upgrading my hi-fi. I currently have a 5.1 set up with Denon AV and entry level focal 700's.

I want to upgrade my floorstanders to the Focal Aria 936. I don't think they are going to sound that great listening to music with the AV amp.

My question is do I add an integrated amp or a power amp to the set up?

I've been reading blogs on the subject and I'm pushing towards integrated as it avoids using the AV completely. The Musical Fidelity M6si would do the job I think.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated, please don't suggest purchasing both a pre amp and power amp as that it out of my price range.

Cheers all.

Steve

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard the Musical Fidelity but the opinions are very favourable. On the other hand, Arcam suits very well the Focals. So you could either try the P38 or better wait for the new A49.

Congratulations for the speakers *good*

superphill

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
hi

i have a 5.1 home cinema set up with onkyo txnr709 kef 2000 .11 i think thats what they are bluray player arcam 651 but i also love music and after trying to listen to a nad c 545 bee cd player through home cinema system for the last 4 years i have just purchased roksan k2 and dali zensors 7 to play music and i have to say that is the only way to go 2 seperate systems

superphill

praggers1 said:
I am in the process of upgrading my hi-fi. I currently have a 5.1 set up with Denon AV and entry level focal 700's.

I want to upgrade my floorstanders to the Focal Aria 936. I don't think they are going to sound that great listening to music with the AV amp.

My question is do I add an integrated amp or a power amp to the set up?

I've been reading blogs on the subject and I'm pushing towards integrated as it avoids using the AV completely. The Musical Fidelity M6si would do the job I think.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated, please don't suggest purchasing both a pre amp and power amp as that it out of my price range.

Cheers all.

Steve

Hi Steve

Which Denon AV amp are using?

Will the Aria 936's still be part of an AV system?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

In which case i feel that a quality integrated amplifier such as the M6si is likely to be a better bet as your system will not only benefit benefit from higher quality of power but also pre amplification.

Fwiw, Focal partly developed the Aria Series with Naim amplification so their SuperNait 2 is also worth bearing in mind. We've also had excellent results pairing Aria speakers with Hegel's H80, H300 and H30 amplification. Around your budget their H200 is worth a look.

Btw, all three intergated amplifiers offer dedicated home theatre inputs making it'll be a doddle to integrated with an AV receiver/processor.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

praggers1

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your help Rick.

One more question -

If I went down the road of just a 2 channel power amp would it matter when I'm watching movies that the centre channel would be getting a lot less power to it than the fronts?

Would it sound more cohesive if all 3 front speakers were delivered the same power? I've read that the centre channel does 50-75% of the work when watching movies.

I'll be getting the new Aria CC as well as the 936's. The rears are just the sibs (and don't do too much) so I'm not worried about them.

The reason I ask is you can get 3 channel power amps.

What do you think?

Cheers, Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts