Int amp choices for ATC SCM 11 or 19

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

This is my1st post in this forum.

I'm about to pull a trigger on the scm11 or the 19.

In a week i would decide which speaker.

I'm hoping you guys can share what amps, int amps you fellows are using with the 11 or the 19s ?

I read they require 50w to 300w to shine.

realistically, is the "more power-the better" a key factor in making the most out of these speakers ?

I would also like to ask which speaker cables are you guys using ?

Thanks for the inputs.

Noli

nolitan:

Hello all, This is my1st post in this forum.

I'm about to pull a trigger on the scm11 or the 19.

In a week i would decide which speaker.

I'm hoping you guys can share what amps, int amps you fellows are using with the 11 or the 19s ?

I read they require 50w to 300w to shine.

realistically, is the "more power-the better" a key factor in making the most out of these speakers ?

I would also like to ask which speaker cables are you guys using ?

Thanks for the inputs.

Noli

Hi nolitan

If your room can accomodate the SCM19's than i believe they are the ones to go for. There is no difference in HF performance between the SCM11's and the SCM19's (this also appiles to the rest of the Entry Series) as they use the same HF unit however in practically every other area the SCM19's offer better performance than the SCM11's. It is with the SCM19's and above that ATC well and truly start to flex their muscles having already given an exceedingly good taste of what they are capable of with the SCM7/11's. The SCM19's incorporate a massively engineered mid/bass drive unit which features ATC's Super Linear Magnet Technology. The SLMT mid/bass drive unit itself weighs more than a complete SCM11! I sell more SCM19's than SCM11's and by a margin.

ATC recommend amplifiers of 50-300w however this does not necessarily mean that they need 300w of power to get the best out of them. The quality of power (as long as it is sufficiently potent) is far more important than the overall quantity. ATC's own ampilfiers are rated at 150w.

If it is an integrated amplifier that you require than at the moment (as you have not specified a budget) i will suggest that you consider ATC's own SIA2-150 MK2 integrated which retails at £2376. It is an excellent performer and one that can punch well above its weight with many excellent design paramaters such as class A bias, low distortion and a high current and damping factor to keep things in check.

The speaker cable that i often use is generic and is around £3/m.

Btw, what is your budget for an amplifier and what source/s will you be using?

Happy new year.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

For the int amp, i'm thinking of the ff as my choices:

LFD Zero LE Mk III.

McIntosh 6900 (200w)

Luxman 509u (100w)

Accuphase 180w int amp

I know that these speakers are critical of power, but what about quality of the power ?

I'll consider the ATC own's int amp if ever the ATC character will be to my liking.

Thanks again.

Noli

A

Anonymous

read somewhere on the internet that the krell kav-400xi is a good match with ATC ... 200 Watts @ 8 Ohms ..... and reasonably priced ...

nolitan:

Thanks for the reply.

For the int amp, i'm thinking of the ff as my choices:

LFD Zero LE Mk III.

McIntosh 6900 (200w)

Luxman 509u (100w)

Accuphase 180w int amp

I know that these speakers are critical of power, but what about quality of the power ?

I'll consider the ATC own's int amp if ever the ATC character will be to my liking.

Thanks again.

Noli

Hi Noli

I am not sure about the LFD amp but apart from the SIA2-150 MK2 the others mentioned (McIntosh, Luxman, Accuphase, Primare and Krell) should all be fine with the SCM11's/SCM19's.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Well, there is a fellow in the forum driving SCM19 with Nait XS
emotion-1.gif

It may be a nice option too

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:ATC recommend amplifiers of 50-300w however this does not necessarily mean that they need 300w of power to get the best out of them. The quality of power (as long as it is sufficiently potent) is far more important than the overall quantity. ATC's own ampilfiers are rated at 150w.

Nice one Rick, frank as always.
emotion-5.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Noli

Whether you go for the11's or 19's will depend on your room. If it's a small room, go for the 11's, if it's a larger one, the 19's.

The power rating of amplifiers will vary hugely, so you may come across some amplifiers rated around 100wpc, and some similarly priced amps only producing 40wpc. This doesn't necessarily mean that the 100wpc amplifier will sound louder. It's all down to current capability, or an amplifier's ability to reproduce sudden bursts of music (transients). So to say a 50wpc amplifier won't suit these speakers may not necessarily be true, as it'll be more down to other aspects of the amplifier to define it's capabilities.

Having recently played about with ATC's CA2/P1 pre/power amplifiers (costing only a little more than their integrated) with the SCM11's, and a budget 50-wpc amplifier from a highly regarded electronics manufacturer, the difference between the two were enormous. The budget 50 watter's higher frequencies sounded splashy and a little harsh, with a more coarse midrange. There was more bass present with the cheaper amp (which many people would instantly prefer), but the control just wasn't there. ATC's amplifier's really are made for their own speakers - or shoud I say that the other way round - their speakers really are designed to match their amplification. What was coming from the SCM11's with ATC's amplifier just sounded 'right', like it was a matched pairing, which of course, it was.

The amplifiers you mention should all work ok with the ATC's, but do try their own - and try the pre/power if you prefer to think longer term regarding your system.

Graham_Thomas:MUSICRAFT:ATC recommend amplifiers of 50-300w however this does not necessarily mean that they need 300w of power to get the best out of them. The quality of power (as long as it is sufficiently potent) is far more important than the overall quantity. ATC's own ampilfiers are rated at 150w. Nice one Rick, frank as always.
emotion-5.gif

Hi Graham_Thomas

Thanks for your kind words and support.
emotion-1.gif

Happy new year.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Nolitan, unless you're room is very small I'd follow the advice above and go for the 19's if budget allows. My own listening room is fairly modest and I had the 19's singing. The sealed box design means that you can position them very close to walls and combined with the neutral response means they avoid sounding boomy and overpowering a room.

As for amp, there's plenty mentioned above to choose from. It really is quality over quantity of watts - and when you're ready to upgrade and add both the ATC's will reward you even further.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

crimsondonkey:
Nolitan, unless you're room is very small I'd follow the advice above and go for the 19's if budget allows. My own listening room is fairly modest and I had the 19's singing. The sealed box design means that you can position them very close to walls and combined with the neutral response means they avoid sounding boomy and overpowering a room.

As for amp, there's plenty mentioned above to choose from. It really is quality over quantity of watts - and when you're ready to upgrade and add both the ATC's will reward you even further.

Good luck.

Hello Crimson,

Thank you for sharing the experience.

Yes, i went with the atc scm19s.

I see from your system that you have the Bryston 4bsst. That should be more than enough power for the ATCs.

I was also looking at that line & considering the new 3bsst's w/ 150w.

Nonetheless, will see what happens.

By the way, does atc prefer light stands for heavy sand filled stands ?

I have an old 24" Osiris stands which are heavy!! I hope this stands will work.

I can also secure an atacama 24" if i have to.

thanks again for the reply everyone!

Happy New Year.

Noli

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I just know you're gonna be chuffed with the 19's, especially once they've run in and really start to sing!

As far as stands - go for the sturdiest and heaviest you can find. I bought some Atacama 24's s/h for about £20 and filled them (not quite to the top) with atabites and had them on spike feet sat on 3 layers of granite plinth. That worked really well. Due to the weight of the speakers you'll do well to eliminate lateral movement and flexing from the stands but with some patient levelling you'll get there.

Yeah the Bryston has all the grunt and more and happily drives the ATC's, getting a distortion free sound at all listening levels. Well worth an audition. I'm currently considering a move to Mark Levinson power amp so the 4Bsstc may well become available in the near future.

Good luck and happy listening.

nolitan:crimsondonkey:

Good luck.

Hello Crimson, Thank you for sharing the experience.

Yes, i went with the atc scm19s.

I see from your system that you have the Bryston 4bsst. That should be more than enough power for the ATCs.

I was also looking at that line & considering the new 3bsst's w/ 150w.

Nonetheless, will see what happens.

By the way, does atc prefer light stands for heavy sand filled stands ?

I have an old 24" Osiris stands which are heavy!! I hope this stands will work.

I can also secure an atacama 24" if i have to.

thanks again for the reply everyone!

Happy New Year.

Noli

Hi Noli

Your welcome.

You have made a great choice with the SCM19's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick & Crimson, Thanks for the helpful insight! appreciate it!I look forward to the ATC SCM19s.I hope they won't disappoint. My current speakers are the Harbeths SHL5s and am enjoying them quite a bit.The Levinsons should be a step up over the Brystons.Good luck in that regards.Noli

A

Anonymous

I'm surprised you're changing those SHL5s for SCM19s. Is there something you don't like about the Harbeths?

A

Anonymous

Not changing-> love the Harbeths. Just having a 2nd system.Something different as I've used harbeths for 4 years now.

A

Anonymous

emotion-1.gif
Cool. I thought it sounded rather odd! Enjoy the SCMs, excellent kit. Also enjoy the Harbeths, stunning kit
emotion-5.gif

nolitan:
Rick & Crimson,

Thanks for the helpful insight! appreciate it!
I look forward to the ATC SCM19s.
I hope they won't disappoint. My current speakers are the Harbeths SHL5s and am enjoying them quite a bit.
The Levinsons should be a step up over the Brystons.
Good luck in that regards.
Noli

hi Noli

Your welcome.

You'll be just fine with the SCM19's.
emotion-1.gif

Yes, the i too believe the Mark Levinson amps to be a step up from the already excellent Bryston amps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Any chance you have tried digital amps with the ATCs ?

One I was looking at are the ones by Bel Canto Designs.

http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/bel_canto_ref500.htm

http://www.belcantodesign.com/prodrev.php?cat=2

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_Digital_Amplifiers.html

Regards

Noli

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts