New ATC SCM 11 vs Old SCM 19?

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I currently own the old SCM 11 and looking to upgrade them. I can get both the new 11 or old 19 for around the same price, the 19 being second hand. I'm pushing with a Naim Supernait 2. My room is not very big at about 3m x 2.75m. Listen to everything except for classical.

Will the 19 be overwhelming for this room size? Many have commented on the upgrade in sound quality from the new tweeter, cabinet, and crossover. Is that upgrade more substantial than upgrading to the SL driver of the old 19?

SteveR750

I can only comment on the quality of the new tweeter, it's fabulous. I've not heard the old version, but even so don't subscribe to the view that ATCs are harsh or thin sounding, unless the source components are.

Given your room size, I'd go for the new 11s personally.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with the 19's. If you are willing to 'adjust' your volume settings the larger boxes should not be an issue, but offer the same and 'more' that your current speaker offers.

It may be worth trying to get an audition with the New 11's and bring yours with you for a direct comparison.

Hi eltee00

curved SCM11 monitors
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I moved from the old SCM11's to old SCM19's. But I ran into trouble, as I found them very power hungry. They sounded good with a 100W amp, but really came alive when I stuck some serious power into them. That mid driver is 9kg, I believe, so a lot of metal in there. I'd say that the 19's go a bit deeper, but some prefer the tone of the 11's. I've only heard the new style 11's once briefly, and I found them to a bit bright and forward. But I guess a lot is system/room/ear dependant. I'd give the new 11's a listen at home and see they fit in.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
eltee00,

I also have a relatively small room (4m x 4m) and replaced floorstanders with the new SCM11. Never heard the old version so cannot comment on comparisons. The new curved model sounds great and I have no regret over losing some of the (overblown) bass that I was getting before. There is no harshness to the sound and I would not describe them as being overly 'bright'. They just seem to do things 'right' and without drawing your attention to top, middle or bottom! Great value for money and I can only imagine how the SCM40s perform (some envy here, I confess). May one day give a pair of their active stand mounts a listen...... good luck and try to hear them at home.

SteveR750

Pedro2 said:
eltee00,

I also have a relatively small room (4m x 4m) and replaced floorstanders with the new SCM11. Never heard the old version so cannot comment on comparisons. The new curved model sounds great and I have no regret over losing some of the (overblown) bass that I was getting before. There is no harshness to the sound and I would not describe them as being overly 'bright'. They just seem to do things 'right' and without drawing your attention to top, middle or bottom! Great value for money and I can only imagine how the SCM40s perform (some envy here, I confess). May one day give a pair of their active stand mounts a listen...... good luck and try to hear them at home.

Pedro, the 40s will sound the same, just louder, and bit more bass extension.

The new tweeter is a gem isn't it? I always thought ATCs would be bright, harsh even. I was very wrong.

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Fair comment, the new SCM 11 could not be described as a bright speaker: it does its best not to colour the sound at all. Perhaps I was comparing it to the old style ones. What I love about them is the way they just get out of the way and let the music flow. But they are ruthless at revealing the system upstream and the recording. But I stand by my comment that the 19's do need a lot more power to truly shine.

I heard the 40's once: very impressive in a 'revealing everything there' kind of way, but somehow a bit clinical, didn't have the grin factor of the 11's/19's. Would be perfect in a studio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts