Onkyo A 9755 Amplifier and ATC SCM 11 V2 Speakers

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Good evening

I'm thinking of buying an Onkyo A 9755 to power my ATC SMC 11 V2 speakers, to replace my old Denon PMA 920 105w 8 ohm amp which doesn't seem to give me the bass I'd like to hear, I'd go from 105w to 150 wow, would that be a good idea? and if not, what would you recommend moderately priced, whether new or used

Good evening

I'm thinking of buying an Onkyo A 9755 to power my ATC SMC 11 V2 speakers, to replace my old Denon PMA 920 105w 8 ohm amp which doesn't seem to give me the bass I'd like to hear, I'd go from 105w to 150 wow, would that be a good idea? and if not, what would you recommend moderately priced, whether new or used
I think your speakers deserve a more expensive amp than one that ceased to be manufactured in 2008.
Define "moderately priced" .

105 to 150 sounds like a big number. But the way volume/loudness works means it’s just a bit louder. You might notice no difference in practice.

Your ATCs are very revealing. Ideally one of ATCs own amps would suit, used from c £1500.

Reactions: Al ears
105 to 150 sounds like a big number. But the way volume/loudness works means it’s just a bit louder. You might notice no difference in practice.

Your ATCs are very revealing. Ideally one of ATCs own amps would suit, used from c £1500.
indeed, they don't need a huge wpc increase they need an amp with excellent current delivery.
May I suggest a good used, or even new, Rotel integrated?

TrevC

Unfortunately swapping out one perfectly good amplifier for another isn't going to change the sound very much, if at all. Unless you add tone controls.

Add a sub or change the speakers if you want a bass improvement.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
You speakers arnt really what you call bass heavy and a sealed design (I think) also means they may appear even lighter than they actually are. Trev has point that an amp won’t nessarily bring more bass but amp with better current delivery and is able to handle more dynamic swings might bring more in the way of excitement. An amp doesn’t have to be expensive especially on the second hand market. The down side is the older more affordable examples maybe come up for a service.

An example of an amp with a load juice in the tank is a NAD 370, or if you need somthing with a few more bells and whistles a Yamaha dsp z11 can be had for around 8-1500 quid for clean examples. If they dont inject some life into your speakers nothing will

Or if the OP wants a high quality amp at bargain bucket prices, he could do a lot worse than my amp. Not heard ATCs but it had no issues with Harbeth P3s.

That said, a sealed cabinet will never give you extreme bass of a similar-priced ported or vented model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts