Question Speakers for NAD 316 BEE v2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I will not pay for some pice of metal stick hundreds just to take my space and give me mere shadow of quality of floor-standing speaker. I am off to buy floor standers like Dali Oberon 5.

Really disappointed - My previous system costed under 1000£ (Onkyo 8150 + Canton Gle 470) and delivered plesure.
None of the bookshelf I had so far (had 3 now ) was even close.

All I wanted was something I put on shelf and get maybe less volume but decent quality. It does not work this way it seems.

Last edited:
I will not pay for some pice of metal stick hundreds just to take my space and give me mere shadow of quality of floor-standing speaker. I am off to buy floor standers like Dali Oberon 5.

Really disappointed - My previous system costed under 1000£ (Onkyo 8150 + Canton Gle 470) and delivered plesure.

All I wanted was something I put on shelf and get maybe less volume but decent quality. It does not work this way it seems.
Not many speakers these days are designed to work well on a shelf.

Okay, fine. You might also be disappointed by Dali Oberon 5, which really will only shine with a very good amp. Chances are they might sound better. It's a very expensive gamble. If they don't work you are paying for a very expensive paperweight.

Hi-fi is strange hobby. What they call bookshelf speakers aren't designed for bookshelves. Why? No real idea.

The problem as you describe is mainly down to speaker placement. Chairs weren't designed for speakers, probably explains the rumbling (surprised no one else has mentioned this). Speaker stands are specifically design to minimize resonance or vibrations that can make a system sound boomy or unbalanced.

Two ways to approach this: Either buy used pair of stands or take a gamble on floorstanders. If you can't demo it'll be far more costly than stands. No one will tell you what to do, we can only advise you.

Or buy another amp, sell your NAD on a auction site. Something like Arcam DIVA range: similar tonal quality to the NAD but less bassy.

Over to you.

Reactions: Al ears

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I am sending NAD 316 v2 back as still got it only 2 weeks now.
Seeling Triangles on ebay.

I seen package deal Marantz 6007 + Oberon 5 for £900 ]. I love the size of Oberon 5 and that it's said it can be close to wall (10 cm).

I will check this in Richer Sounds and if it gives me pleasure without issues I will likely buy and pray my room will not skew everything and make me regret :)

And it's not only me my wife heard my Onkyo and Canton pair and also says the music now is "pfff" nothing exciting. I really hoped I could spend less but I guess this will stay for years so ok... let's make it 1K then

Reactions: plastic penguin

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just reading through the thread, there is no way any of your issues are with the NAD amplifier. It’s a completely neutral amplifier with ruler flat frequency response, if it had inflated bass it would be defective.

Your issues are because you have speakers on chairs, this is never going to sound optimal. The thing is when trying to achieve good hifi playback most of the results come from speaker placement and room acoustics not the electronics.

You need to choose a speaker and stand combination, or a floor standing tower speaker that works in your environment and suits your tastes. There is nothing wrong with the NAD though that’s for sure.

Just reading through the thread, there is no way any of your issues are with the NAD amplifier. It’s a completely neutral amplifier with ruler flat frequency response, if it had inflated bass it would be defective.

Your issues are because you have speakers on chairs, this is never going to sound optimal. The thing is when trying to achieve good hifi playback most of the results come from speaker placement and room acoustics not the electronics.

You need to choose a speaker and stand combination, or a floor standing tower speaker that works in your environment and suits your tastes. There is nothing wrong with the NAD though that’s for sure.
I've not heard that NAD but the ones I have from the similar period (352 and 370) have tonally very warm. They lacked transparency compared to similar priced amps from the likes of Arcam and Rotel. That said, they are very ballsy sounding.

Think the OP said he's going to visit Richers for a demo. If he can take the NAD to compare, that'll solve (or should) his sonic issues. I would also suggest he takes his current speakers and hear them on proper stands.

SteveR750

I've not heard that NAD but the ones I have from the similar period (352 and 370) have tonally very warm. They lacked transparency compared to similar priced amps from the likes of Arcam and Rotel. That said, they are very ballsy sounding.

Think the OP said he's going to visit Richers for a demo. If he can take the NAD to compare, that'll solve (or should) his sonic issues. I would also suggest he takes his current speakers and hear them on proper stands.
I had the c352 for about 4 years before the journey of two Roksans, an Arcam another class D NAD and a Hegel. Its not warm by any means, it has a flat FR and low distortion. The differences between a 352 and a 5k Hegel were in hindsight fairly small with budget speakers. Where you put your speakers, and how thick your curtains and carpet are have a much much bigger impact on SQ!

I had the c352 for about 4 years before the journey of two Roksans, an Arcam another class D NAD and a Hegel. Its not warm by any means, it has a flat FR and low distortion. The differences between a 352 and a 5k Hegel were in hindsight fairly small with budget speakers. Where you put your speakers, and how thick your curtains and carpet are have a much much bigger impact on SQ!
Hi Steve. Long time no read. 🙂

When I demoed three amps back in circa 2005, NAD 352, Arcam A65+ and Rotel RA02, the NAD was the least open. It was the most powerful sounding of the trio. Mind you this was at Unilet and at home. Obv I chose the Arcam and loved it until I got the Leema.

I've often described NAD as the hi-fi equivalent to a Ford XR3i: cheap to buy, powerful but ultimately flatters to deceive. 😋

SteveR750

Hi Steve. Long time no read. 🙂

When I demoed three amps back in circa 2005, NAD 352, Arcam A65+ and Rotel RA02, the NAD was the least open. It was the most powerful sounding of the trio. Mind you this was at Unilet and at home. Obv I chose the Arcam and loved it until I got the Leema.

I've often described NAD as the hi-fi equivalent to a Ford XR3i: cheap to buy, powerful but ultimately flatters to deceive. 😋
Hey PP, long time indeed - I think you're being somewhat disingenuous there! I reckon it was more of a Cosworth Sierra myself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts