Better Spekers than Triangle Borea BR03

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
OK - what I gather is:
1. Triangle have potential
2. NAD 316BEE V2 is best candidate

one extra question:
I listened and compared Cambridge AXA25 with (£600) Audiolab 6000A for me I could not tell much difference. I switched sound back and forth but they seemed similar. In contrast when I added DAC magic 100 to my current set up I heard significant difference as compared to Mac Book minijack as source.

- Can NAD 316BEE v2 (£300) really be much better than Cambridge AXA 25 (£250)?

To add some taste info:
- I used to have bigger flat and there Onkyo 8150 + Canton GLE 470 - this is my baseline for decent sound that I am after (or better) that I can't get now from my set up.
- Pioneer A-10K Amp sounded awful

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The Audiolab 6000a includes an unshielded digital section. Beacause the quality of the digital section is otherwise high (plus a few extra watts in driving power) this makes for a more expensive amp, but with a less clear sound. All analogue rules!

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Having said that, you may be missing the bass extension which makes for a fuller sound. Maybe you need to look into 6+ inch speakers that the AXA25 can drive. Hi-fi can be tricky.

Last edited:
Reactions: gasolin

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
This site has paired the Triangle Borea BR03 with the Cambridge Audio CXA61 for its review.

Comments on bass for the reviews of Audiolab 6000A and the CXA61

Audiolab 6000A: "bass is pulled taut"
CXA61: "thumping basslines", "digs up low level details"

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I noticed - on really low volume "singer" is louder in one speaker.
Just to be sure I bought new pair of cables with banana plugs.
I tried again problem persist.
I switched plugs different way round. Problem persist in another speaker.

So the issue is either amp or a song (I guess the amp who would make a song where vocal is sterowise less loud in one ppeaker?)

WayneKerr

I noticed - on really low volume "singer" is louder in one speaker.
Just to be sure I bought new pair of cables with banana plugs.
I tried again problem persist.
I switched plugs different way round. Problem persist in another speaker.

So the issue is either amp or a song (I guess the amp who would make a song where vocal is sterowise less loud in one ppeaker?)
Is this on only one track or across all tracks?

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I don't know what happened
I started thorough testing of my hi fi again this time on TIDAL and sound is great now. My wife also said its better.
I suspect
- old cables were faulty
or new DAC went through warm up period
Or TIDAL is better than spotify / apple music hmmm

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
Tidal is perhaps better, Quboz is also.
DACs don't warm up....
I have impression it's Tidal indeed. Testing now back and forth. It feels it reduces some harshness that I used to hear, sound is more velvety, fuller at same volume. I don't get tired, it's enjoyable. I got impression Spotify is tiring. Like same song wind of change by Scorpions and other.
The difference is very subtle, its like same song with some very fine detail there that makes the difference.

wow now checked Modern Talking Album all songs in Master in Tidal vs regular Spotify - Tidal so much more Exciting, Full mmm pleasure

Last edited:

rainsoothe

The Aria 906, much like the BR03, would be waisted with an amp like the AXA25. The Nad suggestions are great, also an Arcam (maybe sh FMJ A19 or A29) or the Creek Evo 2 suggestions are all very good. A used Roksan Kandy K2 or Caspian m2 are also well worth looking into.

Also, I'd partly blame it on the DacMagic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts