Better Spekers than Triangle Borea BR03

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi
My current hi fi : Cambridge Audio AXA 25 + Triangle Borea BR03 + DAC Magic 100
BR03 got good enough bass, Scene is fantastic you play Louis Armstrong and it feels he stands in front of you but it does't feels enjoyable comparing to hi fi set up I used to have (floor standing Canton GLE)

examples:
- choir in Danny Elfman - Ice Dance feels muffled/muddy/distorted (i think hard to describe - tiring not enjoyable). When I had my previous (sold) set up it used to be something I could just re play 3 times in a row getting excitement.
- trumpets, string instruments feel tiring (multiple songs) - It used to be source of enjoyment.
- Some overall lack of dynamics

Can you tell me model/make of speakers that will be better than BR03? (can be older)

Candidate 1 - Focal Aira 906 - Will work well with CA AXA 25
Candidate 2 - ? -

Keep in Mind Dali minght be good but they will not work with CA AXA 25 for example so I will not consider.

thanks in advance

Hi
BR03 got good enough bass, Scene is fantastic you play Louis Armstrong and it feels he stands in front of you but it does't feels enjoyable comparing to hi fi set up I used to have (floor standing Canton GLE)

examples:
- choir in Danny Elfman - Ice Dance feels muffled/muddy/distorted (i think hard to describe - tiring not enjoyable). When I had my previous (sold) set up it used to be something I could just re play 3 times in a row getting excitement.
- trumpets, string instruments feel tiring (multiple songs) - It used to be source of enjoyment.

Can you tell me model/make of speakers that will be better than BR03? (can be older)

Candidate 2 - ? -

Keep in Mind Dali minght be good but they will not work with CA AXA 25 for example so I will not consider.

thanks in advance
Hiya.

I think your Cambridges could be at fault rather than speakers. The whole kit screams bright. This often results in a fatiguing presentation, especially over longer listening sessions. My basic rule of thumb when building a system is to mix light and dark (lively with smooth)

How do you know Dalis don't work with Cambridge?

Reactions: robdmarsh

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
thanks

brightness for me it's hissing sound - here violin for example it's not hissing it's just "hum" but annoying one rather than enjoyable. (not sure what is the best word in English)

Dali wise - AXA 25 is 25 Watts that is not enough to drive even the Spector 2 i.e. they need more power to get bare minimum from Dali's. It was not the case based on manufacturer recommendation for Triangle's and is not for Focal Aira 906.

thanks

brightness for me it's hissing sound - here violin for example it's not hissing it's just "hum" but annoying one rather than enjoyable. (not sure what is the best word in English)

Dali wise - AXA 25 is 25 Watts that is not enough to drive even the Spector 2 i.e. they need more power to get bare minimum from Dali's. It was not the case based on manufacturer recommendation for Triangle's and is not for Focal Aira 906.
Firstly, the hissing sounds like what's called sibilance. This results in symbols sounding "splashy" and vocalist with "s" in the lyrics sounds like a hissing snake. No idea what the "hum" is, it's sounds like a earthing problem with either amp or source. I would check all wiring and make sure everything is connected correctly.

Regarding the amp being 25 watts and minimum speaker requirements is 30 watts are only manufacturer recommendations.

I'm not a fan of budget Cambridge stuff. Reading between the lines it sounds like you have system imbalance-- everything is on the bright side.

Reactions: Al ears
Firstly, the hissing sounds like what's called sibilance. This results in symbols sounding "splashy" and vocalist with "s" in the lyrics sounds like a hissing snake. No idea what the "hum" is, it's sounds like a earthing problem with either amp or source. I would check all wiring and make sure everything is connected correctly.

Regarding the amp being 25 watts and minimum speaker requirements is 30 watts are only manufacturer recommendations.

I'm not a fan of budget Cambridge stuff. Reading between the lines it sounds like you have system imbalance-- everything is on the bright side.
I would agree, that amplifier is certainly not going to help matters.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
- Buzzing is better, so no hissing but muddy non musical buzzing when it comes to violin. It's not distorition it's just feels non enjoyable. Same vith choir seemed hmm lacking some detail/muddy.

- Buzzing is better, so no hissing but muddy non musical buzzing when it comes to violin. It's not distorition it's just feels non enjoyable. Same vith choir seemed hmm lacking some detail/muddy.
It's unlikely the hum or buzz and sibilance are related.

The non musical or enjoyment is your system imbalance. I think your AXA 25 superseded the Cambridge Topaz range, which was, quite frankly, non-descript.

I would advise you try a different amp. No idea what's available locally but anything other than budget Cambridge.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I seen Marantz 6005 on ebay for £200 - but before I pull the triger I will visit Richer Sounds and try those cheap cambridge CA 25 or 35 with at least 3 bookshelf speakers.

I just hope it's not DAC or Cable quality issue.

I seen Marantz 6005 on ebay for £200 - but before I pull the triger I will visit Richer Sounds and try those cheap cambridge CA 25 or 35 with at least 3 bookshelf speakers.

I just hope it's not DAC or Cable quality issue.
Is just Cambridge and Marantz you can get?

Personally, Marantz and Triangle is a better match. Can you not demo entry-level Arcams or something similar? This is just my personal opinion.

Synergy is incredibly important.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I think it's hype on What HI Fi - It's always Marantz winning but I can see ARCAM A70 AMPLIFIER for 200£ on ebay which also seems interesting.
+ Just read review of Arcam A70 that it's boring and bright :/

Last edited:
I think it's hype on What HI Fi - It's always Marantz winning but I can see ARCAM A70 AMPLIFIER for 200£ on ebay which also seems interesting.
+ Just read review of Arcam A70 that it's boring and bright :/

I'm a big Arcam fan. I've owned their amps and CD player for a scary amount of time over the decades. Really liked most of the DIVA range but the A70 is the worst of the pack. Wasn't bright just non-descript -- it was soulless.

As you have a Richer Sounds listen to a Denon, Marantz 6007 or even a Arcam SA10. I'll guarantee all those will be better than the puny Cambridge.

If you want to buy used, look at a old Creek Evo (either 1 or 2). Creek is so underrated.

I'm a big Arcam fan. I've owned their amps and CD player for a scary amount of time over the decades. Really liked most of the DIVA range but the A70 is the worst of the pack. Wasn't bright just non-descript -- it was soulless.

As you have a Richer Sounds listen to a Denon, Marantz 6007 or even a Arcam SA10. I'll guarantee all those will be better than the puny Cambridge.

If you want to buy used, look at a old Creek Evo (either 1 or 2). Creek is so underrated.
I would second the Creek, depending on what sources he is using

Zakhele

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi

examples:

Candidate 2 - ? -

thanks in advance
Keep the Triangle BRO3 and buy the NAD C316BEE V2 ( £299 new )and thank me later

what I meant was they don't tend to have an inbuilt phono stage any more, it now tends to be an optional expensive plug in module. However if he's only using digital vand has an external DAC that's fine.
To be honest Al, none of Evos had a built-in phono stage. When I demoed the Evo 2 back in 2010, the dealer could offer a module but that was around £300 IIRC, which took it over my allotted budget.

Reactions: Al ears

gasolin

Cambridge audio AXA25 don't have to much bass and there for can sound brigther than most amps it also sounds clearer than mopst amps

The nad amp has crosstalk

Marants PM6005 i think also lack a little bass

The Trangle Borea BR03 don't have to much bass and can sound intrusive,sharp in the highs, lower tweeter

Zeos pantera don't like them (he is live on twitch right now), i would change the speakers Definitive Technology D7 are pretty good despite there small size

If you want active spakers i can highly recommend Eve audio SC 205

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts