Inflation vs improvements - speakers.

Rather than hijack another thread, I'll ask the question separately - prompted by this, which echoes something I'd been thinking about:

You can buy the best speakers you like but if your amp cannot drive them sufficiently well you're wasting your money.
Realistically speaker development has come on in leaps and bounds and, more importantly their prices have dropped, so you should spend more on the amplifier than the speakers for an equivalent package that, years ago, might have seen the opposite.

My speakers are Monitor Audio GR20s, WHF five-star products from 2003 when I bought them. They may well be the weakest link now, and I have wondered what it'll take to get a significant improvement - they still sound fantastic to me. They cost £1,500 in 2003, and obviously prices increase due to inflation - which affects materials, company operational costs, wages etc etc. But also speakers should have improved over that period.

These two things pull in opposite directions, inflation meaning you have to spend more to get the same, development meaning the opposite. So, what do you think I'd need to be looking at to get a significantly better all-rounder (I listen to a wide variety of genres, so all-round talent is non-negotiable)? Must be floostanders as the room is pretty much 7m sq.

I don't - it's more curiosity at present, though I'd like to improve them in the next year or two, maybe. I had been working on the assumption that spending £1,500 now would probably not make a great deal of difference - I am guessing I need to be looking at speakers in the £2-3k region, but wondered whether anyone had an relevant experiences.

I'm less happy using eBay for speakers than electronics - not 100% sure why, but it's something to do with them being largely mechanical and therefore more dependent upon physical condition.

I get the impression that Spendor, PMC and B&W are fairly safe bets, less sure about Monitor Audio or Dali.

When I do make a change I'd hate to get it wrong - I gather RS will allow an extended home demo which appeals, but obviously limits selection. I suspect my brother would have the GR20s off me for £500.

I don't - it's more curiosity at present, though I'd like to improve them in the next year or two, maybe. I had been working on the assumption that spending £1,500 now would probably not make a great deal of difference - I am guessing I need to be looking at speakers in the £2-3k region, but wondered whether anyone had an relevant experiences.

I'm less happy using eBay for speakers than electronics - not 100% sure why, but it's something to do with them being largely mechanical and therefore more dependent upon physical condition.

I get the impression that Spendor, PMC and B&W are fairly safe bets, less sure about Monitor Audio or Dali.

When I do make a change I'd hate to get it wrong - I gather RS will allow an extended home demo which appeals, but obviously limits selection. I suspect my brother would have the GR20s off me for £500.
Understood, I would hazard a guess that, with modern manufacturing processes and computerised what nots, the £1500 speakers of today should better £1500 speakers of yesterday but this may not always be the case.
Obviously auditioning in your own home is crucial but, that's not possible in many cases.
Good though your speakers are it's possible they could be bettered for around £1500-2000, in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts