Advice needed: i. New flat / new sound ii. Bookshelf speakers for A65+

Hi, I've moved into a new flat and would like to get your advice on a couple of things:

1. I have a B&W DM 603 S2 + Arcam A75 + Arcam Rpac setup as the main hifi system. Flats I used this setup before either had wooden flooring or was smaller with very thin carpets which resulted in a rather bass heavy sound. I was happy with this though as it was compensating the "flat" character of DM 603's at low volumes. Only problem was with occasional high volume listening when the bass would become overwhelming.

The living / listening room of my new flat is larger than the old ones and is fully covered with thick carpets. Left speaker sits next to full length glass windows fully covered with blinds and the right one is just by the opening to the corridor and there are two large sofas in front of the wall opposite to them. Also my listening distance (although proportioned with distance between speakers) is higher than before, at about 3.5 - 4 metres.

The result is somewhat a "better" sound with much cleaner mids and better balanced trebles. However, it is just too flat at low volumes so much that some tracks sound very dull, lacking bass. The bass gets better at high volumes but I just can't listen to music that high in a flat. I also figured getting close to the speakers improve the bass but again, I can't move the sofas or the speakers that much (circa 1.5 metres).

Shall I just try and get used to the new sound or would you suggest I should go for a change in my setup, such as selling the Arcam and getting a NAD? I must say I've always loved A75's warm sound though. Would an upgrade on the Rpac DAC make any difference? I coud use it on the setup I am building for my bedroom.

PS. I don't have a big budget for the upgrades. All cabling correct. All good quality cables.

2. I was planning to get a simple Cambridge Audio Azur 340A + Diamond 9.1 setup for my bedroom but I came across a cheap Arcam A65+ and bought it. Could you please recommend speakers? I don't want to spend more than £150 (cheaper the better) and they will be playing at low volumes 95% of the time so they can't have a power-hungry character like the DM 603's.

Many thanks,

Tugrul

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Use your tone controls. Try turning down the bass - it allows you to use more volume. (Bass travels through floors/walls)

Which will allow more detail and snap in the top end and midrange.

It's also worth experimenting with speaker position within your limits too.

Outside of that Quad 11l's or 12l's 2nd hand......

rainsoothe

Hi. Besides tone controls, try using silver coated copper speaker wire - like Chord Rumor 2, or for cheaper, Chord Charnival Silverscreen. Audioquest Type 4 might also be a good option, since it rolls the bass off a little bit, it tames it down - I used to use this to great effect for this particular reason. Imo you should try small twaks like this before spending big.

Also, i think the rPack might be the main culprit - it's known to sound overly smooth and dull. Replace it with Micromega MyDac. Or, if a computer is your source, then a cheap USB audio interface like Behringer UCA202 might be a good sollution as well.

As for the other setup, I think the Dali Zensor 3 or Zensor 1 would be a great match. Or used B&W DM 602 S2 or S3, to keep a sound signature you're accustomed with.

Thompsonuxb said:
Use your tone controls. Try turning down the bass - it allows you to use more volume. (Bass travels through floors/walls)

Thanks for the quick reply Thompsonuxb. I think I couldn't express the problem quite right so I've edited my post now. The problem is the lacking of bass at low volumes. I guess it's the absorption by the carpets...

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have tone controls, turn bass up at low volume, down at high volume.
Give it a few weeks to get used to before spending to fix the problem, so you know exactly what you're trying to fix.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If keeping the Arcam, maybe look at more forward, clean sounding speakers like

- Monitor Audio
- Focal
- Triangle
- Tannoy

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Tugrul Okan said:
However, it is just too flat at low volumes so much that some tracks sound very dull, lacking bass. The bass gets better at high volumes

That's what bass does at low volumes. It's just how the human ear (brain) perceives loudness (Google Fletcher Munson curves if you are into the whole technical side).

Turn up the bass on the tone controls when listening at low volume. Have it flat at normal volumes, and turn it down if the bass is getting boomy at medium to higher volumes.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tugrul Okan said:
Thompsonuxb said:

?

Thanks for the quick reply Thompsonuxb. I think I couldn't express the problem quite right so I've edited my post now. The problem is the lacking of bass at low volumes. I guess it's the absorption by the carpets... 

That was my point.

Sometimes less is more, if you get my meaning.

By turning the bass down it'll allow you to use more volume - playing louder without being a nuscience.

You may find the lack of bass boom unsatisfying but you'll soon appreciate it's quality .

Try it, turn the bass down turn up the volume and see how you get on.

Many thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I will stop using the "direct input" and try to enhance the sound with tone controls for a while. If still not satisfied, upgrading to a DAC with more punchy output could be a good idea. I can pick one with additional input for the TV set and use the rpac in the bedroom.

Try repositioning the speakers before using any tone controls.my Naim amps and other higher end stuff have none,It should be a last resort.using walls,cables and stands are all ways of honing the sound of your system.if you're after more bass at lower levels,I'd suggest positioning the speakers right up against the wall and when more volume is required,give them a bit of space,yes it's a bit of a pain,but it's free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts