Dekstop 2.0 speakers...Creative vs. Bose vs ...

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

So, I need some 'premium-ish' desktop speakers to go with my new set-up. I already have a 'main' set-up comprising a Marantz PM6005 and Monitor Audio RX1s, but I need some decent audio at my desk as I now spend a lot of time there working :cry:

Space is a real premium so I need a 2.0 system - no subwoofer, no exceptions! A friend has loaned me their Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II, which I am pleased with, but they are big and black (would prefer a nice silver aluminium finish to match my MacBook, keyboard/trackpad, lamp, monitors, etc. In terms of sound quality they are okay but seem to lack a bit of 'sparkle'. The bass is not deep enough and what there is is overblown to compensate, and the highs just aren't there. Mids are very impressive. On the other hand, I'm thinking I may be a bit spoilt with the Monitor Audio speakers in terms of highs - I love the MA highs. :pray:

Anyway, my primary goal in posting here is to see what the general community consensus is regarding these two very well-reviewed speaker systems. I'm open to new suggestions but please bear in mind that I simply do not have room for a 2.1 system, nor do I have room for 'bookshelf' form-factor speakers. They need to be desktop friendly like the two I've mentioned.

Thank you in advance for any input - it is greatly appreciated! :)

Joseph.

Personally, I really like Bose for their computer speakers and Quiet Comfort headphones. I didn't like their home cinema speakers. Bose Computer MusicMonitor is very good for the money, is compact and will match your MacBook very well. My Bose computer speaker is 10 years old now, and I just love it.

If your budget allows, check out B&W MM-1:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX583ZM/A/Bowers-&-Wilkins-MM-1-Speakers

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Personally, I really like Bose for their computer speakers and Quiet Comfort headphones. I didn't like their home cinema speakers. Bose Computer MusicMonitor is very good for the money, is compact and will match your MacBook very well. My Bose computer speaker is 10 years old now, and I just love it.

More praise for the Bose - I have some too. Don't think you'll find anything so small that sounds so good.

I can also recommend the Audiopro Addon T8 if you need a bluetooth connection but they are quite a bit bigger - although still compact!

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Especially appreciate all the info you've posted bigboss. :clap:

I failed to mention a budget in the OP. The going price of the Bose Companion 20s, £199, is the absolute limit I will pay. Even that is something of a stretch but, given the stellar reviews, I feel increasing my budget to be worthwhile.

I'm really digging the styling of the Bose range - it matches my MacBook and everything else I have really well. Obviously sound quality is the overriding factor here but I am trying to make a modern, uncluttered desk space so anything that fits those criteria gets a headstart over other products.

Looking into those MA WS100s was interesting. They're a lovely form-factor and match the Bose Companion 20s on price. That said, they are wireless and feature an IR remote, whereas Bose have taken a 'no frills' approach to the Companion 20, which should mean more money put into the drivers themselves, right? :?

Going by reviews I'm also getting the feeling that the speakers are a little light on bass - not a bad thing but for stretching my budget I'd rather not have something that's "a little light" [a paraphrased quote from reviews I've read] on bass.

The B&W recommendation looked fabulous but I simply can't drop £400 on desktop speakers - I spent considerably less on my open-box RX1s (which I picked up last year for £249, never used just a torn box!)

I might see if I can have a listen to the Bose Companion 20s at my local John Lewis soon. There's supposed to be a Bose shop opening here in Newcastle at some point but it's not materialised yet! Besides, the sales assistants at JL should be a little less biased!

Thanks again for the input so far guys! 8)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
The Bose music monitors (silver) are going for £208 at Peter Tyson currently. They are a lot smaller than the Companion 20's. I don't really notice the lightness of bass too much, it's probably boosted in some Bosey sort of way but only to be expected with something so small and no sub? Can't have everything.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I've got a pair of B&W MM-1 in my computer and I'm happy with them. I think you could get them second-hand in good shape for maybe slightly more than £200, so if that's ok with you, they could fit in your budget.

You'd need to know what you buy, though. I decided for them because the internal sound card in my computer connected to my screen speakers through hdmi proved to be noisy. I decided to replace the whole set, since the speakers in my Eizo screen are terrible anyways, and use an external audio interface. The MM-1 fitted the billed perfectly. Functionally speaking, I think they are simply the perfect computer speakers.

For music, the sound is a bit warmer and less detailed than I usually like, though. I think this has more to do with the B&W sound signature than the capabilities of speakers of this size. Having said that, I also auditioned Bose speakers before deciding for the MM-1, and the latter sounds to me much more natural and efortless. You seem to be quite set on Bose, but I found their sound kind of "prefabricated", and I believe their housing colours their sound much.

I think the first thing you need to determine is how you want to connect the speakers to your computer, since it will strongly condition your decision. If you don't need a digital interface, I'd suggest you take a look at some professional audio options. I have been recommended these Prodipe speakers before, but I'm afraid I haven't yet had the opportunity to listen to them myself. They are two-way, concentric, magnetically shielded, designed for near-field listening, and can be placed firing up, which may actually be very important depending on where you are going to place them. You could even get their bigger brothers for slightly more than your budget, if you have the necessary desktop space.

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
To Opo,

I for once own a pair of the Bose companion 20. The sound performance was as follows:

The Highs were present but perhaps could do more with some finesse.

The midrange; vocals were clear uncoloured by bass given there is only on driver. However ive hear more emotion in vocals on other system such as MA ideck 200.

Finally the Bass; was in great quantity, but it was a bit loose and lack detail and somehow unnatural. The presence of the low frequency was so overpowering that it ruined my listening experience. Bass head might like it as I’ve not heard speaker that play so loud in ratio to the cabinet size.

Hence in conclusion the sound was not as balance. It’s worth noting that i ended selling it in the quest to achieve somehow hifi quality for a desktop setting.

(The above statement are based on my own opinion so its subjective and so take it with a pinch of salt.)

Fred

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Could try these, footprint of 4" x 5" (similar to a CD case), grey, not silver, but usually get good reviews.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_fostex_pm04d_grey.htm

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As always you have to balance performance, funcionality and style.

Performance wise the Fostex mentioned above or even the cheaper Studiospares Seiwin active monitors will outperform anything else mentioned in this thread.

Basic functionality and prosaic looks, though I quite like the SN4s looks wise.

248050_m.jpg

Disclaimer.

I am currently listening to 'The Randy Rodgers Band' on a pair. Bit of Texas country for the middle of the day....... :rockout:

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow, plenty to read there - thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I'm starting to stray from my initial firm stance with the Bose Companion 20s. I haven't heard them yet but I am reasonably convinced by some of the regular posters in here to look elsewhere. I understand that Bose are something of a 'form over function' brand with high markups, but I was willing to set those caveats aside for good sound quality from a small speaker set under £200.

I'm going to start looking further afield though, starting with some of the suggestions made here. I'm not so sure about some of these 'studio monitor' suggestions, though. The very name 'studio monitors' puts me off as that's not the kind of sound I'm after. I'm not a connoseiur of audio, I don't need a 'flat' frequency response. True, I would rather have something a bit more 'coloured' if it made listening more fun.

I suppose the new focus of this thread is "What are the best desktop-sized active speakers I can get for under £200?"

The ideal speakers would be no wider than 160mm (6.3 inches) and have an enjoyable frequency response with good bass for their size.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
They're at the my limit in terms of size, but what about the Epoz Aktimate Micro speakers? They won an award from WHF? last year in the Desktop Speakers category. What do people think about them?

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
Wow, plenty to read there - thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I'm starting to stray from my initial firm stance with the Bose Companion 20s. I haven't heard them yet but I am reasonably convinced by some of the regular posters in here to look elsewhere. I understand that Bose are something of a 'form over function' brand with high markups, but I was willing to set those caveats aside for good sound quality from a small speaker set under £200.

I'm going to start looking further afield though, starting with some of the suggestions made here. I'm not so sure about some of these 'studio monitor' suggestions, though. The very name 'studio monitors' puts me off as that's not the kind of sound I'm after. I'm not a connoseiur of audio, I don't need a 'flat' frequency response. True, I would rather have something a bit more 'coloured' if it made listening more fun.

I suppose the new focus of this thread is "What are the best desktop-sized active speakers I can get for under £200?"

The ideal speakers would be no wider than 160mm (6.3 inches) and have an enjoyable frequency response with good bass for their size.

I'd urge you to go and listen to some monitors before discount them.

You probably have thoughts that they're dry sounding and devoid of life, but if you have a music store near you it'll be worth the trip.

Just keep in mind that you have a budget and stick to the size you are looking at. As soon as you start listening to larger and pricier monitors, it'll make it harder to look at the smaller units... That's what happened to me

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
They're at the my limit in terms of size, but what about the Epoz Aktimate Micro speakers? They won an award from WHF? last year in the Desktop Speakers category. What do people think about them?

Firstly your assumptions about the way 'studio' speakers sound is way wide of the mark, the idea that they somehow do not sound 'nice' is an odd one, though they do sound different to most hi-fi speakers.

The big difference is that they do not sound 'warm', tight and punchy is closer to the mark. Get used to this and the clarity that is common in active designs and hi-fi speaker begin to sound 'boomy' and muddled in comparison. Some people see this the other way round, a lot depends on what you are used to and what you expect.

A decent powered option would be the Audioengine A2, now in 'plus' version. Not heard the revised model but the original was rather good if you like that sort of thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts