Keep speakers or change them ( from 2.1 to 3.1 ).

First of all, hi to all. This is my first post here, but i've been reading for some while but only now i have a really tricky situation and i need your opinions and your experiences to help me thinking more clearly about this.

So i just bought a new house and i'm assembling furniture and stuff. The thing is about my HT setup. It's a mixed HT and Hifi setup where i have 2 Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 floorstands, an Wharfedale SX-15 Sub and the AV is a humble Sony STR-DH550.

I'm adding a center channel to this setup but i'm in a situation where i don't know what to do. Basically i can't find any Diamond 10 center channels and i really wanted to add something that was from the same build/year/model so i know, at least, they add the same development process at that time.

I went to the store and what i found is that now i can only get the Diamond 220C center channel and the guy told me ( of course he did... he's a seller ) that this would mix best with a pair of Diamond 220 bookshelfs; this comment along some issues i'm having with placing the 10.6's made me think ...

What do you guys thing, chaging from Diamonds 10.6 to Diamonds 220 ... will the different be a big big difference ( since i'm already running a sub / and i can't use any speaker stands, so they will be places on the top of a tv console/furniture ) ?

Or should i just keep the floorstands? I'm having an hard time finding arguments to spend money on bookshelfs having the floorstands, but at the same time it would solve the other placing issue i have.

( Note: i'm adding a center chanel because the speakers will be placed somewhat distante from the tv, like at each end of the room )

Thank you all.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I'd keep the floorstanders and add the centre. The 220s won't be an improvement, so why spend anything else?

If you have to do it for layout reasons, OK, but I'd ask for a home demo of the 220s and 220c from the dealer if you can swing it. I suspect you may find the 220s lacking.

I've used different "generations" of surround speakers in the past successfully, but I'd always recommend comparing speakers before purchase.

jmjones said:
I'd keep the floorstanders and add the centre. The 220s won't be an improvement, so why spend anything else?

If you have to do it for layout reasons, OK, but I'd ask for a home demo of the 220s and 220c from the dealer if you can swing it. I suspect you may find the 220s lacking.

I've used different "generations" of surround speakers in the past successfully, but I'd always recommend comparing speakers before purchase.

Thanks for the reply. In the end, there were lots of changes i did, mainly because my brothers wanted some speakers too so i pulled the plug on a promotion for the Wharfedale 240's ( 3 ways ) and the 220C center speaker. The 10.6's are going to his house. Lets see.

I had the chance to test the 220's and you're right, they were lacking. After we have floorstands anything smaller just feels "empty" in terms of sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts