In anticipation of my new Fyne Audio F302

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Wow a Youtube unboxing slideshow :) They look smashing, hope they sound as good as they look. C'mon what do they sound like!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: insider9

insider9

Couple overall notes. They came packaged very well. Things like a note on the box which way to open is a fyne touch. I really like the little plinth you get to attach to them. Grilles are magnetic and best part they only cover the driver and not the tweeter.

I'm not a fan of easing things in and expect a lot from first listen. After setting the volume to my usual, guess most would say loud, medium to me. I put on Jeff Buckley "Grace" title track. First impression was of something lacking. But I stayed in my seat. Half way through the track I realised I left the grilles on. They quickly came off. They won't be going back on.

Listening for the first time was as impressive as disappointing. There was a midrange clarity I enjoyed. No colouration and lovely detail but the extremes of spectrum weren't right. Treble was not exactly bright but felt a tad exaggerated. Bass was so incredibly soft that I felt I can't continue listening. Track from Gregory Porter followed and I gave up. Left them playing for the next 3 hours at the same volume before coming back. At that point I was dreading what I'm going to write.

3 hours later professional assessment was done using Tullamore Dew (Irish) and things were much better but it wasn't until I reached for Johnnie Walker Green (Scotch) that things started clicking into place. At that point I went to my local to listen to some live music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears and sonic1

insider9

I don't blame you for not recognising them. Almost no info about them online. Unless you have a friend who lived in States around the time they were released 30 years ago.

They are Genexxa GX-600 very interesting story behind them. Canadian manufacturer who built speakers for American Audio Shack, let's say Currys/Maplin UK equivalent. One day they decided to release a hifi/audiophile speakers to raise company profile. Had them designed and made in Japan that's how they came about. Only seen one more pair in the UK.

Only bought them as I like quirky stuff. Didn't realise they would be any good, then I heard them and was amazed.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't blame you for not recognising them. Almost no info about them online. Unless you have a friend who lived in States around the time they were released 30 years ago.

They are Genexxa GX-600 very interesting story behind them. Canadian manufacturer who built speakers for American Audio Shack, let's say Currys/Maplin UK equivalent. One day they decided to release a hifi/audiophile speakers to raise company profile. Had them designed and made in Japan that's how they came about. Only seen one more pair in the UK.

Only bought them as I like quirky stuff. Didn't realise they would be any good, then I heard them and was amazed.

Vaguely aware of the brand name, I really like their looks and whats not to like on obscurity plus quirks

Reactions: insider9
D

Deleted member 108165

Have you reached a final verdict on your Fyne's yet Insider?

insider9

No, I'm afraid not. I've had wonderful 3 days since I picked them up. Been to 2 live gigs and not been anywhere near coherent enough to pass judgement. I've not got much to criticize but that's because everything sounds better after you've had a few. Working from home tomorrow so should have more to say.

tbrobison

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
No, I'm afraid not. I've had wonderful 3 days since I picked them up. Been to 2 live gigs and not been anywhere near coherent enough to pass judgement. I've not got much to criticize but that's because everything sounds better after you've had a few. Working from home tomorrow so should have more to say.

Curious as to whether you still have the F302's? I just picked up pair a month ago. Don't have the greatest room treatments, but they sound very good running from a Bluesound Powernode.
What was your final verdict?

Thanks in advance,
tb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts