Improving my current setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Bought my new setup recently, looking at options to upgrade the cables.

Roksan Kandy K2 to C NAD 545 BEE currently using Interconnect Taralabs Prism 200a

Roksan Kandy K2 to Dali Ikon 6 currently using Straightwire Musicable Biwiring

I found that to my ears Dali Ikon 6 at times sounds abit on the bright side, i heard from my dealer that using silver plated cables will sound even brighter. True?

What interconnect and speakers cables should i go for?

Another question on bi-amping,

I'm looking at upgrading my setup in near future, dealer recommended me to bi amp using exposure 2010S power amp. I have no experience and know nothing about bi amping. can someone enlight me on this? What does it helps?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I just don't see anything that could be significantly improved in your system.

I'm a little curious as to why you would want to upgrade when you've only recently purchased the system.

You are not in the UK, I assume?

A couple of things:

I don't know how anybody could recommend the Exposure power amp for biamping in this setup. I don't even know if this is technically possible. Use the Kandy 2 power amplifier if you must, but the Dali's are already efficient, I don't see the need for so much power.

Although your cables are more than adequate, if you really want to tone down the brightness, try Transparent Audio speaker cable. These will diminish the highs very similar to the way Van den Hul cables do and add bass quite a bit which the Dali's do lack. Definitely stay away from silver plated cables.

A

Anonymous

if you have only just purchased the system then my advise would be to let it settle in for a month or two before making any changes, you may find the brightness tone down on its own once its run in.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Rothwell attenuators might be worth a look.

I found that when I installed mine, the sound became more detailed and smoother, but the trade off was a slight drop in top end. Sounds like just what you're after and they're cheap too.

A

Anonymous

I'm located in Singapore.

Glad to hear advise from you as i'm new to more expensive hifi as compared to the past.

I will try to find the cables you recommend as dealers here don't bring in all brands

Thanks

A

Anonymous

before buying cables, try moving your speakers closer to or further away from the back wall

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:

Although your cables are more than adequate, if you really want to tone down the brightness, try Transparent Audio speaker cable. These will diminish the highs very similar to the way Van den Hul cables do and add bass quite a bit which the Dali's do lack. Definitely stay away from silver plated cables.

What you actually meant is that the quality of the cables i'm using are "overkill" for my system?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
dennisk:batonwielder:

What you actually meant is that the quality of the cables i'm using are "overkill" for my system?

No, I meant that there's no need to spend any more money on cables, especially when you are not really happy with the sound of your system.

Have you found a solution to the problem, by the way?

A

Anonymous

After running-in for about 60 hours, the sound is quite different from what i heard when i just bought it. It sounded more tonally balanced, not as bright as before, better bass. I'm quite happy with the way it sound currently, but i curious whether will it sound better if i use "better" cables. Sometimes i have this question in mind, whether is my cable that i'm using good enough, as i have some budget to spend on cables.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
dennisk:
After running-in for about 60 hours, the sound is quite different from what i heard when i just bought it. It sounded more tonally balanced, not as bright as before, better bass. I'm quite happy with the way it sound currently, but i curious whether will it sound better if i use "better" cables. Sometimes i have this question in mind, whether is my cable that i'm using good enough, as i have some budget to spend on cables.

I'm glad the sound is more to your liking.

Your cables are good enough, but you can find better synergistic match to bring out the best in your system.

As I had mentioned earlier, Transparent Cable will give you smoother top with more bass extension and weight which might be missing with current cabling. Supra is another brand that will give you fuller sound and control. Try with speaker cables first, and if you like them, you can purchase the interconnects to match.

A

Anonymous

i will be using bi wiring, based on the transparent cable website, i can't find any for biwiring. For supra, it's tin plated, will the sound be too bright ?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
dennisk:i will be using bi wiring, based on the transparent cable website, i can't find any for biwiring. For supra, it's tin plated, will the sound be too bright ?

Hmmm. Maybe you should contact them and ask if they offer biwiring. From my experience, however, it's better to use single cable and replace the links with jumpers.

Supra cables are definitely not bright. Full and neutral comes to mind.

TRENDING THREADS