I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Another strang phenomenon . . . 'I believe the world is round' . . . :? They could not prove that either untill some sailed around, to demonstrate 'the fact'.

:rofl:

So, have you tried the link I posted, were your ears fooled?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Day to day yes it happens, especialy the time of day, but the same track twice . . . nah . . . I would say you are pushing te boundaries of credibuility!

CJSF

But the time of day will be different if you listen to it one after the other, so you've just disagreed with yourself :?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Another strang phenomenon . . . 'I believe the world is round' . . . :? They could not prove that either untill some sailed around, to demonstrate 'the fact'.

I have personally posted this link in response to you saying this before, so now I know you are being deliberately obtuse.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

If that was the best you could come up with you really are admitting defeat.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
chebby said:
I've listened to cables one way and then another, and the sound is different. Heaven knows why, but that's what I hear. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes quite subtle. It's best done on a system and a piece of music that is very familiar.

that's genius :rofl:

Listen to any track on the same equipment and it will sound different on different days. Heck, listen to the same track twice in row amd you'll able to hear something different if you listen hard enough and actively listen for changes.

Yoiu have just quoted Naim not me. Read my original post again and don't put words into my mouth that originally came from Richard Dane of Naim...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/i-need-longer-speaker-cable-budget-%C2%A35-pm-max?page=4 (post #9)

It is bad etiquette to manipulate things to look as if the forum member actually wrote something that he quoted from a third party. (I provided italics and speech marks and an explanation of who the quote was from.)

It's lazy - and confusing - at best, and manipulative at worst.

For the record, I do not believe in cable 'directionality' and my posts in this thread so far should have told you that.

I don't know why you have done this (mistake, carelessness or a deliberate intent to make me look like a believer in this nonsense) but I wish you hadn't.

Hopefully a mod will clean up (but they shouldn't have to.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CJSF said:

I have personally posted this link in response to you saying this before, so now I know you are being deliberately obtuse.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

If that was the best you could come up with you really are admitting defeat.

Yep I remember, I think you are splitting hairs . . . 'obtuse'? . . . 'it was a belief of the time', I queston who is being obtuse here?:

I'm happy in my knowledge that is 'practical experiance', I can hear changes in the directionality of cable, some cables are subtle, some are blindingly obvious . . . There are two of us that can hear it , I take my hat off to 'Roy at Naim'.

CJSF

. . . ? PS is there a law that says the same referance cant be used more than once?. . . after all, it is relevant amoung 'flat Earthers'.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
'it was a belief of the time',

I really should avoid getting drawn in to the insanity, but no, it wasn't. You didn't bother reading the link, did you? Just like you didn't last time. Just like you didn't follow the link on this thread to audio tests that can fool the brain.

PS is there a law that says the same referance cant be used more than once?

There's no law, you can say things which aren't true (the flat earth myth) over and over and over again if you like.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
But the time of day will be different if you listen to it one after the other, so you've just disagreed with yourself :?

Cheeseboy, I'll remind you of your actual coment:

Quote Cheeseboy: "Heck, listen to the same track twice in row amd you'll able to hear something different if you listen hard enough and actively listen for changes."

Which is what I was refering to.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CJSF said:
'it was a belief of the time',

I really should avoid getting drawn in to the insanity, but no, it wasn't. You didn't bother reading the link, did you? Just like you didn't last time. Just like you didn't follow the link on this thread to audio tests that can fool the brain.

Mmm? . . . Quote from Wikapidia: "with extraordinary [sic] few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat",

Indicating there was a 'flat earth belief befor the third certurary BC' . . . my use of 'flat earth' indicates a state of mind, 'not accepting the truth', the Wikapadia entry rather emphasises this . . . :? As one say, you are splitting hairs, the truth is, 'cable directionality exists' . . .

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Yep I remember, I think you are splitting hairs . . . 'obtuse'? . . . 'it was a belief of the time', I queston who is being obtuse here?:

Pytheus (an ancient Greek mariner) navigated using calculations based on the fact that the Earth is round (as ancient navigators and mathematicians and astronomers all knew by then, including Romans and Babylonians and Egyptians and Chinese).

The Vikings navigated on the basis that the earth is round when they founded settlements in Greenland and when they travelled all the way to Rome - and other mediterranean destinations - to trade slaves and other commodities.

Why do you persist in peddling this 'flat earth' myth?

Watch this documentary and then tell me they thought the world was flat...

"The Two Thousand Year Old Computer"

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

Pytheus (an ancient Greek mariner) navigated using calculations based on the fact that the Earth is round (as ancient navigators and mathematicians and astronomers all knew by then, including Romans and Babylonians and Egyptians and Chinese).

The Vikings navigated on the basis that the earth is round when they founded settlements in Greenland and when they travelled all the way to Rome - and other mediterranean destinations - to trade slaves and other commodities.

Why do you persist in peddling this 'flat earth' myth?

Watch this documentary and then tell me they thought the world was flat...

"The Two Thousand Year Old Computer"

Chebby see my previous post, no myth pre third century BC, and I am indicating a state of mind or thinking . . .

Why do you get so precious over something that 'is fact' all be it minor, in your eyes. Flat earth and cable dirctinality are facts, to you not criticaly important obviously.

Comming back to the original post, new cable, £5 budget, befor hiding it away behind furniture, be sure to keep positive reel ends together and try the end over end listening test, if you cant hear any differance fair enough, but if there is a differance, you have maximise your listenig pleasure at no extra cost, simples!!!

Now shall we go into the thesaurus meaning of the word being 'obtuse' indicated by BenLaw . . . perhaps better on a new thread . . . :wall: ?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Indicating there was a 'flat earth belief befor the third certurary BC'

I thought you said they believed the Earth was flat until they circumnavigated it...

CJSF said:
They could not prove that either untill some sailed around, to demonstrate 'the fact'.

.. the first circumnavigation of the Earth was recorded early in the 16th century.

Still, what does an 1800 year inconsistency in an argument matter?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

I thought you said they believed the Earth was flat until they circumnavigated it...

CJSF said:
They could not prove that either untill some sailed around, to demonstrate 'the fact'.

.. the first circumnavigation of the Earth was recorded early in the 16th century.

Still, what does an 1800 year inconsistency in an argument matter?

Yes, argument over nothing to do with hifi or the subject matter of the thread . . . you ought to know better :read:

I did not start the knit-picking, one simply sugested a way to get a little more out of the hifi/cable at no extra cost.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I suppose my education/background/occupation was (is) mathematical, scientific, IT related and, because of this, I have a threshold of how much 'mysticism' I can accept when it comes to things like insulated copper cable.

I have owned (and enjoyed) a Naim system and - as I said earlier regarding the pre-terminated 'directional' NACA5 cables made up for me - had to swallow a certain amount of 'hooey' from the dealer and other Naim users regarding the 'daft' end of their overall philosophy.

Naim's thoroughness (and evident passion) for every minute detail - whether credible to me or not - spills out into component selection and matching and quality of build and pickiness about suppliers and customer service and many areas that result in some great products.

On balance it's probably better to own equipment made by fanatics (even if some of the fanaticism seems to border on lunacy) than by a company who don't give a ####.

You are then 'covered' in the aspects that actually make a difference as well as the ones that don't.

I believe it doesn't make a jot of difference whether speaker cable alignment follows the dictates of arrows printed according to the results of 'Roy's' listening tests or not. The important thing is that they care about the tiny details enough to have Roy doing his 'cable sexing' thing. It tells me that the stuff that really matters won't get missed either.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I believe it doesn't make a jot of difference whether speaker cable alignment follows the dictates of arrows printed according to the results of 'Roy's' listening tests or not. The important thing is that they care about the tiny details enough to have Roy doing his 'cable sexing' thing. It tells me that the stuff that really matters won't get missed either.

There you go Chebby, we agree, 'it dont make a jot of differance' . . . 'care about the tiny detail' . . and this is how I see hifi, in my previous life, I changed thinking, these days it is not so important, but like you, my history is detail, the differance, it was and is hifi. I pass on experiance for whats its worth, it aint life or death, in the end its about enjoying music. Lets be fair thats what these threads are about, getting the best, enjoument of music.

Regards, CJSF :cheers:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

CJSF said:

We are into splitting hairs again . . . so I did not quite get the timings right, as I said, which you know!!!! you are bing 'obtuse' Chebby. I was indicating a 'state of mind' . . . Greart word that, 'obtuse' . . . the connotations are superb :rofl:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
womble72 said:
So, seven pages in and have we agreed on which cable I should go for? :-D

I recon the clue is Maplins round the corner . . . ? 'Linn K20' is a 79 strand type with a centeral 5mm web which makes it bulky'ish. I found it dificult to souce at local hifi shops, they wanted to sell me expensive cable, there can be a lot of profit in cable from what I understand! So I found it on eBay, new, any length you like. Maplin will have the verious cables mentioned on here in the earlier posts.

I appologise for the furoar my well meaning sugestion created, that was not the intention. It might just get you a tad more from the cable at no extra cost?

If you do try the end over end, dont forget to keep the flow right, I personaly would be interested to her about your findings and what cable you went for.

CJSF

mls

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This thread reminded me of my old physics teacher of about thirty ears ago. He was a hifi fan who had a quad system and electrostatic speakers. He taught us that the speakers were fed essentially by an alternating current moving the electrons back and forth in the speaker coil ( like two men pulling a tree saw back and forth). He advocated occasionally connecting a 1.5v dc cell to the cable to push the electrons round the circuit and put some "fresh" ones into the speakers (I guess not actually coils in the case of his electrostatics!). I think he was suggesting it as a joke though! M.

shadders

mls said:
This thread reminded me of my old physics teacher of about thirty ears ago. He was a hifi fan who had a quad system and electrostatic speakers. He taught us that the speakers were fed essentially by an alternating current moving the electrons back and forth in the speaker coil ( like two men pulling a tree saw back and forth). He advocated occasionally connecting a 1.5v dc cell to the cable to push the electrons round the circuit and put some "fresh" ones into the speakers (I guess not actually coils in the case of his electrostatics!). I think he was suggesting it as a joke though! M.

Hmmmm,

This reminds me when i used to work at a mechnical garage before starting proper work, i used to get asked to go to car spares and get some beams for the headlamps, and sparks for the spark plugs.

Regards,

Shadders.

T

the record spot

CJSF said:
...the truth is, 'cable directionality exists' . . .

CJSF

One man's fact is another man's opinion. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your cable swapping fun and games CJ, but stating this as a universal truth is a stretch too far for me.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
CJSF said:
...the truth is, 'cable directionality exists' . . .

CJSF

One man's fact is another man's opinion. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your cable swapping fun and games CJ, but stating this as a universal truth is a stretch too far for me.

:? . . . I draw your attention to the full statement TRS:

CJSF Quote:-

"Mmm? . . . Quote from Wikapidia: "with extraordinary [sic] few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat",

Indicating there was a 'flat earth belief befor the third certurary BC' . . . my use of 'flat earth' indicates a state of mind, 'not accepting the truth', the Wikapadia entry rather emphasises this . . .
confused.gif
As one say, you are splitting hairs, the truth is, 'cable directionality exists' . . .".

Read the quote in full . . . indicates a state of mind for both sides of the argument . . . I've heard it, that is the 'fact' I refer to, one also has veriouse friends and collegues over the years, who have heard the simple 'end over end test'. The decenters, generaly do not seem to have tried it, relying on theory, that is unproved 'speculation' . . . ? Some do seem to have vaugly tried it in passing and may be, one or two have been spacific and not heard any change? Draw your conclusions, we are all entitled to our view. To move things on a little; its how that view is arived at seems to be an important point, 'fact or fiction', is truth stranger than fiction?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts