I like crystal clear, detail and tight bass....... speakers £300?

A

Anonymous

To be used with what amp and source in what sort of room? Floorstanders, stand mounts? Do you value midrange or bass more?

A

Anonymous

cheers dude,,,,,,,

Denon PMA 250ii,,,,,,,,QED Evolution......midrange more............either floor or stand mount.............chord dac and marantz cd48 as source room: 3m by 4m

lovin your work

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd say go for a lean sounding speaker, as most speakers try and produce lots of bass and end up sounding muddy or smear detail. I'd say your best bet is the Rega RS1. How they perform though will be partly down to how well your amp gets on with them. Audition if you can.

You could also try KEF's iQ10's, or the previous iQ1's too.

A

Anonymous

Never heard your amp I'm afraid but I would consider trying Monitor Audio RS1s. It might be easier to try the newer RX1s as they're readily available to audition. The RS1s are sensitive, so will work well with 30W, open and pack a punch.

If you prefer a more detailed and controlled sound then consider the AVI Neutrons. I'm not sure you'll be able to audition these though.

The winner for me (in principle because I've never heard your amp!) is the Rega RS1. These are detailed, controlled, smooth and have excellent midrange. They may not suit the tonal balance of the amp and they may not suit your taste in terms of bass delivery. Well worth a try though. Oh, and they're £400.

A

Anonymous

thanks both of you for your considered opinions I shall check out your suggestions!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

http://www.sightandsounduk.com/catalogue/p7746/101_29/Floor%20Speakers/Aegis%20Neo%203.aspx?aid=800813

These are truly superb speakers, giving you excellent detail, very tight but deep bass, excellent midrange, and avoiding any harshness. Site these about 12 inches from the back wall and you will hear them at their best and of course, under 300.00 to.

A

Anonymous

These MA RS5s might be worth a punt at the price. A lot of speaker for the money. Of course, auditioning is the best way to buy.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
AVI neutron v or iv (if you can get them second hand) what you have described you want is pritty much exactly how I would have described them. the v is £400 but you may pick up a pair on fleabay for £300. I preferred them to the Epos M5i and the MA RS1. My room is also the exact dimentions as yours and they fill that with ease.

A

Anonymous

Fancy doing some DIY?

No, seriously, you can get hold of some drivers from the recent http://whathifi.com/Review/Arcaydis-DM1/ for £15. The next woofers up were used in £600 floorstanders (Arcaydis AK3), costing £20 each. You can see where I'm going here.

If you wish, you can clone my speakers, which cost me £150, but will happily destroy £1000 worth of NAD and MS electronics and speakers.

I used the woofers from those £600 floorstanders, 2 per side, with a full range driver per side.

Full-range drivers mean there's no crossover in the middle of the vocal band (common pitfall of most 2-way designs).

I used a tall, slim design, but this could be shortened to 2 foot high, 12" across, and 16" deep.

Let me know

Chris

A

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rega-rs1-speakers-piano-black_W0QQitemZ260549325001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item3ca9f330c9

A

Anonymous

HiFiAddict:
Fancy doing some DIY?

No, seriously, you can get hold of some drivers from the recent http://whathifi.com/Review/Arcaydis-DM1/ for £15. The next woofers up were used in £600 floorstanders (Arcaydis AK3), costing £20 each. You can see where I'm going here.

If you wish, you can clone my speakers, which cost me £150, but will happily destroy £1000 worth of NAD and MS electronics and speakers.

I used the woofers from those £600 floorstanders, 2 per side, with a full range driver per side.

Full-range drivers mean there's no crossover in the middle of the vocal band (common pitfall of most 2-way designs).

I used a tall, slim design, but this could be shortened to 2 foot high, 12" across, and 16" deep.

Let me know

Chris

sounds interesting do you have pics/more info?

A

Anonymous

I have pictures located in the systems section of the forum.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/379111.aspx

Note - they're yet to be finished, and the dimensions can be altered, provided the internal volume is kept the same.

They're 4' high, 6" across, 16" deep, using side-mounted woofers.

The £150 is for everything except finishing, and some vinyl wrap shouldn't cost too much.

There's more info on the link

Chris

T

the record spot

The Denon is an early 1990s model, decent little amp and around 25-30 wpc I think? Look out for a speaker with a decent sensitivity as they will be easier to drive (so 88db or higher). Q Acoustics 1030i will do a nice job, front ported and I think they're around 90db (I know the 1050i is 92db but not sure with the smaller model). £140 in Richer Sounds and Superfi.

Arcaydis DM1 is worth a shout at £275 as is the Q Acoustics 2020 speaker at £140.

matthewpiano

The 1030i is a great speaker, especially at the price, but 'tight bass' is not a description I would give it. It isn't exactly boomy either, just not as rhythmic as standmounters. The other thing I've noticed from switching back to the Diamond 9.1s is how much better the stereo imaging is on the smaller speakers. Its decent enough on the 1030i, but the Diamonds are astounding in this area. I'm not sure the 1030i is ideal for the OP.

The 2020 stand mounters are a good suggestion though. Q are making some great kit and their product is well worth exploring.

A

Anonymous

thanks to everyone for suggestions,

I will do some auditioning where possible.

cheers.......D

matthewpiano

GForce1:Dali Ikon 1 £399

Very good call. Had a pair here for a day a few months ago. Beautiful sound, just a touch light in the bass, but could be exactly what the OP is looking for. The imaging is holographic and the top end the best I have heard from any 'budget' speaker.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:GForce1:Dali Ikon 1 £399

Very good call. Had a pair here for a day a few months ago. Beautiful sound, just a touch light in the bass, but could be exactly what the OP is looking for. The imaging is holographic and the top end the best I have heard from any 'budget' speaker.
...but need to be matched with caution to avoid an overly bright top end. If you can't demo with your amp, don't bother.

T

the record spot

Oh, one other option; AVI Neutrons, consistently brilliant little speaker over the years.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Oh, one other option; AVI Neutrons, consistently brilliant little speaker over the years.
...and back round to the start of the post...
emotion-5.gif

These are great speakers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts