I am going to have a little try of valves ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
chebby said:
I can only find 'Croft Acoustics' and not 'Craft Acoustics' when searching. No idea who they are are or where they are made.

Any ideas?

It's possibly a misprint. If you look close enough at the photo it could very well read Croft Acoustics.

However I cannot find a Croft Acoustics amp that looks like this one. It may be a Chinese clone but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You could phone and ask the chappy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It looks well made and over specified. Those transformers are of decent size and all seems neatly assembled.

I am Bournemouth based so it's tempting but the the thought of schlepping around a 25kg slab of metal is slightly off-putting. - I am trying to keep things small ... still ... .

drummerman said:
It looks well made and over specified. Those transformers are of decent size and all seems neatly assembled.

I am Bournemouth based so it's tempting but the the thought of schlepping around a 25kg slab of metal is slightly off-putting. - I am trying to keep things small ... still ... .

I'm afraid valve amps, with decent transformers rarely come 'small'. There are a few exceptions though if 'small' is relative.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

I'm afraid valve amps, with decent transformers rarely come 'small'. There are a few exceptions though if 'small' is relative.

Indeed. I wouldn't mind the new Quad valve amplifier and a pair of baby Harbeths for a lovely small form factor system.

I very rarely turn volume up so that'll probably do me nicely.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just called him. Seems a very decent chap.

He doesn't know the origins but he is happy to demonstrate so I'm sure the product is good.

Quite a lot of valve watts for the money.

drummerman said:
I just called him. Seems a very decent chap.

He doesn't know the origins but he is happy to demonstrate so I'm sure the product is good.

Quite a lot of valve watts for the money.

Quite right. Sounds pretty well put together at that weight and the valves themselves are cheap. Bit of a bargain I'd say looking at the prices some people want for other amps.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

Indeed. I wouldn't mind the new Quad valve amplifier and a pair of baby Harbeths for a lovely small form factor system.

I very rarely turn volume up so that'll probably do me nicely.

Nice... I'd dearly love to hear that Quad VA-1 sometime

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
So what's 'appening?

Do we get an update?

Not from me, although I might have bought it by now if I lived anywhere near Bournemouth  ;-)

I admit it's tempting.

The industrial look and difficulty in establishing a maker would perhaps make it difficult selling on?

Perhaps I should go and have a listen ... .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
So what's 'appening?

Do we get an update?

Not from me, although I might have bought it by now if I lived anywhere near Bournemouth ;-)

I admit it's tempting.

The industrial look and difficulty in establishing a maker would perhaps make it difficult selling on?

Go for it.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
So what's 'appening?

Do we get an update?

Not from me, although I might have bought it by now if I lived anywhere near Bournemouth ;-)

I admit it's tempting.

You should, you should. Then haggle... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts