I am a believer..........power chord upgrades, however?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Lets start with the confession "I am a believer in power chord upgrades, as I am with interconnects, HDMI leads and speaker cable", now that is off my chest here is the dilemma

If we apply the maxim that not all things are equal, neither is expensive necessarily "better" to the A/V power chord industry then where do I go with the following;

The Amp and TV warrant a £100 plus spend, what of the Sky+ HD box and dvd player (soon to be an S760), then there is the Storm lll, is that another £100 plus spend?

Quite happy to invest in 5 mains cables, burt which ones, difficult to audition subjectively unless there is a kind retailer with three or four brands in stock and also willing to assist,

Should it be Clearer Audio Copper Line (maybe the Alpha), Chord Power Chord or Super Screen, what of the RA/Kimber stable, worth looking at?

Is there a product from any one (or two) manufactures that will meet the £1000 plus spend on TV, Amp and Sub, and then meet what is needed for the Sky box and dvd (BluRay) player, or is this too simplistic in approach?

Help appreciated

A

Anonymous

Hate to say it but you have just missed out on the RA january sale!

Anyway, after that helpful comment i would say you cant go too far wrong with all of those really. They all add / bring something to the party. There have been threads comparing different types and i think its safe to say that the more you spend, the more improvements can be heard / seen. One member compared the copperline alpha with the superscreen and said the difference was worth it, but then tried the powerchord and was also very impressed with the improvements over the superscreen. I can certainly vouch that the powerchord is a great cable. Im currently burning in a DCT treated powerkord classic and i think its going to be better again than the powerchord once its burnt in / settled down. This is again more expensive than the powerchord. Put simply, i would go as far as your budget will allow.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
In my opinion, when it comes to receivers and source components (CDP, Blu ray player etc), the more you can spend the better the performance you will achieve.

I have tried the Clearer Audio Alpha (£35) cable, Chord superscreen (£60), and Chord Powerchord (RRP £120, but currently on offer at £59 online) mains cables.........

I can safely say that the Chord powerchord's (RRP £120) are superior to either of the other two when added to my receiver, CDP, Blu Ray player and dvd recorder, which is why I have now got 4 of them.......

The Superscreen is attached to my tv and alpha onto my sub..........for now.

Hope that helps a bit.......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Great mind Gander (we meet again)...........

Was that member you mentioned, me by any chance?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

It was mate, I think it might have been that thread that got me onto upgrading my cables!

Fayanddavid, if you can get the powerchord for 60 notes it must be worth considering going for a bunch of those!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry about that Gander........but i love spending other people's money!!!
emotion-14.gif

Hope you are achieving all the benefits I'm getting with the cable upgrading recently.......

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Gander:

It was mate, I think it might have been that thread that got me onto upgrading my cables!

Fayanddavid, if you can get the powerchord for 60 notes it must be worth considering going for a bunch of those!

Gander, absolutely right on the money.

Pistol Pete, on line where, Hi Fi Cables or............

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Yeah its all good mate. Final cable arrives this week hopefully. DCT classic for my plasma
emotion-15.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
That would be telling fayeanddavid........
emotion-5.gif

I'll give you a clue though.........an online shop based in Coventry........I have used them a lot, and the service is 'spot on', and delivery times are excellent....everytime.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi i had my own topic on this and still undecided, but from what you guys have said which is best to go for out of the two Chord cables given that Hifix have the power Chord reduced and the Silverscreen fot 5 stars.And i want to know if this is fine for my PS3 and tv, can't use one on my Onkyo 606 has it has a fixed cable.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Im my experience i wouldnt "now" put no less than a 16 core braided powerkord to your amps, i used to use a Classic powerkord (8 core) on my amp with great results however, i then changed that to a RA Reference powerkord (also DCT treated) last year & the results were far superior than that of the classic, as RAs quotes its best to use 16 core for amps as they need to draw more current & use classics with your components i.e CDP, bluray etc

Out of curiosity i put the Reference to my Bluray player & i personally couldnt tell any differences tbh then i tried it with my plasma & yet again i couldnt see any differences to warrant permanently using the Reference with either both my bluray player or plasma.

So IME id say the same as RAs & thats Classics to components & Reference (or signature if you can afford it) to your amps!!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:Im my experience i wouldnt "now" put no less than a 16 core braided powerkord to your amps, i used to use a Classic powerkord (8 core) on my amp with great results however, i then changed that to a RA Reference powerkord (also DCT treated) last year & the results were far superior than that of the classic, as RAs quotes its best to use 16 core for amps as they need to draw more current & use classics with your components i.e CDP, bluray etc

Out of curiosity i put the Reference to my Bluray player & i personally couldnt tell any differences tbh then i tried it with my plasma & yet again i couldnt see any differences to warrant permanently using the Reference with either both my bluray player or plasma.

So IME id say the same as RAs & thats Classics to components & Reference (or signature if you can afford it) to your amps!!

Have you binned the TM3 cable Jase?

As for what you said there, my PS3 (On blu ray duties), Pioneer dvd player and Pioneer tv all took a few weeks before I could really tell a difference

My theory is the equipment itself 'acclimitises' to the new cables over a period of time and so a 'quick switch' wouldnt show up any changes

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
At the risk of repeating myself (what on this forum?) I think anyone contemplating spending £200 or more on mains cables should get an eye check first to make sure their eyes are giving their brain the best possible signal.

Otherwise a complete waste of time/money

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

My theory is the equipment itself 'acclimitises' to the new cables over a period of time and so a 'quick switch' wouldnt show up any changes

How would that work? I thought the theory was that the "hifi" mains cables filtered out RFI. Surely if there was any benefit from this, it would be immediate?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hammill:aliEnRIK:

How would that work? I thought the theory was that the "hifi" mains cables filtered out RFI. Surely if there was any benefit from this, it would be immediate?

Theres no theory behind RFI filtering, thats a FACT now
emotion-21.gif

Im simply explaining what ive personally found when testing cables. yes, some have an immediate effect, others not so..............

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:hammill:aliEnRIK:

Theres no theory behind RFI filtering, thats a FACT now
emotion-21.gif

Im simply explaining what ive personally found when testing cables. yes, some have an immediate effect, others not so..............

So evolution and relativity are Theories, but RFI filtering is a FACT? Seems like Einstein should have got Russ Andrews on the job and it would have all been signed off
emotion-1.gif

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Not worked it out yet...........

Here you go..........

http://www.hifix.co.uk

£70 for 1.5 metres of it too.......then £132 for 2 metres
emotion-9.gif
Not so good......

Pistol Pete

Yep, got it, thanks, was off line but had a search during today.

Powerchord all the way through...............or silver screen for the TV?

I'm thinking Power Chord all the way through..............?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not as obvious a difference when it comes to a tv, so if you can find a cheap alternative, I would go for that. The Chord superscreen only cost my £40 off ebay....

Or, order the powerchords and try one on the tv. If you like, order another....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Not as obvious a difference when it comes to a tv, so if you can find a cheap alternative, I would go for that. The Chord superscreen only cost my £40 off ebay....

Or, order the powerchords and try one on the tv. If you like, order another....

I have good ones on my hifi but don't see the point on the TV. The picture is perfectly fine as it is.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So...............taken the plunge and 3 Chord Power Chords now ordered.

Can't wait for delivery, thanks for all the positive advice, will report back once connected up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts