Humble Pie?

matthewpiano

Have you ever auditioned a hi-fi component of any kind and slagged it off as a consequence, only to hear it in the future in different circumstances and a different system and be blown away by it?

What I'm really asking is, how many of us have been forced to eat Hi-Fi Humble Pie?

T

the record spot

Wonder if that could be extended out to any of the review team... *cough* ?!
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Kef's iQ range, in particular the (non-SE) iQ7 and 9's.

Perhaps have to extend that to NAD though I never slayed the brand, simply never bothered to listen to any other than the latest entry level amp/cdp which, at the time, outperformed a Musical Fidelity/ProAc system at around 15 times the cost. Not ideal settings but then homes rarely are either ...

I'm still intrigued why you're back with a NAD Matthewpiano? Not a criticism at all. What is it that you like so much about it over the more expensive amps you had?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes.

My current amp and CD player.

Heard them on two seperate occasions in supposedely 'optimum'' conditions in my local Naim dealership last year.

Hated them both times and wrote as much on more than one occasion.

All other occasions previously (going back to about 1983) I had not heard a Naim system I liked.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:
the record spot:*cough* ?!
emotion-5.gif

tixylix-dry-cough2.jpg

More of a Potters Remedy man myself Andrew!

veg_cough.jpg

plastic penguin:Yep, the other night. Mains cables have grated with me, couldn't see the logic behind the hoo-ha that went with it. I've openly critisied them on the forum. . . .I hold my hands up. I was WRONG!!

A thought - you could have 'egg on your face'. A nice bowl of humble pie and custard. . . .

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Yep, the other night. Mains cables have grated with me, couldn't see the logic behind the hoo-ha that went with it. I've openly critisied them on the forum. . . .I hold my hands up. I was WRONG!!

A bit confused about this. Wasn't it the cable that came with the amp or something, not one of the Daley specials? Or did you replace the DS with a standard one?

Tarquinh:

A bit confused about this. Wasn't it the cable that came with the amp or something, not one of the Daley specials? Or did you replace the DS with a standard one?

Came with my A65 and has been sitting in a sealed box for the past 5 years. When pulled it out it was like a brand new lead.

A

Anonymous

So it's just the standard Arcam cable? What were you using before?

Great argument for sticking with manufacturer supplied items rather than going for the esoteric, if that's what you mean.ÿ

Tarquinh:

So it's just the standard Arcam cable? What were you using before?

Great argument for sticking with manufacturer supplied items rather than going for the esoteric, if that's what you mean.

The lead given to me (yes, given) by a kind chap at Audio-T (Epsom), around 5/6 years ago.

Mind you he should as, a few weeks beforehand, I'd purchased a hi-fi stacking rack from him.

matthewpiano

drummerman:
Kef's iQ range, in particular the (non-SE) iQ7 and 9's.

Perhaps have to extend that to NAD though I never slayed the brand, simply never bothered to listen to any other than the latest entry level amp/cdp which, at the time, outperformed a Musical Fidelity/ProAc system at around 15 times the cost. Not ideal settings but then homes rarely are either ...

I'm still intrigued why you're back with a NAD Matthewpiano? Not a criticism at all. What is it that you like so much about it over the more expensive amps you had?

I think things have been slightly complicated by a range of factors, not least the realisation only very recently (after going back to a NAD) that the positioning of my speakers within my room was less than ideal and having a major impact on the performance of every set-up I've tried. I came to this conclusion after thinking it was strange that nothing was really satisfying me consistently enough. Moving things around has had a huge impact, and so I'm not sure most of the kit that has been here has really had a very fair chance to be honest.

That said, I really do think the NAD is a cracking little amp. Its the over-riding sense of musicality that hits me every time I listen to it. There is life and depth in the sound that I've not really had from anything else and I love the feeling that, whatever speakers I use, it seems to drive them with ease and provide really excellent tonal quality and details levels at all volume levels.

That leads me to my own humble pie. I've been loaned a pair of second hand B&W 685s to try by a colleague in the industry who was determined to change my mind about them. Having auditioned them before with the Marantz CD/PM6002 and the Arcam CD17/A18 I was unimpressed with the 685s, and have always said as much on these forums. In those auditions they sounded splashy, dull, and uninspiring and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Well, I've now listened for about 8-9 hours with these 685s set up in my own home with my own equipment and I can't believe how different they sound. Driven by the NAD they sound rhythmic, spacious and extremely musical with excellent control across the frequency range. They actually image better than the Quads but have a much more open quality, and there is absolutely non of the splashiness that I heard in the earlier demonstration. They are the first speakers I've had here that seem to reproduce the bass end so convincingly without making it overblown. Now they sound like the speakers that WHFS&V have reviewed so glowingly and I really can see what all the fuss is about. Refined, yet articulate and attacking when required, they gel very well with the NAD amp and my MF V-DAC/340C combo. The detail levels these things retrieve are incredible. I'm hearing new things on tracks I thought I knew inside out! These are in the black finish but, given the big saving and currently poor availability of new 685s, I can't see them going back.

The egg is on my face, and the humble pie is being digested as we speak.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts