Hum - Static from speakers

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I own an older Pioneer VSX-421 AVR set up with a pair of Stereo Q Acoustics 3020 Speakers.

Connection wise, I have it all neatly wired and cable tied with 3 HDMI inputs ( WETEK Android Box, Xbox One, TiVo ) all connected with QED Performance HDMI cables.

Speaker cable I use is QED Signature Revelation terminated with QED Banana plugs.

When the AVR is at higher volumes, I.e. when watching Movies on KODI through the WETEK or even when on the XBOX there is a hum noise when there is no dialogue or sound which comes from the speakers.

At first I thought there must be a ground loop or some sort of interferance, but I went through the task of disconnected every cable, moving it all away from the mains and just setting up one single connection to test where there was a fault. But it is still there and I can't get rid of it.

Any suggestions what may be causing the issue?

Best Regards,

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Can you test your speakers with a different amp or test your receiver with different speakers?
If it's only happening with the receiver cranked up to high volume it suggests a receiver fault, not mains pickup, but make sure the speaker cables are up to snuff and as far away from any other cables as you reasonably can just to be sure.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
To be honest it was my first AVR and is getting on a little so I may have to look to upgrade. It wont be the speakers as I have tested two pairs on them and get the same result. It's also hard to keep the mains and speaker cable quite far apart with them all being up against the wall behind the TV Cabinet. I have cable tied everything up and moved it all as far as possible.

I can only assume it to be the avr.. Looks like I need to start looking

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Cable tying things together, other than just the mains cables and then only to keep them out of the way of all the other cables, probably isn't a good idea. Spread the audio cables out again and see if that solves your problem. You could just be getting minor cross talk that gets amplified up to audible levels when you crank the receiver up. If you find the culprit cables keep them as far apart as possible. The effects drop off with distance squared.
And yes, most peoples' wiring looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory (even if they won't admit it).

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have not tied any mains cable near the speaker cable, just the speaker cable together otherwise it would be all lying on the phone as you mentioned like a tin of exploded spaghetti. But I shall experiment but I think I'm going to get my self a DENON AVR

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My point is you may not be picking up mains hum at all, but some other source of hum, like from one of your sources, that is getting amplified up to audible levels with the volume cranked up, or just some kind of wierd feedback signal that is getting amplified over and over.

As I (and Sherlock Holmes) have said before, if you've eliminated all the probables, only the IMprobables remain as the likely suspects... (or something like that). If you buy a new receiver and you're still getting the hum you won't be any the wiser and you'll be a few hundred quid out of pocket (all be it with a shiny new toy to play with :) ).

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
PSJust to check the flippin' obvious, if you've got a turntable hooked up, you've rememebered to ground that to the receiver chassis earth / ground screw on the back, right?

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
No connection, when I have time I will seperate everything a little further. It's hard when the TV Unit is backed up against the living room wall with the cable all neatly ( or as neat as it can be ) tucked behind. If It's inevitable that they will be in close proximity.

It's not too bad I can live with it as to cure any hum, I just amend the volume amplification on the source, I.e. on Kodi when playing a stream if i turn the volume amplification up to +15db say, I can then in turn crank down the receiver quite a few notches which removes any audible noises other than the source completely. It's not a major issue and is just me being nit-picky but I'm one of those people that once I hear something no matter how quiet it is, I zone in on it and just listen to that noise and it grinds me...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts