Winterwoods

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I have:
Thorens TD190 turntable
KEF LS50W
Marantz PM 6004

How do I connect these using my Marantz PM 6004 as a phono preamp? The turntable can be plugged into the phono input of the Marantz but I'm not sure where the speaker should be connected to.

Do I risk damaging my speakers if I use my Marantz as a preamp?

Lastly, if I acquire a CD player (Marantz CD6006), do I connect it to the speakers directly or the Marantz PM6004?

Thank you all in advance for your kind help.

Attachments

• IMG-9753.jpg
    IMG-9753.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-9752.jpg
    IMG-9752.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-9751.jpg
    IMG-9751.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 10

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
You can’t see it very well from your photo of the back of your PM6004 but you should have 2 sets of ‘recorder out‘ RCA sockets. You would use one of those to connect to the AUX in on your KEFs.

I can’t think of a way you could damage anything. The record out should be a line level output so it should be the same as if you plugged a CD player into your KEFs.

Winterwoods

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
You can’t see it very well from your photo of the back of your PM6004 but you should have 2 sets of ‘recorder out‘ RCA sockets. You would use one of those to connect to the AUX in on your KEFs.

I can’t think of a way you could damage anything. The record out should be a line level output so it should be the same as if you plugged a CD player into your KEFs.
Thanks for the reply.

I was worried because I’m always hearing active speakers+amp would damage the speakers big time.

I’ve attached a close up photo of the back of the Marantz, can you kindly help me verify?

Thanks for guiding this beginner!

Attachments

• IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 1

Gray

Why are you using the marantz with the Kef speakers? Cd to spkr via optical.
Thorens phono amp to speaker.
Everything inbuilt in the Kef is already there.
Bit unconventional Jimboo but he's using the Marantz as his phono preamp.
I wish I'd kept my Marantz KI amp to use just as a phono preamp......so much better than many standalone phono preamps.

Winterwoods

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Why are you using the marantz with the Kef speakers? Cd to spkr via optical.
Thorens phono amp to speaker.
Everything inbuilt in the Kef is already there.
Although KEF LS50W is an active speaker, I would still need a phono preamp for the Thorens... I’m not keen to get a separate preamp so I’m wondering if I can use the Marantz as a preamp and how I should connect it.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts