KEF LS50 Wireless II

CleanOldMan

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Got myself a rather simple setup. Everything sounds sublime—except—there's nary a sound coming from the sub in AUX mode. Why is this? Turntable in AUX plays thru the KEFs but the sub just sits there. Could be the issue's right under my nose but I am stumped. So I'm here on What seeking wisdom from the wise. Perhaps someone may have solved a similar snag?

• KEF LS50 Wireless II
• Rega P2 Turntable w/Ortofon Blue Cart
• Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Preamp
• SVS 3000 Micro Sub

Last edited:
Got myself a rather simple setup. Everything sounds sublime—except—there's nary a sound coming from the sub in AUX mode. Why is this? Turntable in AUX plays thru the KEFs but the sub just sits there. Could be the issue's right under my nose but I am stumped. So I'm here on What seeking wisdom from the wise. Perhaps someone may have solved a similar snag?

• KEF LS50 Wireless II
• Rega P2 Turntable w/Ortofon Blue Cart
• Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Preamp
• SVS 3000 Micro Sub
The KEFs have a good variety on inputs but the sun needs to be attached to an output not the AUX input.
You have the sun connect to the right port do you?
how, exactly, have you got the sub wired to the KEFs?

This thread may help.
if in doubt consult the manual.

Last edited:
Welcome to WHF forum, and you’ve got a great system there.

I’m reading your post slightly differently to Al, as I think you’re using the Aux input for your turntable. Your point is that only when using the turntable, your subwoofer is silent, correct? Yet when streaming (presumably) the sub works as you’d expect?

I suggest you ask the supplying dealer first in case there’s a detail in the manual you’ve missed. I can’t immediately think of an obvious explanation but I’m not familiar with the KEF actives, so I’m sure there’s a setting or connection that’ll be the answer.

Reactions: Babur72

CleanOldMan

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to WHF forum, and you’ve got a great system there.

I’m reading your post slightly differently to Al, as I think you’re using the Aux input for your turntable. Your point is that only when using the turntable, your subwoofer is silent, correct? Yet when streaming (presumably) the sub works as you’d expect?

I suggest you ask the supplying dealer first in case there’s a detail in the manual you’ve missed. I can’t immediately think of an obvious explanation but I’m not familiar with the KEF actives, so I’m sure there’s a setting or connection that’ll be the answer.
You read my issue exactly right. Nothing I could spot in the ultra-basic manual. I will reach out to the dealer. Thanx for that.

CleanOldMan

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Check if your subwoofer is on auto switch on. It may be the aux input is not triggering it. Set the auto on to off, and switch on your sub for normal operation, then test again.

Good thought! Auto switch off, and TT still subless whilst in AUX—however, just tried an iPad thru AUX and voila... sub!

So, phono preamp looking the culprit. Just inputs/outputs, no adjustability. Guess I'll try another preamp. It's the little things. 😵‍💫

2xcess

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
FWIW (I'm not using the Aux input though) my REL T5i behaves similarly even when streaming or using the other inputs. It needs a sufficient signal to kick it into life. Generally speaking, that means a volume of '35' or more in the KEF Connect app, although it depends on the music being played - i.e. how much bass is within the track at and below the lowpass crossover freq. When I want to (or am told to by the boss) to play music quietly I have to switch the sub to always-on, rather than leaving it in standby.

CleanOldMan

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
FWIW (I'm not using the Aux input though) my REL T5i behaves similarly even when streaming or using the other inputs. It needs a sufficient signal to kick it into life. Generally speaking, that means a volume of '35' or more in the KEF Connect app, although it depends on the music being played - i.e. how much bass is within the track at and below the lowpass crossover freq. When I want to (or am told to by the boss) to play music quietly I have to switch the sub to always-on, rather than leaving it in standby.

Thanx for that, 2xcess. I was thinkin' the same thing. On the phone with Rega this morning and they admit they're baffled but investigating. Stay tuned!

Thanx for that, 2xcess. I was thinkin' the same thing. On the phone with Rega this morning and they admit they're baffled but investigating. Stay tuned!
I wonder if you’ve got access to a CD player to try. They max out around 2 volts, whereas the Rega Fono is probably a quarter of that. I had one until recently and like most phono stages they are usually at a lower ‘line’ level.

CleanOldMan

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Capital idea, nopiano. Accessing an actual CD player might be a challenge but worth a try. I did get the sub going with Tidal on an iPad. Maybe the phono stage needs a phono stage!

2xcess

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if you’ve got access to a CD player to try. They max out around 2 volts, whereas the Rega Fono is probably a quarter of that. I had one until recently and like most phono stages they are usually at a lower ‘line’ level.

No CD player to try these days I'm afraid. Before streaming became a thing I could never have imagined saying that.. 🙂 I know good CD players still produce excellent results I just can't justify another piece of HiFi equipment sitting on the rack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts