How to connect chord hugo to amplifier??

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

I can get a good deal on the chord hugo dac. It is a headphone dac, but do you guys think it would be good as a standalone dac in my system (kef ls50 and arcam a29). And how do you connect the dac to the amp, via normal rca?

Regards Christian

gasolin

Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

I can get a good deal on the chord hugo dac. It is a headphone dac, but do you guys think it would be good as a standalone dac in my system (kef ls50 and arcam a29). And how do you connect the dac to the amp, via normal rca?

Regards Christian

How are you gonna use it?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

Regards Christian

As a normal dac, right now i have the arcam d33, but it is so big in size and the sound is abit laidback, so i thought i would try the hugo..

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You set the Hugo to line level output mode, and then yes connect via the rca outputs as per any dac.

How good a deal are you getting it for? The Chord Mojo might also be worth a look, has the same features on a smaller and cheaper scale. With the Mojo you output via one of the 3.5mm headphone outputs to the amps rca input using a 3.5mm rca splitter.

Solid reports about the Mojo performance in a full system have yet to come in but I would compare the two if possible.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
You set the Hugo to line level output mode, and then yes connect via the rca outputs as per any dac.

How good a deal are you getting it for? The Chord Mojo might also be worth a look, has the same features on a smaller and cheaper scale. With the Mojo you output via one of the 3.5mm headphone outputs to the amps rca input using a 3.5mm rca splitter.

Solid reports about the Mojo performance in a full system have yet to come in but I would compare the two if possible.

Thanks Chris, deal is 850 pounds. Do you think the hugo would fit well in my system? and maybe outperform the arcam d33?

gasolin

Chr78 said:
gasolin said:
Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

Regards Christian

As a normal dac, right now i have the arcam d33, but it is so big in size and the sound is abit laidback, so i thought i would try the hugo..

With your headphone,as a dac between your pc and amp, instead of the one in your cd player or a combination ?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Chr78 said:
gasolin said:
Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

Regards Christian

With your headphone,as a dac between your pc and amp, instead of the one in your cd player or a combination ?
Not for my headphones but between mac and amp...

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Having heard neither I couldn't even guess sorry. Very generally I've heard that the Hugo is detailed and analytical which could point to a slightly brighter sound. Arcam products tend to be warmer sounding, at least any I've owned have been. The Mojo is being described as slightly warmer than the Hugo as a headphone amp but still very detailed, whether or not this carries over into a full system usage I don't know. At £399 it could be worth a look as mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts