WiiM Pro Plus coax out to Chord Mojo coax in lead.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Any suggestions for a decent digital coaxial lead that will connect my WiiM Pro Plus to my Chord Mojo. I thought I could use RCA size plugs, until the mojo arrived today.

Last edited:

Gray

Reactions: manicm

Gray

DO NOT use standard RCA to 3.5mm cables. You can get coaxial standard to 3.5mm cables.
A coaxial cable is a cable with both conductors sharing a central axis..

The cable I linked to is a coaxial cable
It will work.
You're thinking it looks too cheap.
Yes a 75 ohm coax cable is the theoretical ideal - even then, an RCA plug is not a genuinely 75 ohm connector.
But the chances are there will be no audible difference.

If it was me, I would probably get some 75 ohm coax and fit my own plugs.

But if you can find a genuine 75 ohm RCA to 3.5 mm cable I want to see it. (You won't be able to).

Reactions: DougK1

Gray

This will do the job but you can spend a lot more if you like.

The cable in post #3 will do the job in the same way - audibly.
A potentially important advantage of this cable though, could be its durability 👍
(We also have to assume (hope) that the 4 poles on this 3.5mm plug are wired so as to be suitable for what will (almost certainly) be just a 2-pole socket on his Mojo).

And yes, this one is described as a 'digital coaxial cable' - but there's no mention of it being 75ohm.

Perhaps somebody here would like to explain what they think the difference is between this screened 'digital' coaxial cable and a screened coaxial cable which is not described as digital.

Last edited:

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Crikey, I had no idea it would be so complicated. I may have confused things even more- I now believe both sockets are 3.5 SPDIF. I'm partially sighted, and when I tried the RCA plug it felt a good snug fit, but I think that may have been the Outer connector shroud, rather than the pin. Sorry. I suppose WiiM may have helped by listing the coax socket size in their manual, as Chord have.
Now I think I need a 3.5 to 3.5 coaxial digital lead 75 ohm, but can't find one. I had no idea Hi Fi could be so complicated- initially I phoned Richer Sounds and asked how I connect the WiiM and Chord, and they didn't know, ending up by telling me I would get a warmer sound via optical. I have it connected optically, and love the sound, but read that higher resolution is possible via coaxial connections- in short the sample rate is limited with optical.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Surely these connections are industry standard coaxial sizes so any standard coaxial RCA should fit? As for differences in presentation or hi-res abilities, unless you have 'golden ears' I seriously doubt you will hear a difference between optical and coaxial. Any differences heard will be purely placebo.

Reactions: Gray

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
The coaxial out on the WiiM is indeed standard RCA, but the coaxial input on the MojoChord is 3.5. I got it wrong.
I am sure you are right, I wouldn't hear the difference- certainly not through my amp and speakers, which are budget. But, I can easily tell the difference between the ProPlus DAC and the Mojo, which I am feeding into my amp using its line out feature. I would still like to experiment though, so to avoid wasting money I have simply bought an adaptor to use with a RCA coaxial cable.
Thanks everyone for your help, I really am a total novice and was confounded by all the different leads, and their uses.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
The coaxial out on the WiiM is indeed standard RCA, but the coaxial input on the MojoChord is 3.5. I got it wrong.
I am sure you are right, I wouldn't hear the difference- certainly not through my amp and speakers, which are budget. But, I can easily tell the difference between the ProPlus DAC and the Mojo, which I am feeding into my amp using its line out feature. I would still like to experiment though, so to avoid wasting money I have simply bought an adaptor to use with a RCA coaxial cable.
Thanks everyone for your help, I really am a total novice and was confounded by all the different leads, and their uses.
Typical of Chord to over complicate things :) Not all DACs are created equal :)

Fandango Andy

Crikey, I had no idea it would be so complicated. I may have confused things even more- I now believe both sockets are 3.5 SPDIF. I'm partially sighted, and when I tried the RCA plug it felt a good snug fit, but I think that may have been the Outer connector shroud, rather than the pin. Sorry. I suppose WiiM may have helped by listing the coax socket size in their manual, as Chord have.
Now I think I need a 3.5 to 3.5 coaxial digital lead 75 ohm, but can't find one. I had no idea Hi Fi could be so complicated- initially I phoned Richer Sounds and asked how I connect the WiiM and Chord, and they didn't know, ending up by telling me I would get a warmer sound via optical. I have it connected optically, and love the sound, but read that higher resolution is possible via coaxial connections- in short the sample rate is limited with optical.
I have a WiiM mini so have never seen a pro plus in the flesh. Just googled it and zoomed in on a photo it is an RCA, so you will need RCA to 3.5 (also sometimes called mini jack).

I have been down a Google rabbithole and found others have had the same problem. There are very cheap cables that they don't trust, and very expensive ones. I did find this one that the marketing blurb says ideal for Chord Mojo:

No idea how good they are but you could give it a go if not happy with the adapter.

As others gave suggested there is also optical.

Reactions: DougK1

Gray

Crikey, I had no idea Hi Fi could be so complicated- initially I phoned Richer Sounds and asked how I connect the WiiM and Chord, and they didn't know, ending up by telling me I would get a warmer sound via optical.
We've all got reasons for liking Richer Sounds, but saying that optical will give you a warmer sound, is absolutely ridiculous.

It's that sort of statement that makes hi-fi a lot more complicated than it really is.
Much of what you read / hear will be people stating things as facts - often merely passing on things that others have stated as fact.

Reactions: Al ears and DougK1
We've all got reasons for liking Richer Sounds, but saying that optical will give you a warmer sound, is absolutely ridiculous.

It's that sort of statement that makes hi-fi a lot more complicated than it really is.
Much of what you read / hear will be people stating things as facts - often merely passing on things that others have stated as fact.
Agreed, a load of nonsense issued by people that should know better will only distance people from so called dealers.
That said, doing your own research before purchase would have made quite clear that the ability to connect these two items with a proper digital coax cable was always going to prove difficult and the only real option was an optical lead.
If you want to connect the Wiim Pro to a decent external dac then doing so to what is essentially a portable dac for phones and the like is not the way to go.
Buyer beware....

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Agreed, a load of nonsense issued by people that should know better will only distance people from so called dealers.
That said, doing your own research before purchase would have made quite clear that the ability to connect these two items with a proper digital coax cable was always going to prove difficult and the only real option was an optical lead.
If you want to connect the Wiim Pro to a decent external dac then doing so to what is essentially a portable dac for phones and the like is not the way to go.
Buyer beware....
The Mojo was bought as a portable device initially, but then I turned to other uses. The only headphone socket I have is on my nineties Marantz cd player, and that only just powers my headphones to the volume I like- the Mojo now provides great sound to my headphones, the best hundred quid I've spent.I am aware of battery issues when using the Mojo as a desk top, but for the time being it has opened up a whole new world for me, a real game changer I think you're wrong to say connecting the Mojo to the WiiM was always going to prove difficult, and the only real option was optical. Thanks to these forums I've been given links to the lead I require- what is difficult about that? Granted, I probably won't hear the difference between my existing optical connection and coaxial, but what's wrong with finding out for myself?
My 'sound system' has cost me less than £500 in total, and you would say it sounds like it. But for me it is getting better and better with each purchase, which is the whole point, surely? If I had researched things properly I certainly wouldn't have bought vintage gear with no digital connectors, but as both an amp and cd player got me up and going for under a hundred quid I'm happy. At least at my level every improvement is real, and not imagined....

Reactions: jjbomber

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Its not and don't be put off its all gotten rather silly this thread,

Either by a cheap cable off Amazon or other, that might or might not be on spec or buy a brand cable from a well know cable brand that will probably be half / the same cost of the Wim but will be of the correct spec no questions asked. There are also places on eBay that that make them, just email what you need and they will get it sorted for you.

Alternatively just cut to the chase and email chord and ask them which reasonably priced cable would work with the mojo.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
The Mojo was bought as a portable device initially, but then I turned to other uses. The only headphone socket I have is on my nineties Marantz cd player, and that only just powers my headphones to the volume I like- the Mojo now provides great sound to my headphones, the best hundred quid I've spent.I am aware of battery issues when using the Mojo as a desk top, but for the time being it has opened up a whole new world for me, a real game changer I think you're wrong to say connecting the Mojo to the WiiM was always going to prove difficult, and the only real option was optical. Thanks to these forums I've been given links to the lead I require- what is difficult about that? Granted, I probably won't hear the difference between my existing optical connection and coaxial, but what's wrong with finding out for myself?
My 'sound system' has cost me less than £500 in total, and you would say it sounds like it. But for me it is getting better and better with each purchase, which is the whole point, surely? If I had researched things properly I certainly wouldn't have bought vintage gear with no digital connectors, but as both an amp and cd player got me up and going for under a hundred quid I'm happy. At least at my level every improvement is real, and not imagined....
Don't get too hung up on some of the comments. Many of the guys on here have decades of experience and have probably been in the same position as you multiple times. If we come across as critical old codgers then just take it as experience talking, nothing more, nothing less (y) :)

Vintage gear can have connectivity drawbacks in this digital age, but if you like it that's all that matters.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS