WiiM Pro Plus coax out to Chord Mojo coax in lead.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

....I probably won't hear the difference between my existing optical connection and coaxial, but what's wrong with finding out for myself?
Nothing wrong with that at all - there's no better way to find out 👍

You probably already know, but the ability (or not) of cables to affect sound quality, is one of the most controversial areas in hi-fi and the cause of many arguments on forums.
The theory of the non-believers, is that the believers want (and expect) to hear a benefit from expensive cables.....so they do.

What would be educational, would be to compare the cable that I linked to in post #3 with one costing 10x the price - getting somebody to do the swaps so that you had no idea which you were hearing.

Glad you're happy with your Mojo that's the main thing, enjoy the music 👍

Reactions: DougK1

Fandango Andy

The Mojo was bought as a portable device initially, but then I turned to other uses. The only headphone socket I have is on my nineties Marantz cd player, and that only just powers my headphones to the volume I like- the Mojo now provides great sound to my headphones, the best hundred quid I've spent.I am aware of battery issues when using the Mojo as a desk top, but for the time being it has opened up a whole new world for me, a real game changer I think you're wrong to say connecting the Mojo to the WiiM was always going to prove difficult, and the only real option was optical. Thanks to these forums I've been given links to the lead I require- what is difficult about that? Granted, I probably won't hear the difference between my existing optical connection and coaxial, but what's wrong with finding out for myself?
My 'sound system' has cost me less than £500 in total, and you would say it sounds like it. But for me it is getting better and better with each purchase, which is the whole point, surely? If I had researched things properly I certainly wouldn't have bought vintage gear with no digital connectors, but as both an amp and cd player got me up and going for under a hundred quid I'm happy. At least at my level every improvement is real, and not imagined....
There is nothing more satisfying than putting a great sounding system together for a barging price. Especially when many people spend fortunes chasing a unicorn. I have a system in my bedroom that I probably list to more than my main system. The amp was £35 from ebay about ten years ago. The speakers and chromecast audio were repurposed from my main system.

Don't forget to update the post when you get the mojo hooked up. Interested to see which option you go for and how it sounds. I have a WiiM mini. Adding an external DAC really opened it up.

Reactions: Gray

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Really sorry to hear you appear to have been given some confusing advice from one of our store colleagues. If you can message me with your sale or customer number from your receipt and a telephone contact number, either myself or a senior member of my team will contact you to find out more.

seniorcomplaintsteam@richersounds.com

I hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for your concerns Tom, though I wasn't really having a major moan it's good to know you take customer service seriously at Richer Sounds.I've emailed you further reassurances.

Thanks Fandango, I thought I had found the coax lead, but discovered the 3.5 end isn't wired correctly for my use. I shall continue my search, but I'm really enjoying my sounds now. My speakers are the next thing to improve, I only have Mordaunt M20s, so it's going to be easy to do better there. I have some ATH M50x headphones which sound superb plugged straight into the Mojo, but I do prefer the speaker experience.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I would use optical, but either way you don't need to spend a lot. Amazon has a good selection of both.
Don't tell me Chord doesn't supply the cords? LOL they could at least throw in an optical cable??
I absolutely noticed a difference in sound between optical and coax using a Wiim Pro Plus into a Cambridge Audio CXA61.
I suspect it's the design / layout of the digital board, how the information is being routed and handled and how it gets processed before it hits the DAC. Yes, it's the same 0's and 1's but actually not the same in the end.
It makes a difference, that's why Cambridge Audio up samples everything in their gear, it allows for better processing in the DAC and improves jitter. It's kinda similar to how DAW software now uses 64 bit float for processing in the audio engine.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input and help. To conclude:
Richer Sounds contacted me about my experience, and generously put things right.
Chord Electronics have acknowledged my enquiries, but have yet to reply.
I discovered that the Mojo 2 was wired single tip, which was why the rca to 3.5 lead I had didn't work- it had four bands on it. Someone here suggested that would be the case, so thanks.
I am going to try the Audioquest cable linked to by Fandango Andy, which is single tipped wired. It may seem silly spending £35 on a cable when the device only cost £100 and I probably won't hear the difference but after putting everyone to so much trouble I feel I ought, and a couple of people have said they can hear a difference, at least with their gear. Also, the coax input supports higher sampling rates than optical, so I'll have the pleasure of seeing different colour lights, even if I can't hear the change !!!

Reactions: Al ears

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Its not and don't be put off its all gotten rather silly this thread,

Either by a cheap cable off Amazon or other, that might or might not be on spec or buy a brand cable from a well know cable brand that will probably be half / the same cost of the Wim but will be of the correct spec no questions asked. There are also places on eBay that that make them, just email what you need and they will get it sorted for you.

Alternatively just cut to the chase and email chord and ask them which reasonably priced cable would work with the mojo.
Chord customer support got back to me and said a reasonable quality digital coax RCA cable, with a 3.5mm mono jack adaptor would do the job fine. If the manual said the coaxial input was 3.5mm mono it would have made life easier. The Mojo 2 manual specifies 3.5 single tipped, which I've learned is mono. I've also learned what those rings are on a stereo jack, and why you can experience noise before the plug is fully inserted. Everyday's a school day in the world of HiFi !

Thanks again everyone, I'm loving my sound, but I'm already bidding on a CA CAX 61. Which will inevitably need some better speakers .....

Gray

I discovered that the Mojo 2 was wired single tip, which was why the rca to 3.5 lead I had didn't work- it had four bands on it. Someone here suggested that would be the case, so thanks.
Indeed, that particular cable takes some explaining.
The 3.5mm end is a TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve). It is a 4 pole plug.
However, the RCA plug has 2 poles.

So it's essential to know how the 4 pole end is wired - before it can be (confidently) used anywhere.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Your 3.5mm 4-pole plug DID have a single tip!!

You're right, Chord should have described the requirement for a 'Standard 2-pole 3.5mm jack plug' (I'm surprised they didn't).
(Can't blame them for not mentioning 'mono' - because, in their application, it's carrying stereo - in digital form).
I've finally learned what's what, and what things should be called.I should have spent some time on YT before I confused myself. I've even learned the difference between resistance and impedance- everyday's a schoolday in HiFi!
I've ended up with a nice custom lead from audio sanctuary. Can I tell the difference between optical and coax? Of course I can- I get a nice blue light :ROFLMAO:Maybe my headphones will reveal a difference but I very much doubt it. Best thing is the lead's plugs are a perfect fit, and won't be slipping out as the Toslink SPDIF has (thanks to my clumsiness)
Thanks everyone, for anyone else in need the lead is AudioSanctuary part no. CCSCC35

Fandango Andy

I've finally learned what's what, and what things should be called.I should have spent some time on YT before I confused myself. I've even learned the difference between resistance and impedance- everyday's a schoolday in HiFi!
I've ended up with a nice custom lead from audio sanctuary. Can I tell the difference between optical and coax? Of course I can- I get a nice blue light :ROFLMAO:Maybe my headphones will reveal a difference but I very much doubt it. Best thing is the lead's plugs are a perfect fit, and won't be slipping out as the Toslink SPDIF has (thanks to my clumsiness)
Thanks everyone, for anyone else in need the lead is AudioSanctuary part no. CCSCC35

Good to hear younare sorted.

That looks like the one I sent you the link for (not taking any credit, I only googled it). The notable thing about that one to make me think jt was what you needed was that it said "ideal for use with the Chord Hugo, Chord MoJo". It clearly explained what it was for. I can't help thinking some online sellers keep their descriptions intentionally ambiguous so people will buy them by mistake.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts