how do i upscale my sky+

farawaydave

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
watching sky+ on an old samsung plasma 50in dont know which model.sd pictures aren't great but thought with the addition of a upscaling amp might improve the picture,but how would i connect it up being that sky+ doesnt have hdmi

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you have a box with component output, then it'll be no problem.

If not, you'll either have to output via RGB Scart into a Scart-to-component converter, which will give unpredictable results and not be cheap, or output via S-video into the receiver, which again may not give as good results as the direct Scart connection to the TV.

farawaydave

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
ok,looks like i'm in luck component output is present.Now if some kind soul could recommend a good upscaling amp for me i imagine an entry level model would be fine.now this a greatway to introduce the wife to the prospect of bluray as would be a shame to buy the amp and not utilize the bluray potential now would it?

A

Anonymous

I went down this route before and like Andrew was saying about the scart to component converter, it was not an improvement at all. Looked worse than scart directly to the tv.
I tried composite into my amp and then upscaled that and still was not better. Stick with a decent scart lead like qed or thor with rgb and it will get you the best results.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I'm with Cofnchtr, are you absolutely sure you have a regular Sky+ box with component video output? If so, it's the first I've heard of such a box existing (I'm a Sky+ owner myself, and I was always under the impression I'd have to upgrade to get such a connection...)

EDIT: I'm also with Paulthefilmfan - I bought a QED Sqart lead from play.com last year, and it improved my Sky+ picture no end. It now looks excellent considering it's SD, and definitely good enough to keep me in good stead til they do away with that pesky Sky+HD £10-a-month charge!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You're probably all right, but I just had a thought somewhere in the back of my mind that there was one box used for Sky+ that did have component...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts