Hot Denon DVD player....Self inflicted

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For a few weeks Iv had my Denon 1940 DVD player inside a TV cabinet with closed doors close to my Virgin media V+ box (Virgin cables version of Sky HD)

The Virgin V+ box runs quite hot like the Sky HD box and I recently put my hand on the Denon after playering a movie and the case was very warm. I don't mean so hot you couldn't touch it but very warm.

I looked in the Denon manual and found it states that you should leave 10cm around the player for proper heat disspersal and keep it away from other heat sources OPPS!! :(

Well now I leave the cabinet door open and turn off the V+ box when using the Denon but I wonder.....

How would I know if any componants in the Denon DVD player have been hurt or damaged in any way due to over heating? The player turns on fine, it plays fine with a great picture so... Id assume no harm done? Are there any tests I can run to see if the player is performing as it should? Does anyone know how an over heating DVD player reacts... symptoms etc?

Any advice or thoughts from those with a decent understanding of moden electronics would be greatly appreciated!? Thx

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="britlifter"]Any advice or thoughts from those with a decent understanding of moden electronics would be greatly appreciated!?[/quote]

'Fraid you'll have to put up with me instead.

All players will get warm when playing a disc, but having it in a warm enviroment probably isn't likely to have caused any long-lasting problems. After all, the players have to be designed to work in pretty high temperatures for some areas of the world.

That said, continued exposure to high temperatures probably isn't a smart move, and I'd avoid having either the Virgin or Sky boxes in an enclosed cabinet unless there was some ventilation provided, via openings in the cabinet or even a fan to force some air through.

Have a look at my answer to this post earlier today for some pointers.

A

Anonymous

Thx Andrew for the reply, you're advice is appreciated mate.

I must confess when I first got the player I actually had the V+ box on top of the Denon! This made the player very warm indeed!! I don't do this now and they're on their own shelf.

Im quess Im askin, the fact that the player.. "works" fine with no trouble, Id assume that all is ok with the player and no damage has occured? Id assume that if heat hurt a componant then the player just simply wouldn't work?

Thx!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If it works, yes you're fine, and there's little chance such a short term exposure to very mild heat would have in any way shortened its operating life, for reasons explained in my original reply.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
If it works, yes you're fine, and there's little chance such a short term exposure to very mild heat would have in any way shortened its operating life, for reasons explained in my original reply.

[/quote]

Thx Andrew. Appreciated. Il vent the player better from here on.

Just one thing, I dont have too much experiance with electronics that give off heat like amps etc, never had surround sound.. So may I ask, you class the Virgin V+ box as "very mild" heat? Have you felt it underneath when its been on a while, in my experiance, Id call that hot!? LOL Thx mate ;-)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, I class the amount of heat generated by the V+ box in the same cabinet as other components as relatively mild.

The direct heat of having it on top of your player for an extended time might be more serious, but you won't know whether any actual damage has been done to the Denon until it finally does (or doesn't) go 'phut!'.

At which point you won't be covered by the warranty anyway, if it's discovered that the problem has been caused by excessive heat, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

A

Anonymous

The crazy thing is... I took it back to richer sounds (as I thought I was having a picture issue, turns out it was just that one dvd and just on my TV) and compared the picture to their in shop demo denon 1940, the picture on mine was slightly better! Bit fuller and open, 3D. (same power lead and componant cable used) I wondered perhaps the heat in some crazy way helped the player "run" or "burn" in as they say!

Just a thought..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="britlifter"]I wondered perhaps the heat in some crazy way helped the player "run" or "burn" in as they say![/quote]

Direct heat isn't exactly a recommended method for running in products.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="britlifter"]I wondered perhaps the heat in some crazy way helped the player "run" or "burn" in as they say![/quote]

Direct heat isn't exactly a recommended method for running in products.

[/quote]

No, understood, it wasn't deliberate and Il be sure to bare mind to ventilation in the future. So basicly while its working....its fine, IF it goes POP.. then it aint fine no more! But so long its workin (and if it continues to work)... then its fine. Is that about the gist of it?
emotion-43.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="britlifter"]No, understood, it wasn't deliberate and Il be sure to bare mind to ventilation in the future. So basicly while its working....its fine, IF it goes POP.. then it aint fine no more! But so long its workin (and if it continues to work)... then its fine. Is that about the gist of it?
emotion-43.gif
[/quote]

Yup.

Next week on How To Run-in Your Hi-fi...

A

Anonymous

That actually made me LOL Andy! No I wouldn't be that daft mate!! I quess my player had a slightly better pic than the demo one due to mine havin more use hence run in..wheras the shop one was just sittin on the shelf. Thx for the help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts