Hi and Help....

Stevo

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi have just found you....

Following spinal injury and confinement to a wheelchair four years ago we have just moved house to bigger property so room for my wheels and the redundant hi fi to be set up...

mainly Denon amp (50 watts per channel) with Acoustics Solutions DAB tuner, new Teac CD player/ burner, B and W speakers floor or plinth standing 100 Watts and a fully automatic Denon direct drive turntable 21f which is going wrong and not stopping. All from the 1980's except the new Teac....

now need a new turntable but due to being in a wheelchair am concerned about getting a belt drive as I would need to keep wheeling over to the turntable to lift the arm off the LP.....have not seen any new fully or even semi automatic turntables on the market and definitely want to upgrade the turntable to improve the sound....

have thought about looking at used B and O seperates but whilst great for my needs not sure about sound compared to good seperates and cost would be around 3k

i have around £600 or so for a turntable, cartridge upgrade and spare stylus don't mind if new or used

any ideas here please ?

Stevo

any ideas as to any

A

Anderson

Stevo said:
Hi have just found you....

Following spinal injury and confinement to a wheelchair four years ago we have just moved house to bigger property so room for my wheels and the redundant hi fi to be set up...

mainly Denon amp (50 watts per channel) with Acoustics Solutions DAB tuner, new Teac CD player/ burner, B and W speakers floor or plinth standing 100 Watts and a fully automatic Denon direct drive turntable 21f which is going wrong and not stopping. All from the 1980's except the new Teac....

now need a new turntable but due to being in a wheelchair am concerned about getting a belt drive as I would need to keep wheeling over to the turntable to lift the arm off the LP.....have not seen any new fully or even semi automatic turntables on the market and definitely want to upgrade the turntable to improve the sound....

have thought about looking at used B and O seperates but whilst great for my needs not sure about sound compared to good seperates and cost would be around 3k

i have around £600 or so for a turntable, cartridge upgrade and spare stylus don't mind if new or used

any ideas here please ?

Stevo

any ideas as to any

Tell me to get bent but would you not be better served by getting a streaming set up, maybe a Sonos Connect and a subscription to Spotify or Google Music? This way you could control your music via your phone/tablet/laptop.

A

Anderson

Fair play to you, I'm just lazy, half the time I feel like it's an effort to flip through my phone to decide on what to listen to. You sir are dedicated to the art, kudos!

Stevo

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Think I have the solution now, solid oak desk with a Rega 3 turntable and Ortofon Red cartridge, being linked with 80's Denon PMA 710 amplifier and 80's B and W DM 110 speakers.

I need to put the record on the turntable anyway and damage to the stylus being left running on the label should I be delayed in my wheelchair is apparently negligible. Desk means I can get wheelchair under turntable to operate it.

looking forward to getting decent turntable and not being stuck with automatic ones....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Stevo it sounds like you have already solved your problem but I was going to suggest one of the higher-quality automatic linear tracking TTs from the 80s such as a Technics SL-6 or even the SL-10. The SL-10 was a stormer of a deck, even came as standard with a decent MC cartridge.

Stevo

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Really happy with new Rega Planer 3 turntable, now having to listen again to all the vinyl even the stuff I hate....

now for whether to upgrade speaker cable or not but no idea where to begin but always gone with thicker the better..... Currently got some horrible purple coloured stuff which seems to work well but anyone got any ideas, remembering no need to go into the thousands per metre region ?

It's for B and W DM110 speakers, Denon 55 watt amplifier from 80's and only has bare wire connectors, no banana plugs....

(tried some micro stuff reccomended by local modern hi fi shop and sounds awful in comparison)

Stevo

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Stevo said:
Chose to get Rega Planer 3 turntable with Ortofen Red cartridge and sounds great with Denon PMA 710 amp and B and W DM110 speakers, just upgrading speaker cable now to QED Revelation with spade lugs and pins.

Now thinking should I upgrade the Denon amplifier to a Rotel RA10 or Marantz amp but would I notice any difference ? The Rotel amp seems more geared to use with the Rega turntable and it would be mainly used with vinyl...

Has anyone matched the Rotel amp with a Rega and noted any improvement ?

Stevo

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
All going well with new Rega 3 turntable but need some advice on what size spade connectors to use on my B and W DM 110 speakers to connect the speaker cable.

QED cable is proving difficult to bare wire in as I would prefer to do and banana plugs don't fit the B and W binding posts....

Bought a set of spade connectors of eBay but far to big so has anyone else had similar problems who could advise please ???

Stevo

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Trying to get spade connectors or a banana plug adapter small enough to fit my B and W DM 110 speakers, but all the spade connectors I have tried so far seem to be too big.

The new QED Revelation speaker cable is proving a sod to twist connect around the binding posts so need another connector somehow...

Any ideas please ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts