Help setting up my Sony KDL55W905

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Learned friends.

I've recently purchased a Sony W90 55" tv.

In general I'm very pleased with it but I am having a problem setting it up.

The out of the box contrast and brightness were way to0 much (as you'd expect) and I have toned them down but quite simply there are so many variables within the set up menu I have just lost the plot. I've tweaked this, that and on occasions, the other too.

Is anyone able to help at all?

I accept the settings will depend on the room etc but even trying a THX has been a problem, though this is partly user error as I'm not especially technically minded.

Also, there is another issue.

Streaming with the new set is causing me a problem. The wireless signal is not that great in my house and I used to really struggle streaming with my PS3. I bought a Sony 790 BD player that streamed perfectly but is now struggling.

Is it possible that both the TV and the BD player are competing for, or interferring with, the wireless signal for each respective component?

It's getting frustrating having all the catch up stuff interupted by the dreaded rotating circle!!!!

I really want to enjoy this new set up and I've invested heavily, but it's just not doing it for me at the moment.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've owned this Television since early November & I've self calibrated a couple of times since using Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I do now have a stunning picture, I have set up separate modes for Sky, Blu ray & Gaming.

Easiest way to access is options button, then click on scene select which gives you a myriad of different picture presets. Maybe try one of these to see what suits you best. I can also post my settings for you, they are personal to my set up, but might give you a good starting point.

Regarding streaming I've not tried many of the apps to be honest, but I've not had an issue so far. I do also own Sony Blu ray player so doubt it's the case that they are competing or interfering with each other when your streaming. I assume you have updated Televisions firmware to latest version, if not try that.

Hope I've been some help.

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've just had firmware update this morning. So you should be on software version PKG4.001EUA. To find which version you are on it can be found in system settings under system information. Again hope this helps :)

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

You mention you would you post your settings. That would be really useful if you could as it would give me a good starting point.

I've downloaded the most recent upgrade but I'm not sure what that might have improved as yet and currently I don't seem to be able to access the BBC iplayer at all now! So I'm not sure how to get those apps back but will persevere with that. The BD player streamed fine pretty much until I got the tv, so I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what has happened there. Maybe I will try to move the router or perhaps consider a booster or something.

Thanks again for your advice though.

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here are my settings for Sky+HD:

Scene-Standard, Picture mode-Standard

Backlight 7

Contrast 80

Brightness 50

Colour 55

Hue G1

Colour Temp Warm 1

Sharpness 50

Film Mode Auto

All other settings off, except Motionflow - Clear

Advanced settings - All off, Gamma -1, LED Dynamic Control Standard.

My Blu Ray settings are:

Scene-Cinema, Picture Mode-Cinema 1

Backlight 6

Contrast 75

Brightness 50

Colour 54

Hue R1

Colour Temp Warm1

Sharpness 50

Film Mode Auto

All other settings off, except Motionflow - True Cinema

Advanced Settings - All off, Gamma -2, LED Dynamic Control Standard

My living room does get sun most of day, so all settings are for bright room. Hope these settings help give you a good starting point.

Someone

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the settings. Despite playing with the settings, I'm finding the default Sports settings out of the box to be the best. What do you guys think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts