Help needed

CasualCulture

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I am 33, live in the Netherlands and a audiophile ( I want the very best out of my music)

This is my first post and I would love if you can help me out.

I am looking for a new headphone, my personal favour goes out to a closed back, I listen to music most of the times at my laptop powered with bang & olufsen audio so the headphone can fiddle well.

There are so many headphones available and so many new brands, I always look for build quality and the frequency response, I love a low bass 6/8hz and a high trebble 39/40+.

The music I listen, some names: the rolling stones, them/van morrison, jimi hendrix, bob dylan, neu, joy division/new order,

I like it raw and pure, bass is very important because it makes or breaks how it sounds many people forget that.

The reason I want a closed headphone is I am the one who listen to it, I don't want any leakage or as less as possible and no one else has to hear the great music I listen to.

The headphones I like are:

Ultrasone Pro 2900

AKG-K551

Beyerdynamic DT-770 32ohm

Audio Technica ATH-Pro700 MK2

Sony MDR-1R

I can't decide, each has it pros and cons when reading reviews and doing research. Maybe even a good open headphone is recommended by you. I am open for advice.

Thanks a lot.

Elroy

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
For me, a good audiophile headphone "out of the box" (i.e. needs no EQ to sound its best) is the FAD Pandora VI, but it's expensive. The Shure SRH-840 has a comparable signature but less detail, and much cheaper. Getting something in-between these two that's perfect out of the box is tricky - I was very impressed by the latest of the MrSpeakers Mad Dog, a planar headphone, but it might not be available everywhere. I was not so impressed with the Alpha Dog that sells for twice as much - weak bass being one fault. The Thinksound ON1, which is a wood-cup on-ear headphone, is excellent, but isn't as perfectly balanced as the Shure 840 for example. The v-moda M100 is a great headphone, particularly if you order the XL earpads, but it has a very strong bass that some users object to.

I've had 110 headphones in the past 3 years, from $1500 on down, and those are the best examples I have - all of the others have issues that may or may not pass acceptance with some users.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I'll second Dales opinion of the Shure SRH 840. I was very impressed when I listened to them, especially given their price - good value.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts