help..my subwoofer wont stay in the same place..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I see you changed your equipment listing. Isn't your system in a permanent state of transition.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:I see you changed your equipment listing. Isn't your system in a permanent state of transition.
emotion-5.gif

never say never
emotion-4.gif

ah you know what strapped, im stuck in the house more often than not, home entertainment is most of my entertainment lately
emotion-40.gif
, so i dont mind allocating the odd few bob to pep up proceedings from time to time, to time
emotion-5.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn:
strapped for cash:I see you changed your equipment listing. Isn't your system in a permanent state of transition.
emotion-5.gif

never say never
emotion-4.gif

ah you know what strapped, im stuck in the house more often than not, home entertainment is most of my entertainment lately
emotion-40.gif
, so i dont mind allocating the odd few bob to pep up proceedings from time to time, to time
emotion-5.gif

I think you should undergo a period of abstinence on the AV-buying front, hoard whatever resources you would have spent, and treat yourself to a holiday (ideally somewhere exotic).

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:maxflinn:
emotion-5.gif

never say never
emotion-4.gif

emotion-40.gif
emotion-5.gif

I think you should undergo a period of abstinence on the AV-buying front, hoard whatever resources you would have spent, and treat yourself to a holiday (ideally somewhere exotic).

that sounds like a plan strapped
emotion-11.gif
, ill have to get my latest bout of upgraditis out of the way first though
emotion-10.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:

im stuck in the house more often than not, home entertainment is most of my entertainment lately
emotion-40.gif
emotion-5.gif

I could not agree with you more there max! I am just the same. Being trying some new missions and Tannoy speakers and could not stand them, anyway hope you like your diyaudio speakers and will have to give us the low down when you get them set-up.

All the best.

Mike.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I have a Tannoy TS12 Sub Woofer + a wood floor - when I purchased this the manual suggested if used on a woodern floor then install the spiken feet the other way around thus giving a flat area for the speaker to sit.

In loud explosions in films or music tracks with very low bass extension the speaker actually moves across the floor!! Not only is this a neucance but as you can imagine sounds aweful! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas - just buy standard rubber feet from a DIY store ? or will this make little difference ? I thought about cutting little squares of carpet but after spending thounands of pounds on hi fi equipment you can imagine this would not be very asthetically pleasing to my room.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Umbucker,

This is a fairly normal occurance, especially with downward firing subwoofers!

I would suggest that you consider a granite plinth. You may use one on top of the sub to weigh it down and optionally, one below.

Besides weighing down your subwoofer, these audio isolation plinths also dampen any induced vibrations and help eliminate the 'smudging' of low frequencies transferring through the floor or carpet - resulting in an improved soundstage, tighter bass and a refined mid-range.

I use these myself for both my subs and the difference is certainly clearly audible to me.

Ronald

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
scene:You might want to see maxflinn's thread on the same subject and the suggestions (including some serious ones) he got to solve the issue.Although I have a number of hard floors, I would never have one in the lounge. Cold, echoy and you cannot use your spikes.

scene

hammill:scene:You might want to see maxflinn's thread on the same subject and the suggestions (including some serious ones) he got to solve the issue.Although I have a number of hard floors, I would never have one in the lounge. Cold, echoy and you cannot use your spikes.
Me too. Carpet underfoot, warm and comfy, suitably deadening.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Id actually disagree with you there - I have heard hifi set ups in fully carpeted rooms and in most cases with Box shaped rooms I dont think the sound is as good. When the floor is carpeted there tends to be an emphasis on sound ripples in corners of the room near the ceiling - unless treated of course. Also with hard surfaces and sound reflection it creates more space for sub frequencies to develop - I find carpeted rooms can have a lack of those ulta low frequencies....

A

Anonymous

007L2Thrill:maxflinn:

im stuck in the house more often than not, home entertainment is most of my entertainment lately
emotion-40.gif
emotion-5.gif

I could not agree with you more there max! I am just the same. Being trying some new missions and Tannoy speakers and could not stand them, anyway hope you like your diyaudio speakers and will have to give us the low down when you get them set-up.

All the best.

Mike.
ah, i hadn't spotted this, thank you kindly sir
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

umbucker:

I have a Tannoy TS12 Sub Woofer + a wood floor - when I purchased this the manual suggested if used on a woodern floor then install the spiken feet the other way around thus giving a flat area for the speaker to sit.

In loud explosions in films or music tracks with very low bass extension the speaker actually moves across the floor!! Not only is this a neucance but as you can imagine sounds aweful! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas - just buy standard rubber feet from a DIY store ? or will this make little difference ? I thought about cutting little squares of carpet but after spending thounands of pounds on hi fi equipment you can imagine this would not be very asthetically pleasing to my room.

Perhaps consider getting a Gramma or Subdude

A

Anonymous

lesmor:umbucker:

Perhaps consider getting a Gramma or Subdude

My mates used to move about on a wooden floor until he used some heavy duty velcro pads.... it don't move now !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts