help..my subwoofer wont stay in the same place..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ive had it on the rubber feet and the spikes, but it makes no difference, everytime theres some heavy bass put through it it starts to move, usually to the left[:|]. my room is tiled over a solid concrete floor, any suggestions?? this is starting to bug me[:#]..

ta..

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Have you considered an exorcism??
emotion-17.gif

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've just ordered an Auralex Subdude (not got it yet). Not sure of your subs dimensions as it seems for quite small subs, but it might be worth a google.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:Place it over a small piece of carpet (although there will be disapproval from some members regarding impact on performance). Check it yourself if you're happy with it.
emotion-21.gif
sounds like a plan bb
emotion-21.gif

ill get some blu-tac tmw too
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

grdunn123:You must have the volume up Max!! What level do you have your amp set at?with dts ma and dolby true hd soundtracks its usually -20..

with dd its about -22..

scene

Sounds like you floor is slightly off true, and you sub is walking downhill. Could this be a case of too much bass Max?
emotion-5.gif

You could use a tile-cutter bit and drill four slight indentations in the floor, where the spikes are. This should stop the walking, but will result in four small holes in the tiles. An alternative would be to glue a rubber mat, slightly larger than the footprint of the sub to the tiles and stand the sub (on the rubber feet) on that. Actually, thinking about it, hot glue a piece of 12mm MDF (footprint slightly bigger than the sub) to the floor and use a countersink bit to drill indentations in it where the spikes go. You can mark their positions by simply placing the sub on the MDF and pressing down on it - should get nice pilot marks from the spikes
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

richardw42:I've just ordered an Auralex Subdude (not got it yet). Not sure of your subs dimensions as it seems for quite small subs, but it might be worth a google.ill check that out if the blu-tac/carpet etc dont do it
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

scene:Sounds like you floor is slightly off true, and you sub is walking downhill. Could this be a case of too much bass Max?
emotion-5.gif

You could use a tile-cutter bit and drill four slight indentations in the floor, where the spikes are. This should stop the walking, but will result in four small holes in the tiles. An alternative would be to glue a rubber mat, slightly larger than the footprint of the sub to the tiles and stand the sub (on the rubber feet) on that. Actually, thinking about it, hot glue a piece of 12mm MDF (footprint slightly bigger than the sub) to the floor and use a countersink bit to drill indentations in it where the spikes go. You can mark their positions by simply placing the sub on the MDF and pressing down on it - should get nice pilot marks from the spikes
emotion-21.gif
thats highly likely scene
emotion-10.gif
, ive been testing/tuning my sub with the plane crash from the blu-ray of "flight of the phoenix" .. the whole room is rumbling
emotion-2.gif

the 12mm mdf with the slight indents sounds like the best suggestion yet, hot gluing sounds a bit messy though (ive never tried it anyway), so ill try the blu-tac underneath the mdf first
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

grdunn123:
I whack mine up to about -10 when I can! But -20 normally. Can't you get the spike couplings and stick them to the floor somehow?
not sure i get you grdunn? what are spike couplings?

A

Anonymous

thanks pete ill ring about them in the morning
emotion-21.gif
.. plenty of good tips there folks, thanks
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm still dumbfounded by this Max!

As an experiment I tried cranking the volume up to -20db, but my sub remained stubbornly in place. I remember you saying the crossover was set to 80Hz. Is the bass set to maximum on your AVR as well? Is it only Flight of the Phoenix that creates the walking sub effect, or has it happenned with other Blu Rays? Is the sub volume set to roughly half as recommended? If you place a spirit-level on top of the sub is there a noticeable gradient to the floor? Sorry, too many questions...

A

Anonymous

the bass is turned up on the speakers strapped, via the equaliser settings on the yam, though this shouldnt affect the subs bass output afaik..

yea its mainly during the scene where the plane comes down in fotp that it moves, the lfe are very strong in that scene but i still dont think the sub should be moving, ive a feeling there's yet more tuning needed..

the subs volume is set to halfway..

the floor is level
emotion-1.gif
, although the tiles aren't dead level, ive adjusted the spikes to compensate though, but they loosen as the sub moves, meaning frequent readjusting of the spikes..

ill try to tune the problem out in the morning, if that dont work ill try scenes suggestion
emotion-21.gif

scene

I think Max's floor must have a bit of a slope on it... Maybe if the sub's put in the downhill corner it will stay there... Max, but a ball on the floor, and wherever it rolls to, put the sub there
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
You could always skip that part of the film????
emotion-4.gif

Then you will stop your sub 'dancing' out of your front door.....
emotion-8.gif

but its my referance roomshaker
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

scene:I think Max's floor must have a bit of a slope on it... Maybe if the sub's put in the downhill corner it will stay there... Max, but a ball on the floor, and wherever it rolls to, put the sub there
emotion-1.gif
the russ andrews subwoofer location optimiser ball, coming to a shop near you soon
emotion-4.gif

if a retune dont work im gonna get the piece of mdf, stick it to the floor with some blu-tac and sit the sub spikes in the indents ill make as per your instructions, i reckon that'll sort it
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts